Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM

8,275 posts, read 8,006,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Or is the hysteria that is being generated because the NE area of the USA being hit with a hurricane - over-kill? No one bats an eye when it is one of the Gulf states anymore - but you would think the country is on the verge of collapse if one goes near the NE, according to the over-abundance of news coverage. Florida residents have got be laughing their fannies off, much less in the Houston area.
It's not just you. They got hit by a relatively minor storm (Cat 1 wasn't it?). They also lost power in the fall when it isn't 95 degrees like it is in the gulf states when a hurricane hits. No one cared when Ike hit Houston and people were without power for 3 weeks in 95 degree heat.

The reason this has been such a big deal is because the storm hit the NYC area, which is where the news media is headquartered. Also, (and this is my opinion) people in the tri-state area tend to be pretty detached from what happens in the rest of the country, so everything that happens to them is the best/worst thing ever.

Last edited by War Beagle; 11-13-2012 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 03:40 PM

20,554 posts, read 33,785,764 times
Stop the lies. I was living in DC in 2008 when Ike hit and there was round the clock coverage on all channels. The cat one storm merged with another system and it was a cold wet lower 50s to upper 20s and raining and snowing in some parts. It affected over 40 million people. Ike affected 6 million. Two of the country's largest economic powerhouses was down for 48 hours. Quit being insensitive. It has affected hundreds if thousands of people. People still have no power and its in the 30s in some places. Mad because people don't pay attention to you like they do others. People are still dying and you worried about news coverage.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM

4,406 posts, read 4,696,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
This doesn't represent all Houstonians. You guys know that.

On the flipside, when Texas was dealing with the wildfires last year, I saw sooo many vitriolic comments online. None from any particular state. Just people commenting from different parts of the country. I saw comments like "I hope Texas burns" to "Burn baby Burn" to "F-- Texas!". (I'm curious as to know how you and others feel (or felt) about this, when many were dealing with losing property, and etc. to the fires.)

These aren't the kind of comments nor sentiments coming from the OP nor myself and others, in regards to the people having dealt with, and dealing with the aftermath of Sandy.

However, there is an anti-Houston sentiment in this very thread with some who are disputing the OP, as the mentality dictates that NYC and those on the eastern seaboard are more important than those of us living in Houston.

Nevertheless, the OP (as I am) is simply questioning the integrity of the media as a whole, as how it picks and chooses who deserves coverage.
Hey I see you're point there, it goes either way no matter where you're from. I wouldn't look at this thread and say that represents the bulk of Houstonians but really what I see is a lack of respect for human beings. And that's not a regional thing that's unfortunately a savage human trait. Sometimes we express emotions with no sympathy when the problem seems so far away. Like if you think there's too much coverage cool whatever, but people have died, homes have been destroyed. Have a little sympathy, it's a time and place for everything and I don't think it was the time nor place to create this thread. And the same goes for people making comments when Texas had it's wildfires. I think when people see news on TV they forget this is not a television show but this is real life. It might be sensationalized a bit but it's still real life.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Stop the lies. I was living in DC in 2008 when Ike hit and there was round the clock coverage on all channels. The cat one storm merged with another system and it was a cold wet lower 50s to upper 20s and raining and snowing in some parts. It affected over 40 million people. Ike affected 6 million. Two of the country's largest economic powerhouses was down for 48 hours. Quit being insensitive. It has affected hundreds if thousands of people. People still have no power and its in the 30s in some places. Mad because people don't pay attention to you like they do others. People are still dying and you worried about news coverage.
Half of Manhattan never lost power.

Last edited by War Beagle; 11-13-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
They are blue-staters. It's almost like it happened to a different country.
Seriously? You bringing that up.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Seriously? You bringing that up.
Sure- it's like it happened to Canadians. Don' get me wrong, I don't want anything bad to happen to them, but I feel no particular kinship to them in the same way I would if it happened to Texas or another part of the country.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Sure- it's like it happened to Canadians. Don' get me wrong, I don't want anything bad to happen to them, but I feel no particular kinship to them in the same way I would if it happened to Texas or another part of the country.
They are Americans, just like you are. That alone is the kinship you have with them and news flash, there are people in Texas that does not see eye to eye with you as well.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
They are Americans, just like you are. That alone is the kinship you have with them and news flash, there are people in Texas that does not see eye to eye with you as well.
"American" is just a word from a bygone era when the different parts of the country held at least some common values. By and large, I don't share the values of New Yorkers or people from Jersey and they don't share my values. We are a broken country being held together by the duct tape that is the Federal government. So no, I don't feel any sort of kinship for them.

And you are right - there are plenty of Texans who don't share my views, but I don't have any more to do with them than I have to.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM

739 posts, read 1,194,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
The sentiment doesn’t reflect all Houstonians, but the fact that you hear these comments in public means it’s definitely there. My friends hear it quite often since locals let their guard down around them since my friends look more local. What we also noticed were that the women allowed their men to act and spout out although they may feel differently. They look the other way, wait and just let it pass. As the saying goes, “behind every great man is a great woman.”

But that still doesn't reflect the mentality of the general population/or majority of Houstonians. And you're talking about a friggin' bar, man. You will hear and see almost anything, especially when liquor is involved.

When people hear stories like US-born, Latino only buses and classrooms in the late 90s, you’re not going to receive favorable reactions. This occurred in Sugarland, not BFT.

The apathy doesn’t help either.

“Well, it’s gotten better now in 2012!”

“They are doing and saying the same thing, too!”
I don't know how that relates to the current subject at hand so i will refrain from further commenting.

However, I am still curious to know your stance regarding the negative and vitriolic comments made (that I posted) towards Texas and Texans during the wildfires last year.

Quote:
The media does give NYC extra attention due to the fact NYC has a tremendous impact domestically and globally in almost every market. I would say that makes NYC one the most important cities in the country. It does not marginalize the people here or anywhere else. Therein lies the rub. Insecure people take everything personal and to heart. ID issues.
Not at all. Again, let me reiterate: We're not saying that NYC shouldn't have rendered ample coverage. I agree with the importance of NYC. But Houston isn't any less important. With oil rigs in relative close proximity to the coast line, as well as all the oil refineries. The size and magnitude of Ike, the multiple millions that stood threatened in the path of the storm. There were millions w/o power for weeks here. It should've gotten ample coverage as well.

Just to let you know that indeed there was zero coverage, ABC's Good Morning America anchor (and a personal favorite of mine's) Robin Roberts was down in Galveston about a year or so after Ike hit. She toured the area, and she stated: "We should've been down here." For her to say that meant that she knew there was little to no media coverage regarding the storm.

Last edited by Queen Palm; 11-13-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,930,505 times
Quote:
"American" is just a word from a bygone era when the different parts of the country held at least some common values. By and large, I don't share the values of New Yorkers or people from Jersey and they don't share my values. We are a broken country being held together by the duct tape that is the Federal government. So no, I don't feel any sort of kinship for them.

And you are right - there are plenty of Texans who don't share my views, but I don't have any more to do with them than I have to.
You don't share views with probably 99% of Texans. You represent a very very small segment of Texas that most Texans chose to ignore and hope goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston