Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,499,896 times

Advertisements

Just makes me sick to my stomach. It's too commonplace to blame it on the economy, as if it's an excuse. Poverty doesn't justify beating up somebody. Even if the economy picks up next year, believe me, these bums will keep robbing inoncent people, it's a way of life for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 AM

344 posts, read 1,188,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
No doubt. The rep at the alarm company went on about the need for an alarm permit (aka money grab). Now the police don't respond a second time if your permit isn't current? Your tax dollars down the drain..
It would probably save more of our money to just stop responding to residential burglar alarm calls.

Grits for Breakfast: False alarms are the "single greatest waste of law enforcement resources" in America, but political third rail

Old 01-14-2012, 03:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,368,739 times
A close friend of mine who lives in Westbury, also had her home broken into last night! Luckily, they were caught.

I'm not sure what's going on in Westbury, but if you live there, please be careful. You all have my prayers.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:20 PM

970 posts, read 1,876,838 times
What's happened to Westbury?! Used to be a nice middle-class area back in the '60s - '70s. Loved going to Westbury Square esp. at Christmas.........it was a treat!

Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,552,203 times
i know an old lady that survived, only reason not dead after 3 days torture was that they ran a red light on the way to kill and bury her (she was tied up in the back seat). she is a good friend of mine. in bagdad they would be already long time dead but here they are still on trial. bagdad has low prison population. a trial takes about 4 hours.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:42 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,861,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
What's happened to Westbury?! Used to be a nice middle-class area back in the '60s - '70s.
Same thing that happened to Sharpstown and Alief: nice middle-class neighborhoods get surrounded by block upon block of cheap-rent apartments, schools start to go bad, and things go downhill. Though the residential single-family home neighborhoods are still quite lovely, they're just so close to bad areas dominated by transients and a criminal element. Sad.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,499,896 times
Another elferly couple stabbed! What is wrong with America??? Enough already! There should be harsher penalties and more epedient trials.
Robber stabs elderly couple, steals car - Local News - Houston, TX - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45999759/ns/local_news-houston_tx/ - broken link)

Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,739,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Though the residential single-family home neighborhoods are still quite lovely, they're just so close to bad areas dominated by transients and a criminal element. Sad.
That area (and Meyerland) looks very similar to older sections of Clear Lake. Unfortunately right next to it is the notorious Fondren Southwest element.

I can't understand how someone could commit a crime like this. I also can't understand why anyone would want to retire in that area either.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:53 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,821,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Another elferly couple stabbed! What is wrong with America??? Enough already! There should be harsher penalties and more epedient trials.
Robber stabs elderly couple, steals car - Local News - Houston, TX - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45999759/ns/local_news-houston_tx/ - broken link)
This makes me cringe.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:53 PM

970 posts, read 1,876,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Same thing that happened to Sharpstown and Alief: nice middle-class neighborhoods get surrounded by block upon block of cheap-rent apartments, schools start to go bad, and things go downhill. Though the residential single-family home neighborhoods are still quite lovely, they're just so close to bad areas dominated by transients and a criminal element. Sad.

Yes.....I have heard that about Sharpstown in particular..............BUT, while going through the old neighborhood in Braesmont, I see some "gentrifying" going on. As you move toward Meyerland, it just speeds up.

Remember when Bellaire was "ick?"...............Not anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston