Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,839,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Well the % of each group won't rise. One or more group's % has to go down. I do think that the non-hispanic white % may actually rise as the metro rail makes more and more "hoods" accessible. Gentrification will run out more and more lower and middle class families as we watch Houston's income disparity soar even more.
Well skip the hood part, the white % will probably shrink throughout the whole metro since according to websites, 89,000 whites moved to or were born there last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,972,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Well skip the hood part, the white % will probably shrink throughout the whole metro since according to websites, 89,000 whites moved to or were born there last decade.
I don't ever talk metro. I have no interest in the suburbs. I only like to talk about Houston, and I do believe that the demographics inside the city limits, perhaps just inside the loop, are going to begin to change.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 AM

7,896 posts, read 11,455,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Real estate and lending markets are in the toilet, especially for huge skyscrapers.

Which isn't built right? It could happen though, especially if some come up around Dynamo stadium and throughout East Downtown as it gentrifies.

Outside of the Ashby Highrise and the few people it would have personally angered, do the people of Houston want zoning laws for buildings? It's one of the identities of Houston that you notice when you get here.
How then is ExxonMobil buillding a new campus or BP built a new building? Houston is unique in that major oils can build without the help of the clueless building finance community, and they wont build until they are sure of the longer term demand which they produce. How did the Hess building get financed in DT, perhaps it was before the financial collapse?

You wont see major corporations building large offices in most cities so once again Houston is different than most

Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM

16,514 posts, read 26,417,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
How then is ExxonMobil buillding a new campus or BP built a new building? Houston is unique in that major oils can build without the help of the clueless building finance community, and they wont build until they are sure of the longer term demand which they produce. How did the Hess building get financed in DT, perhaps it was before the financial collapse?

You wont see major corporations building large offices in most cities so once again Houston is different than most
The campus on 59 and the Beltway? That's not a skyscraper, I don't know of any others going up by BP.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM

391 posts, read 924,347 times
Here is what I expect in Houston by 2020:

#1. Houston will overtake Chicago as the 3rd largest city in the USA with an estimated population of 2,608,822 while Chicago continues to receed in population down to 2,510,447.

#2. Grand Parkway will be complete from TX-146 in Baytown counter-clockwise around to IH-45. The segment A from IH-45 to TX-146 will be under construction.

#3. 5 Allen Center will be complete in downtown Houston

#4. Dallas will still be infinitely inferior to Houston (sorry had to throw that in there!!)

#5. TX-35 will be under construction from US-90A to BW-8

#6. US-290 will be under construction from IH-610 to TX-99 being widened from 3 lanes in each directions to 4 general lanes in each direction and 3 managed lanes in each direction.

#7. IH-69 will be complete between Houston and Corpus Christi and from Houston to Lufkin.

#8. US-90, the Crosby Freeway will have the missing freeway segments complete.

#9. TX-249 tollway will be complete from just north of Spring-Cypress Road to TX-105.

#10. All light rail segments will be complete for MetroRAIL.

#11. Commuter rail will still not be in the Houston area.

#12. Freeways/Tollways will still be king in Houston.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,839,120 times
All of this in 8 years time??? WOW

Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 PM

20,531 posts, read 33,647,254 times
You need to lower your expectations on population. I highly doubt 500,000 people move to to the city of Houston 2020 by to put it at 2.6 million. The trends are not showing that is going to happen. If anything, it should be at 2.3 million. And the reason why Chicago fell is because they tore down the projects. Chicago is actually booming right now with more highrises going up than anywhere else except New York. I don't expect their decline to last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston