Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
IMO, it's all about the "NYC narcissism" that the media promotes to the hilt. The Apple is more important than Gulf Coast cities. Grrrrrr.

Cherry we've been thinking the same thing as you!
Why do you blame NY?
The media did the exact same thing with Tampa just a few months ago.

Tropical Storm Isaac postpones Republican convention in Florida - Aug. 25 2012

Isaac following track of Katrina eerily, evacuations ordered - Aug. 27 2012

Quote:
It appeared early Monday that the storm’s ferocity would mostly bypass Florida’s west coast and the Republican National Convention in Tampa, where the schedule was pushed back a day by organizers over concerns about the storm.
Isaac’s eye is forecast to pass well west of Tampa.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM

840 posts, read 1,120,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You must have been taking a NAP in 2005 because the Katrina Hurricane in New Orleans had around the clock coverage of that disaster

Yes, and they did very little reporting on other areas that were hard hit.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
OK - the storm in the NE was really, really bad.

My whole issue was the media. What we hear is what appeals to them. If they are fascinated with a storm hitting NYC - they go on and on and on and on. If they aren't, they ignore it or just say very little. It really has nothing to do with how big the story really is. That makes it difficult to tell what is serious and what is just overblown.

The media followed every minute thing in the Casey Anthony trial - yet, similiar trials happen elsewhere without national media attention. Why?

I believe it was a big Iraqui surge story that was interrupted to give us a "breaking" story about Lindsey Lohan going to jail for 15 minutes.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
OK - the storm in the NE was really, really bad.

My whole issue was the media. What we hear is what appeals to them.
Because they are based in NYC and LA. If the national media was based out of Houston, the world would hear about every little thing here, too, including heat waves.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
I did think the coverage is excessive, but it always is, especially with a storm in the Northeast.

You have to remember:
-structures tend to be a lot older in these areas (I have a lot of friends who live in buildings Houstonians would find gross.)
-more densely populated small states and cities
-Northerners not used to hurricanes
-New York City is not the only city in the US but it is our largest city and urban area and an important cultural, political, and economic center for the US
-and many media outlets are located there

I mean, what meteorologist doesn't get a hard-on from seeing a huge storm approaching? They always have to hide their excitement by qualifying any statements they say with "in the worst possible way." It's a time when they actually are semi-relevant.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
I always hear plenty of news when there is a bad hurricane, whether it`s in the gulf or up the east coast. I haven`t noticed if there is more this time, it seems the same to me. But one can use your logic in sports as well. The N.Y. Yankees get an abundance of coverage and more national attention than any other baseball team. And since Texas was mentioned, the Dallas Cowboys get more national attention than any other football team. The Lakers seem to get more media attention than most other basketball teams. Democratic candidates get more favorable press than republicans. So I guess the mainstream national media isn`t fair in their coverage of weather, sports, or politics.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I mean, what meteorologist doesn't get a hard-on from seeing a huge storm approaching?.
Female meteorolgist? At least I hope they don`t!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:56 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Wow...over 8 million people without power

Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM

23,986 posts, read 15,086,618 times
I'm told by a relative that 36 media executives decide everything we see and hear in the USA. I forget the number of outlets, but they are controlled by the 36.

I guess it will not get any better. There was some controversy during one of those storms about 5 or 6 years ago because all the tv was coming out of major markets. All of the radio had been consolidated and was coming from LA or someplace. There was no way for any local news. Some guy was running a little station out of his kitchen. Turned out, that was the only way to communicate for the small towns . I think he was in Mississippi. After that, the FCC started using that as a reason to allow more little stations.

We need to just turn it off and go to alternative and independents.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:27 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Wow...over 8 million people without power
What is even worse is the fact that in NYC several of the subway/roadway tunnels (which are estimated to take four days to be put back into service) and even the airports such as LaGuardia and JFK were flooded with saltwater which means several electrical componants will need to be replaced.

Not only will this affect transportation within the region but it will also affect air traffic throughout the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston