Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,730 times

Advertisements

I just had to post a quick note about Eastwood schools.

My husband and I have been extensively researching the Eastwood neighborhood schools and are leaving with a very positive feeling! We were so impressed with the elementary school Lantrip. Wow... the school is beautiful, the administration really cares about the students, the science emphasis is incredible, the emphasis on pursuing college degrees, the hands on projects for the kids.... I could go on and on and on. I can't wait for my youngest to attend this school next semester!

Next, Jackson Middle School. Another big WOW. The principal is so inspiring and approachable with such a love for his school and students. He is so dedicated to the well being and safety of his students. Their anti-bullying policy is the best in the district. The GT program is better than I could have expected. The students actually have the option to acquire high school credits for many of the classes taken at Jackson in the GT program. The magnet coordinator at the school was equally impressive. I can't wait for my middle son to start at Jackson next semester!

Next, Austin Senior High School. Although not as impressive as Jackson or Lantrip, we were very impressed with the AP classes and the focus on college as the natural next step after High school. Also, the school has just gotten a whole new set of administrators who are on a one year contract to improve the school. Their enthusiasm and dedication to the improvement of the school is inspiring! Plus, they have an award winning band program!

Last, Eastwood Academy. Maybe, the most impressive of all the schools. It's hard to put into words the feeling we had while visiting that school. It might be something like being somewhere where you know everyone feels so lucky to be there.... The students were all happy, comfortable and at ease with their peers and the teachers and administrators. I can't wait for my oldest to attend this school next semester!

Yes, we finally made the leap and bought a home in Eastwood. We are so excited about moving into this very cool neighborhood. I have to say that the ultimate deciding factor for us in buying a home in Eastwood would have to be the impressive schools. We are so happy to be able to send our kids to the neighborhood schools and know they are safe and receiving an excellent education!

Take care,
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:52 AM

40 posts, read 83,092 times
Glad to hear you did your due diligence. I've always theorized that if more people actually looked into the schools they would find out they are quite good.

Hope to see you at the home tour.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 AM

543 posts, read 1,387,147 times
Where is Eastwood?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 AM

644 posts, read 1,353,730 times
I'm not positive about the boundaries of Eastwood. But I can tell you it's located just east of downtown Houston and north of hwy 45. It is one of Houston's first master planned communities and was developed by the same man who developed Woodland Heights. It was hailed as a "model suburb" because of it's beauty and convenience to downtown. As I understand it is about 2 miles to downtown from Eastwood.

It is full of beautiful old homes from the early 1910's to later into the 1930's and 1940's. The neighborhood fell into disrepair and a lot of the homes were falling apart. As I'm told, it looks a lot like what the Heights and Montrose looked like before people got excited about the areas and started redoing all the homes. Eastwood has a very active Civic Association and people are moving in and fixing up the homes.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM

121 posts, read 240,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I just had to post a quick note about Eastwood schools.

My husband and I have been extensively researching the Eastwood neighborhood schools and are leaving with a very positive feeling! We were so impressed with the elementary school Lantrip. Wow... the school is beautiful, the administration really cares about the students, the science emphasis is incredible, the emphasis on pursuing college degrees, the hands on projects for the kids.... I could go on and on and on. I can't wait for my youngest to attend this school next semester!

Next, Jackson Middle School. Another big WOW. The principal is so inspiring and approachable with such a love for his school and students. He is so dedicated to the well being and safety of his students. Their anti-bullying policy is the best in the district. The GT program is better than I could have expected. The students actually have the option to acquire high school credits for many of the classes taken at Jackson in the GT program. The magnet coordinator at the school was equally impressive. I can't wait for my middle son to start at Jackson next semester!

Next, Austin Senior High School. Although not as impressive as Jackson or Lantrip, we were very impressed with the AP classes and the focus on college as the natural next step after High school. Also, the school has just gotten a whole new set of administrators who are on a one year contract to improve the school. Their enthusiasm and dedication to the improvement of the school is inspiring! Plus, they have an award winning band program!

Last, Eastwood Academy. Maybe, the most impressive of all the schools. It's hard to put into words the feeling we had while visiting that school. It might be something like being somewhere where you know everyone feels so lucky to be there.... The students were all happy, comfortable and at ease with their peers and the teachers and administrators. I can't wait for my oldest to attend this school next semester!

Yes, we finally made the leap and bought a home in Eastwood. We are so excited about moving into this very cool neighborhood. I have to say that the ultimate deciding factor for us in buying a home in Eastwood would have to be the impressive schools. We are so happy to be able to send our kids to the neighborhood schools and know they are safe and receiving an excellent education!

Take care,
Kris
Good luck..i got tired of the police chases..and drug raids once or twice a month...got tired of the kids walking around breaking into houses and cars while all doped up on pills and weed. I got tired of the countless drug houses selling out the front door. Good luck with Jackson and Austin...talk is cheap...wait to you see what all really goes on there..gangs and drugs and idiot ass kids with even more idiotic parents who grew up there also but never actually GREW UP.

Good luck and just keep a watchful eye on your property and kids in school.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
Good luck..i got tired of the police chases..and drug raids once or twice a month...got tired of the kids walking around breaking into houses and cars while all doped up on pills and weed. I got tired of the countless drug houses selling out the front door. Good luck with Jackson and Austin...talk is cheap...wait to you see what all really goes on there..gangs and drugs and idiot ass kids with even more idiotic parents who grew up there also but never actually GREW UP.

The burglary rates, etc. are available on line and they are not as you describe. Week from tomorrow is the home tour there, so people can see for themselves. I hope a lot of you get the chance to go.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I am glad the neighborhood is changing. I lived on campus at UH, so I am a bit familiar with that neighborhood. You probably should research Austin high school some more, however. I know for a fact that at least a few years ago it had a very poor reputation. Although it seems they are addressing that now.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post

Wow -- I don't know when you lived in the Eastwood area, but it sure isn't like that now and hasn't been for quite some time!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Wow, that OP was like a direct copy & paste off those school's websites. Nice advertisement.

Eastwood is a definitely a nice older neighborhood, but step out of the bubble and things appear to degrade fast. That's probably what hustla is talking about. As far as reported crime goes... the ''snitches get stitches'' mentality runs deep in all crummy areas.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:52 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I am glad the neighborhood is changing. I lived on campus at UH, so I am a bit familiar with that neighborhood. You probably should research Austin high school some more, however. I know for a fact that at least a few years ago it had a very poor reputation. Although it seems they are addressing that now.

This.

The administration can pretty up a school all that want but that doesn't change the kids who go there. And there's so much on what teachers can and can't do these days to where the kids basically run the school with the administration trying to cover it up and broadcast any tiny blip that's a good thing to cover up the real heavy stuff that's much more prominent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston