Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,210,253 times

Advertisements

Or is the hysteria that is being generated because the NE area of the USA being hit with a hurricane - over-kill? No one bats an eye when it is one of the Gulf states anymore - but you would think the country is on the verge of collapse if one goes near the NE, according to the over-abundance of news coverage. Florida residents have got be laughing their fannies off, much less in the Houston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,868,420 times
It's a city of over 8 million people. Of course there will be hysteria when a storm this large takes aim at it. It's kinda a big deal when lower Manhattan floods (New York Stock Exchange, Ground Zero, subway system). Have you been paying attention to the news? If not you might want to check out some of the photos of the flooding throughout lower Manhattan. Pretty incredible.

I doubt anyone is laughing at this: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-on-sandy?lite

Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,276,599 times
Actually I was thinking the same thing as Chery.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
It's a city of over 8 million people. Of course there will be hysteria when a storm this large takes aim at it. It's kinda a big deal when lower Manhattan floods (New York Stock Exchange, Ground Zero, subway system). Have you been paying attention to the news? If not you might want to check out some of the photos of the flooding throughout lower Manhattan. Pretty incredible.

I doubt anyone is laughing at this: Live updates on Sandy - U.S. News
...and our Metro is about 6 million - but you never hear this level of hysteria when it is directed at Galveston (add that number to the 6M of Houston) and Houston. I am not saying it is not a big deal - but no more than when it hits this area.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 PM

...and, yes, I have been keeping up with the news... Not my point.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,014,833 times
Our weather people go bonkers when we get any sort of system in the Gulf -- I really have no idea if CNN broadcasts our stuff to all these other states. Like "OMG look this scaffolding fell" well duh ... yeah wind usually does take that stuff down even when it isn't a hurricane. Our news coverage of even heavy rain is ridiculous -- I think its what they do. However other states don't give a flip about Texas, even when its bad.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Our weather people go bonkers when we get any sort of system in the Gulf -- I really have no idea if CNN broadcasts our stuff to all these other states. Like "OMG look this scaffolding fell" well duh ... yeah wind usually does take that stuff down even when it isn't a hurricane. Our news coverage of even heavy rain is ridiculous -- I think its what they do. However other states don't give a flip about Texas, even when its bad.
No kidding. After Tropical Storm Allison (far worse damage than IKE) - Houston just picked itself up and went to work. I do not remember any coverage other than local.

However, my favorite coverage anywhere is the idiot newspeople standing in high water while reporting. Gotta love 'em.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
...and our Metro is about 6 million - but you never hear this level of hysteria when it is directed at Galveston (add that number to the 6M of Houston) and Houston. I am not saying it is not a big deal - but no more than when it hits this area.
A hurricane hitting the Houston/Galveston area is not even close to the area affected by Sandy which is a massive storm affecting some of the biggest metros in the country (Boston, NYC, Philly, Washington D.C.). NWS is reporting 3 feet of water flooding the New York Stock Exchange. That's why it's getting more attention than Ike.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
No kidding. After Tropical Storm Allison (far worse damage than IKE) - Houston just picked itself up and went to work. I do not remember any coverage other than local.

However, my favorite coverage anywhere is the idiot newspeople standing in high water while reporting. Gotta love 'em.
Weather coverage has definitely intensified since Allison because of Katrina. A natural disaster hitting the Northeast/Mid Atlantic has a much larger ripple effect on the U.S. and world compared to Houston. Are we really comparing NYC/Boston/Washington D.C./Philly to Houston/Galveston??

Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,709,946 times
IMO, it's all about the "NYC narcissism" that the media promotes to the hilt. The Apple is more important than Gulf Coast cities. Grrrrrr.

Cherry we've been thinking the same thing as you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston