Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 AM

847 posts, read 1,753,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
But no one is boxed in their own individual neighborhood. You drive/walk around and end up in the adjacent areas so they are together. The kids from renovated/now upscale old school looking bungalow go to school with the kids in the run down apartments, you all go to the same place to get gas, grocery shop when in your area, etc. People can't act like their in the good area and won't EVER EVER run into the bad stuff that's 5 streets over. Bad people move around. You're within arms length of them. Living in cutesy bungalow block won't keep you away from the bad just because you can't see them. You walk/drive, they walk/drive. That's with everyone, everywhere but you're going to run into them more because...you're right there by it.

They ARE together in every aspect except where people retired for the night to go to sleep.
i think this is the point of view txhustla and i both have. whether it's "eastwood proper" or "eastwood civic area" or eastwood whatever..... to me and, i think to txhustla as well, eastwood is eastwood. mainly in part because we did grow up in "eastwood", maybe not eastwood proper, but just blocks away. i had friends that lived in "eastwood proper" that got into just about as much trouble as friends that lived just outside of "eastwood proper"....and we all went to the same school like dejablue points out.

it's great that people are moving into the neighborhood that didn't grow up there, and fixing the houses up. i've never discounted that. but to be so blind to the surrounding blocks is naive to me. because like dejablue mentions, you'll shop at the same grocery store (combat kroger,,,hmmmm, wonder why they call it that)......the same gas station (where several robberies happen all around the city). as someone stated before, inner loop living isn't for everyone, but for those that DO want inner loop living, PLEASE don't expect it to be live suburban living. be aware of neighboring areas/blocks/houses. and for those that are considering moving to eastwood proper, don't just look at the boundaries for it...

now i think after THREE SEPERATE THREADS, we all just need to agree to disagree, and either lock all three threads, or clean up the thread "eastwood pictures" to ONLY pictures and lock the other two. people should post ALL pictures in that thread, whether it's the beautiful pictures from professional photographers, vegan's pictures, or txhustla's "real eastwood" pictures....but that's just what I would do if i was a mod on this forum, i'm not telling anyone how to do their job, I'M JUST SAYIN'.......

HAPPY THURSDAY EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 AM

121 posts, read 240,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
You imagine or do you actually have lived there? Big difference. TxHustla has apparently lived his life there and provided his reasoning.
yes most of it..id say about 26 years of it..up until 2009 and i still have family and friends in the area. I work in the area so im in it every single day.

Quote:
So do the mega Eastwood praise.

I agree that people SHOULD know the reality of an area. The good, bad and ugly.
thats all i was trying to do. Show the whole truth.

Quote:
But no one is boxed in their own individual neighborhood. You drive/walk around and end up in the adjacent areas so they are together. The kids from renovated/now upscale old school looking bungalow go to school with the kids in the run down apartments, you all go to the same place to get gas, grocery shop when in your area, etc. People can't act like their in the good area and won't EVER EVER run into the bad stuff that's 5 streets over. Bad people move around. You're within arms length of them. Living in cutesy bungalow block won't keep you away from the bad just because you can't see them. You walk/drive, they walk/drive. That's with everyone, everywhere but you're going to run into them more because...you're right there by it.

They ARE together in every aspect except where people retired for the night to go to sleep.
Aww thats all ive been trying to say.Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Interesting how someone who also grew up in the area has such a totally different perspective on Eastwood.
than say someone like u who has only lived there for 6 months..LOL Yeah let me see who'd listen to more..

the guy with 26yrs + experience or 6 mos..hmmm..thats a hard one.

SOrry about no pics YET..been busy with my wedding and closing on a new house...its stressful and hectic. But i will get them asap.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:44 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,084,275 times
Speaking of the real Eastwood, my friend LOVED to get stuff at Tacoketo.

And he went to a hair salon for women (no car, and that was the closest hair shop to him)

Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 AM

121 posts, read 240,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Speaking of the real Eastwood, my friend LOVED to get stuff at Tacoketo.

And he went to a hair salon for women (no car, and that was the closest hair shop to him)
a friend of mine owns Taco Keto..their hours are weird..greasy tacos but damn theyre good.

the salon next to taco keto? lol My mom still goes there.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 AM

363 posts, read 558,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
I knew it! LOL no wonder ur so gung ho on saying this area is all jazzy and great! always a financial reason behind lies and manipulation. What real estate agent is going to practically pass away a sale and give their 6% back...LOL

YOU SNIFFED THEM OUT QUICK HUSTLA!!!

After reading this thread, it was only evident these clowns had an agenda lol. Give them enough rope and they hang themselves.

I just drove through Eastwood not long ago myself and it's no where near the gentrification these agenda-setters are claiming it is.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 AM

286 posts, read 740,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
as someone stated before, inner loop living isn't for everyone, but for those that DO want inner loop living, PLEASE don't expect it to be live suburban living. be aware of neighboring areas/blocks/houses.
I don't think those of us who settle in the Inner Loop are expecting it be suburban living; in fact, it's probably THE reason why we pick it (honestly, I'm not well-behaved enough for MPC living). I moved into Rice Military before gentrification and yes, it was a bit scary as a single female living alone, but it was so worth it for the short commute to work (2 miles!). At that time, I never would have anticipated Rice Military turning into what it is now.

Our street in the Woodland Heights is only a couple over from a more run-down area but right next to one of the more desireable streets in the neighborhood. A couple weeks ago, people were held up at gunpoint on our block as they were walking back from Fitzgerald's. It happens and we're not naiive about where we chose to live -- either when we were looking or where we have chosen to settle. I imagine people moving into other still-gentrifying neighborhoods in the Inner Loop are making the same calculations and are saying, "Yes, we know this exists, but we're going to go for it anyway."

Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,840,897 times
The people that are the quickest to dog Eastwood on here fall into 2 categories, suburbanites that live miles away and have no clue even where Eastwood or Harrisburg or anything else in the area is located, let alone how the residents of Eastwood and Harrisburg might or might not interact, but will still comment as if they are experts on the subject. The second group is people who grew up and/or had relatives in the area long before it saw any spark of revitalization. The revitalization is not something they were a part of and that revitalization puts the nicer homes out of their reach, so it isn't something they will exactly embrace. Instead they attack it.

Then there are those that want the inner loop location. That know that good areas next to bad is not something peculiar to Eastwood, but is something many areas like Woodland Heights, Garden Oaks, Bellaire, and many others also have, so they accept it. They are part of the revitalization, part of the improvement in the area and they see things differently from the above mentioned groups.

it is all about perspective.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,084,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
a friend of mine owns Taco Keto..their hours are weird..greasy tacos but damn theyre good.

the salon next to taco keto? lol My mom still goes there.
1. Their tacos are VERY good! I've had them before.
My friend liked to order random tacos (he didn't know their names) just to try them. I think he had a goat one before. He also cajoled the guy running the counter into giving him the spiciest hot sauce. While my friend is very introverted, if you introduce him to food, he's more likely to try something new.

2. Yeah, the salon next to Tacoketo. - Tee hee!

I'm thinking my sister and her boyfriend could move into the area if they decide to get a house... if my sister gets a public health job in Houston. She could also try Idylwood. She was a Spanish minor, so it may help her in the area. Currently she is in her mid-twenties, and her boyfriend is also.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM

594 posts, read 1,251,129 times
If anyone buys a house, sight unseen, based solely on what they read on an internet forum I'd think the least of their problems is the house.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,367,609 times
I have an idea.

Those of you attending the Eastwood historic home tour this weekend, how will YOU see Eastwood as? I plan on attending the event, and as a photographer and blogger, I plan on giving an objective view of what my 5 senses provide me while experiencing the tour...and having not ever been there, I plan to make it as objective as I can, despite my emotional shortcomings!

Let's do this, not only for the sake of Eastwoods hopeful growth and progress as the new historic charm of Houston, but also as an event that could possibly instill some history into those of you who are interested in the story behind the foundation of the first master planned community of Houston, almost 100 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston