Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,546,640 times

Advertisements

New Yorkers are apparently not only getting more media coverage, they're also getting free gasoline:
Quote:
New York's governor says the U.S. Department of Defense will set up emergency mobile fuel stations around the New York City metro area.

Free gasoline will be distributed, with a 10-gallon per-person limit.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo also says 8 million gallons of gas has been delivered in New York and another 28 million gallons is on the way. Cuomo says temporary fuel trucks are being sent to key locations in New York City and suburban Long Island for emergency vehicles and the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 03:09 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,058,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
New Yorkers are apparently not only getting more media coverage, they're also getting free gasoline:
Yep, it's definitely election time.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Well, Remembering some of the "on the street interviews" 4 years ago with some of this country's finest, BO did promise free gas. Guess with three days to go to the election, he kicked in. Who said politicians don't keep promises.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM

958 posts, read 2,575,371 times
Its getting more attention in the national news because it affects the anchors personally. This is their home, where as any where else is just that somewhere else.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:41 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Its getting more attention in the national news because it affects the anchors personally. This is their home, where as any where else is just that somewhere else.
You are probably right on this, which makes them very poor journalists.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:01 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,268,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Or is the hysteria that is being generated because the NE area of the USA being hit with a hurricane - over-kill? No one bats an eye when it is one of the Gulf states anymore - but you would think the country is on the verge of collapse if one goes near the NE, according to the over-abundance of news coverage. Florida residents have got be laughing their fannies off, much less in the Houston area.
Quote:
...and our Metro is about 6 million -
As a former resident of Houston who went thorugh Ike, no hurricane is easy to go through in any part of the country. That said, I personally see little to laugh at when a storm shuts down the economic center of the country. The New York MSA is home to nearly 19 million people and Bos-Wsah is home to around 55 million. In case you have never been to the northeast megalopolis, people live in close proximity to one another and many rely on public transit and regional rail. The infrastructure and way of life is nothing like that of the Houston area.

When I did live in Houston, I was happy to see all the electric workers arrive from all over the US, including the northeast, to help restore my power after Ike. Now that I live in the northeast, I am happy to see workers and volunteers from other parts of the country arrive and help my new neighbors. I am grateful we do not need to rely on compassion of folks such as yourself, who smugly sit by and presume an air of superiority when over 100 of your fellow citizens have died in a natural disaster not of their own making, not to mention the tens of thousands who have lost their homes, communities and livelihoods.

If people are laughing at this situation, it says far more about them than it does about the victims trying to recover from this storm.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 11-03-2012 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,776,726 times
Quote:
Let's talk Ike, way after Katrina. Relatives and friends were not even aware of it until I talked to them afterwards.

NYC/Boston/Washington D.C./Philly - compared to Houston/Galveston? Yes, more people amd more effect. But mass hysteria coverage compared to none?

Equivalent - Jodie Foster gets mugged and so does Lindsey Lohan. Which gets more coverage - deserved or not?
Now you have that you have aroused my curiosity, which one (Foster or Lohan) would you say would get the most coverage?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,776,726 times
I apologize, I have not read through all the posts, just the first 4 pages. I have just now seen this thread, but I am going to read it in it's entirety.

In the meantime, I will comment on the media. IMO they are mouth pieces out there doing what they are told to do. As to the higher powers controlling the news coverage, I have many times wondered about them. Whatever the rhyme or reason, I have little respect for our media, period. This is due to many factors: coverage of disasters, coverage of the political scene, the sheer propaganda they at times promote. In essence, I they carry no credibility with me as to the way they can portray the news at times. But, they are a necessary evil and we do need them to at least be able to get a grasp on what issues are at hand. I do contend though, they could do a much better job.

As to Sandy, of course we are all sympathetic. This is destruction at it's worse. I thank God the people are getting as much help as they are, they need it, and we need to help them.

What galls me is the fact the U.S. falls all over itself to help undeveloped foreign countries when they are hard hit with disaster and I don't see anyone going on public forums complaining about it. Well, this tragedy happened right here in our own country. So be it whatever part of the country it is, be glad the government is stepping in to help. I also am glad the media is broadcasting it so much as well, even though they are as usual bias somewhat in the coverage. At least, it will provoke empathy in the country for our countrymen in dire need.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 PM

782 posts, read 1,106,539 times
It is not just that this is the northeast, and it is not just that this is where the media anchors call home. Florida, louisiana abd Texas are supposed to get hit by hurricanes, it is normal and expected. Even the Carolinas on occaision. New York is NOT an area which should be affected by this sort of thing, this is a massive abnormality. The question which could go along with this then being, is this a freak incident, or is it linked to climate change?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Now you have that you have aroused my curiosity, which one (Foster or Lohan) would you say would get the most coverage?
Lohan, by a mile. Foster is talented and leads a decent life, so they ignore her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston