Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 PM

29 posts, read 173,883 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am being relocated due to work to Houston. I currently live in Southern California. I have no idea what it is like out there. I have 2 little girls and one is 7 and in 2nd grade I do not want to move into Houston city but some where on the outskirts. Could someone please tell me where a nice safe area is to raise my family. We absolutly love the city of Flower Mound in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Please advise of a similar area near Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 PM

200 posts, read 899,992 times
Me too relocating from Orange County. If you want advice from the locals, you need to tell them where you will be working for them to give you an idea of commute times and safe areas. For example Kingwood is great but I will work in Sugarland and it is a 2 hour commute. So the more info the better for the board. Also let them know if you are renting or buying and if buying price range. That will help you get the help you need.

Personally after visiting Houston, I think we both are nuts to leave SO CA.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:19 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVH View Post

Oh great, the whining begins.

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:36 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Where will you be working? Houston is a big city and commute must be taken into account.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:55 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVH View Post
Me too relocating from Orange County. If you want advice from the locals, you need to tell them where you will be working for them to give you an idea of commute times and safe areas. For example [LEFT]Kingwood[/LEFT] is great but I will work in [LEFT]Sugarland[/LEFT] and it is a 2 hour commute. So the more info the better for the board. Also let them know if you are renting or buying and if buying price range. That will help you get the help you need.

We were transferred from Ca. as well....Would I like to go back? Sure! But Houston is a great place to live as well. Yes, the heat can be a bit much, the bugs a [LEFT]nuisance[/LEFT]....but the people make it what it is! Give it a chance!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:43 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Oh great, the whining begins.

Thanks.
LOL!
No one can afford where their from , so we get to hear the complaints after they have moved into their big house that they could only dream of in their home state.
I have a friend who has been here 20 years and still complains how much she hates houston and how great California is , yet never leaves...

Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Well, I grew up in Southern California and I would NEVER move back. I love living in Sugar Land. I am sure there are many former Californians who would agree with me. rcandeleria, if the job will be within a commuting distance from Sugar Land, consider this area. The City of Sugar Land Web site is a good source of info. Mostly master planned communities with excellent schools (check out ratings and parent reviews at GreatSchools.net). Very family friendly area with lots of parks and things for children to do.

There are many nice areas surrounding Houston. Like other posters have said, your work location will determine your choices. Although when we moved here everyone told us to live close to my husband's job but we chose Sugar Land, anyway, and we don't regret it at all even though my husband's commute is 40+ miles each way. Since he can go mostly 65+ mph with no stressful stop and go traffic on the toll way, it isn't as awful as Southern California commuting tends to be. Plus, the cost of gasoline is causing many Houston employers to allow employees to work from home one day per week. After you've been on the job for awhile, you can negotiate that.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:48 AM

29 posts, read 173,883 times
Default Sugar Land looks good

Sugar Land looks very nice with the water front homes. However, just wanted to mention that we will be selling our home here and moving into an apartment temporarily while we get settled to hunt for the best neighborhoods. Are there nice apartment/ condo communities in Sugar Land? Can you recommend the nicer ones? Which elementary school is best?

Someone mentioned that we should inform where exactly I will be working, to get the best advice. I will be working in downtown Houston. How far is the commute to Sugar Land? Is this unreasonable - should we look elsewhere?

Has anyone been to the city of Flower Mound in the Dallas/ Fort Worth Metroplex? Please compare and contrast Sugar Land to Flower Mound.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandelaria View Post
Sugar Land looks very nice with the water front homes. However, just wanted to mention that we will be selling our home here and moving into an apartment temporarily while we get settled to hunt for the best neighborhoods. Are there nice apartment/ condo communities in Sugar Land? Can you recommend the nicer ones? Which elementary school is best?

Someone mentioned that we should inform where exactly I will be working, to get the best advice. I will be working in downtown Houston. How far is the commute to Sugar Land? Is this unreasonable - should we look elsewhere?

Has anyone been to the city of Flower Mound in the Dallas/ Fort Worth Metroplex? Please compare and contrast Sugar Land to Flower Mound.
Sugar Land to downtown Houston isn't a bad commute. Google Maps is good at estimating commute time...it usually gives one estimate for non-traffic times and another longer one for high traffic times.

Houston Transtar is a great Web site for watching traffic patterns and how they change during different times of the commute.

There are a lot of good schools in Sugar Land. Look at the ratings at GreatSchools.net as one source for finding the best ones. I'm only familiar with Walker Station Elementary and it is exemplary. Once you have your lease you will want to register because school starts the third week of August for Fort Bend ISD.

I don't know much about apartment complexes in Sugar Land or Flower Mound. Someone else might be able to make suggestions about those.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 AM

637 posts, read 3,236,607 times
Quote:
Hello,
Quote:
I am being relocated due to work to Houston. I currently live in Southern California. I have no idea what it is like out there. I have 2 little girls and one is 7 and in 2nd grade I do not want to move into Houston city but some where on the outskirts. Could someone please tell me where a nice safe area is to raise my family. We absolutly love the city of Flower Mound in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Please advise of a similar area near Houston

If you currently live in or like areas such as Valencia, Agoura, T-Oaks, Irvine, Dana Point, Simi Valley etc... You will fit right in living in The Woodlands Tx as it's just like those places only with a lot more trees. Also add a LOT more humidity, rain and bugs. Your commute will also be similar to Houston from The Woodlands as it would be from the above cities to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston