Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,843 times

Advertisements

Everyone likes pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhomer View Post
This is California

This is Texas

Any questions?

California, not Texas was the birthplace of freeways, McMansions, & cookie cutter neighborhoods.

Lets lay our facts out on the table.

How about you post a picture with all of SF's homeless people or LA's bowl of smog next time?

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-18-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 PM

848 posts, read 2,128,207 times
Been there, done that. Lived in SoCal for four years. Great times, tough times...but I am certainly glad to be back in Houston. No "obession" for me. Nope.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
Actually looks more like California is obsessed with Texas:

America as Texas vs. California: Who

Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Actually looks more like California is obsessed with Texas:

America as Texas vs. California: Who
Believe me they are on CD. Just head over to the CA forum and post this Don't forget to grab your favorite snack and drink afterwards!

The CA cheerleaders have so much hate and ignorance about TX....but it is quite entertaining to say the least.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times

I think this is what Houstonians mean when they aspire to be a "world-class city". Los Angeles is the model for the suburban lifestyle. This is where the "California Dream", an elaboration on the "American Dream", was created. It's the one where one drives on the freeways to get to work and come home to a house-and-lot with a two car garage with another car already inside. The one where Saturday afternoons are spent grilling in the backyard in sunny weather with perfect temperatures.

The place where sprawl is a paradox of density and distance (a.k.a. "dense sprawl").

Hopefully as Houston grows, there will be enough money flowing in to upgrade the museums further, the remaining 2 affiliate TV stations are acquired by the networks and a downtown that rivals Chicago in architecture and density but with suburbs that rival Los Angeles. Hopefully that will attract headquarters that not only outnumber DFW's numbers but maybe NYC's and IAH is the busiest (hub) airport, not only in the country, but on the continent!

That picture is so beautiful. No wonder I love California--it's the only populated place West of the Rockies! (You'll understand if you took a road trip from here to there. New Mexico and Arizona are so empty but surprisingly the Panhandle too!) Houston is too green on satellite photos--can't tell if there is anything under the trees.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:37 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
I think its always a good idea to keep an eye on California. Watch what their gov does then see how it works out so you dont end up like CA texans....otherwise ... cost of living so high eating at out In n out burger is touted as one of the top things to do it seems to me...how can a burger place be subject to such "worship'? Its a good inexpensive burger nothing more...is there nothing better to do?

On the other hand Trader Joe's is great!

Also being a world class city is over rated...major commonality is high cost of living so limited option for most to have a nice lifestyle.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 10-20-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 02:12 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

I think this is what Houstonians mean when they aspire to be a "world-class city". Los Angeles is the model for the suburban lifestyle. This is where the "California Dream", an elaboration on the "American Dream", was created. It's the one where one drives on the freeways to get to work and come home to a house-and-lot with a two car garage with another car already inside. The one where Saturday afternoons are spent grilling in the backyard in sunny weather with perfect temperatures.

The place where sprawl is a paradox of density and distance (a.k.a. "dense sprawl").

Hopefully as Houston grows, there will be enough money flowing in to upgrade the museums further, the remaining 2 affiliate TV stations are acquired by the networks and a downtown that rivals Chicago in architecture and density but with suburbs that rival Los Angeles. Hopefully that will attract headquarters that not only outnumber DFW's numbers but maybe NYC's and IAH is the busiest (hub) airport, not only in the country, but on the continent!

That picture is so beautiful. No wonder I love California--it's the only populated place West of the Rockies! (You'll understand if you took a road trip from here to there. New Mexico and Arizona are so empty but surprisingly the Panhandle too!) Houston is too green on satellite photos--can't tell if there is anything under the trees.

Sorry, I'll take Houston over LA any day.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:32 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
All of a sudden the Houston forum got a bunch of "California" threads.

Why are people in Houston obsessed with California?For one thing, city-data already has a California forum where people can go and talk about California.

I'm happy in Houston, I love Houston, I have relatives in the San Francisco bay area and I really don't care about what/why California is the way it is.
It's called penis envy.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,888 times
Well I really don't know which place is "Better" but "Taco Tuesdays" at the Mi Ranchito restaurant in Newport Beach, CA was simply awesome. I have never seen so many beautiful blondes in my life. If you are ever in the OC on a Tuesday check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston