Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:44 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times

Advertisements

Yes, people are leaving California and moving to Texas
What I can't stand is people constantly going around saying that the main reason is political.

I guarantee that the main reason for most people to move from California to Texas is the price of real estate, which has nothing to do with liberal vs conservative.

And if it was the other way around, I guarantee that people here would be saying
"Texas real estate is more expensive than California's because Texas is better"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
You'd be surprised of how many people I've met that moved here without having a job offer

Old 10-20-2012, 09:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You'd be surprised of how many people I've met that moved here without having a job offer

Sure. But did they "quit" their existing job to move here without a job? And if they did, is their IQ over or under 30?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,244 times
I haven't followed this thread closely enough to wanna take sides in the last few comments. But, I think it overlooks another group of people who, while being ignored here, are not such a small group. That is, people who have worked in CA for some time and are now thinking about where they can retire and still feel comfortable about their prospects for living well. I dunno if that demographic is of interest to anywhere reading here, but it is not an insignificant number of people, nor is their home-buying budget easily ignored.

I am from Texas, but have strong ties to CA also. Obviously, there are lots of reasons why people move to one or the other. I am ok with people having their own preferences. I admit that ... when it gets the better of me ... I sometimes get annoyed with people who feel they have to trash people for feeling differently. Please, I'm not directing that comment at anyone here, maybe it's just a reaction to an overall vibe I've seen on several threads here.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I haven't followed this thread closely enough to wanna take sides in the last few comments. But, I think it overlooks another group of people who, while being ignored here, are not such a small group. That is, people who have worked in CA for some time and are now thinking about where they can retire and still feel comfortable about their prospects for living well. I dunno if that demographic is of interest to anywhere reading here, but it is not an insignificant number of people, nor is their home-buying budget easily ignored.

I am from Texas, but have strong ties to CA also. Obviously, there are lots of reasons why people move to one or the other. I am ok with people having their own preferences. I admit that ... when it gets the better of me ... I sometimes get annoyed with people who feel they have to trash people for feeling differently. Please, I'm not directing that comment at anyone here, maybe it's just a reaction to an overall vibe I've seen on several threads here.
It's called ignorance and yes it's very prevalent on these threads.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM

189 posts, read 362,468 times
Because California is the most beautiful, most important state in the country with near perfect weather. It has beaches, mountains, national parks and has been the center of innovation and creativity. It really represents what comes to mind when people think of USA. NYC is a distant second.

It is the same reason why people all over the word are obsessed with USA - jealousy.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM

101 posts, read 128,081 times
Gov Jerry Brown trashing Gov Rick Perry.

Editorial: Pity Rick Perry; his big state has big needs - Editorials - The Sacramento Bee

Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRall View Post
If I were Jerry Brown, I would be mad too. Its funny because many native Texans often trash Californians and moan and complain that were coming here in large numbers, but the government is pushing for it hard core.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
I think the obsession comes from the large number of relo's coming here for political, economy, job market and lower cost housing. The concern is California got in the shape it is in by the people. People don't change their ideologies or voting ways just because they move and nobody wants to see the voters turn Texas into the same mess that is California. No matter how beautiful a place may be, if you can't find a job or buy a home then life isn't so Beautiful.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
I think the OP is tilting at windmills, but the fact is the whole world is "obsessed" with California. My uncle in Seattle was upset that his visiting relatives from Italy kept going on and on about California while they were staying at his home in Seattle. He is a proud Seattle-ite. Whatever the reasons, California just is. That's it. Let's move on.
That's funny because it's true. There is a song by a band called Local H that is essentially a complaint about how so many bands and musicians feel the need to write songs about CA. My favorite lyric in the song is about how these bands are constantly "sending back reports on the radio".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston