Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM

205 posts, read 247,218 times

Advertisements

I didn't see any mention of the fact that NBC, CBS, FOX, MSNBC are all located in NYC. When a big event happens, they are poised to cover it, before/during/after. They don't have to send a correspondent and crew to somewhere in flyover country, or rely heavily on a local affiliate.
:/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM

15,552 posts, read 10,541,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Because they are based in NYC and LA. If the national media was based out of Houston, the world would hear about every little thing here, too, including heat waves.
^ This! Things are a lot different when the media is actually having to live it.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,961,770 times
Note that in some areas, there is snow with this storm. Not exactly what you expect with a hurricane.

The death toll is still mounting - it killed 69 people in the Carribean and 40 that we know of in the United States so far. I don't believe that all the deaths are accounted for yet.

Sandy covered a very large area and it may even affect Canada as it heads north.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,000,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Here is my point - because it keeps getting missed:

People in the Gulf areas go through this on a regular basis. No sympathy - no news. Just get through it. People in other parts of the country pay little or absolutely no attention to the tribulations these people go through.

Now it is going to hit in a different part of the country. I have had friends and relatives calling from that area, asking what to do, in a total panic. I have tried to help.

Yet.... yet, when one is due to strike here - they never call. They just assume (if they even hear at all, which is usually not) that I will be OK. To be fair, most never even hear that something may hit.

My point is how uneven coverage is - not how I wish people in the NE be smashed.
I'm not unsympathetic but a lot of the pictures I'm seeing I akin to people in Galveston. You live right on the water.

Show me some flooding way inland. Now that's bad. The waters crush Galveston...well duh. Crushing all those areas in Queens right smack dab on the water...well duh. That's kind of a given. It's bad but still, it's a given.

I mean show me some flooding in Paterson, NJ. That's 39 miles from Queens. That's holy hell bad storm. I've been in Spring and have seen some bad flooding from something hitting Galveston. 72 miles away.

Right by the water is a duh. That's like showing homes along the seawall gone. It's right on the water. That's a risk you take. Anything can happen.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,162,167 times
Oh cry me river, the gulf coast gets hit by hurricanes all the time, nobody gives sh*t. When it hits the east coast(new York) all of a sudden it's the end of the world, the world is supposed to stop what they're doing.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Oh cry me river, the gulf coast gets hit by hurricanes all the time, nobody gives sh*t. When it hits the east coast(new York) all of a sudden it's the end of the world, the world is supposed to stop what they're doing.
It's NYC. It is the end of the world. How will the US exist without the Big Apple

Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,961,770 times
Paterson got the wind and there are lots of trees down.

They may get some flooding - remember there are rivers in Paterson. They definitely flooded from Irene. The Passaic River overflowed in Paterson during Irene.

County by county flooding in New Jersey.

Hurricane Sandy: N.J. county by county evacuations, flooding, closings | NJ.com

You do not have to be by the ocean to get flooding.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Paterson got the wind and there are lots of trees down.

They may get some flooding - remember there are rivers in Paterson. They definitely flooded from Irene. The Passaic River overflowed in Paterson during Irene.

County by county flooding in New Jersey.

Hurricane Sandy: N.J. county by county evacuations, flooding, closings | NJ.com

You do not have to be by the ocean to get flooding.

I know. What I meant was like on Yahoo all the pictures you see the ocean in the distance. Show me some without that because that's bad. Of course the people right by are getting the worst and that's sad but a given. They're right there!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,744,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Sandy covered a very large area and it may even affect Canada as it heads north.
Actually Canada was hit pretty hard by Sandy as well with some power outages reported in Southern Ontario and Quebec.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,436,955 times
We are going to see the downside of heavy dependence upon Mass Transit in this one.... will take over a week to get it back is what I am hearing. They cant survive without it so there is no plan B.

I agree... anything that happens back East and in Cali get a lot of news... the bi coastal focus of this country. Also note the NYT editorial claiming Sandy shows how much we need a big gov citing Katrina. They didnt notice how much preparation by a local gov can make these disasters more manageable...such as Rita, which missed but was headed for Houston.

That said. I feel for those back east and wish them well in a speedy recovery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston