Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:38 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times

Advertisements

How many years does one have to be in a public high school before being eligible for top 10%?

Some people may do a trick where they go to a tougher high school for the first years and then go to a less challenging one, so it is easier to be in the top 10%.

Because it's very difficult to be in the top 10% at magnet schools, often people from wealthier families go to liberal arts colleges, and people from less wealthy families go to University of Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:56 AM

121 posts, read 240,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Quite the contrary Southwest4life.

I'm certainly not sending my kids to a less competitive school. I disagree quite strongly with Illum and his numbers. I have the numbers from the HISD website and followed up with the school. He has an agenda, what it is I have no idea. I can't figure out why I've gotten to him so much just because I happen to have a completely different view point than him.

The purpose of this thread I started was not to try to get people to suddenly move into Eastwood. Believe me, I don't want the kind of people there who post such negative and nasty remarks living in my neighborhood. The purpose of this thread was to simply point out my experiences after spending many, many hours at the schools. I went into the schools expecting them to be bad because of all the bad PR I had heard about them. I left with a totally different perspective and I wanted to share that with anyone else with kids who may be wondering about Eastwood schools. I am very proud to be moving into Eastwood.

Now, back to the schools. It has become very apparent to me that what I am dealing with here is not only ignorance on the part of certain posters, but racism and elitism. It is what it is and I don't have to go back and quote it or point it out. I'm not going to defend Eastwood Academy or any other school in Eastwood anymore. There hasn't been a single poster who has kids in the Eastwood schools right now. I did my due diligence with the schools. I likely spent more time researching and visiting the Eastwood schools than most parents will ever do for any other school. I will not debate anymore whether it is prudent to look at demographics as a way to measure a school. It's disgusting that the people who bash the schools only point to the demographics as a reason for the school being undesirable. Illum's numbers are wrong and I will not debate that. It's silly to waste my time on it when the numbers are right there in black and white. Besides, Eastwood Academy is ranked number 37 out of ALL the high schools in the nation. Apparently the people who made this list decided demographics didn't matter.

I know I'm sending my kids to very competitive, excellent schools and that is the bottom line. The sarcastic remarks about me sending my kids to bad schools so they can graduate number one in the school is so far out of line.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illủmiñatex View Post
Darn, I guess greatschools.org, HAR.com and all these other websites are lying to me about all the Eastwood schools being nearly 100% economically disadvantaged, as well as the poor SAT scores in all the Eastwood schools. That includes Eastwood Academy's 800-something average. Thanks for setting me straight! I guess I'll have to re-evaluate this future-kids-schools thing if I want them to have a guaranteed success track.
Hahaha shes blind and naive i swear..but its ok..she'll learn.

Quote:
Yep, that SAT score is out of 2400, putting it in the 30th percentile. Sounds great! No competition = guaranteed gold star! Why it's rated #37 and not #1 is beyond me.
Check and mate.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
HAR.com still does it out of 1600.

From HAR:
So DeBakey is 1207
Carnegie is 1192
Memorial HS is 1160
Bellaire HS is 1156
Lamar HS is 1036
Westside HS is 1001
Waltrip HS is 960
Eastwood Academy is 896
Reagan HS is 836
Austin HS is 821
Scarborough is 806
--------
Jones HS is 752

Quote:
Yep, that SAT score is out of 2400, putting it in the 30th percentile. Sounds great! No competition = guaranteed gold star! Why it's rated #37 and not #1 is beyond me.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 AM

121 posts, read 240,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
HAR.com still does it out of 1600.

From HAR:
So DeBakey is 1207
Carnegie is 1192
Memorial HS is 1160
Bellaire HS is 1156
Lamar HS is 1036
Westside HS is 1001
Waltrip HS is 960
Eastwood Academy is 896
Reagan HS is 836
Austin HS is 821
Scarborough is 806
--------
Jones HS is 752
so a 800 is good on the SAT's? thats a real excellent school lol

Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,708,359 times
I'm completely confused with the link someone posted from a Washington Post article saying Eastwood Academy's SAT scores are based on a 2400 scale & they're ranked #37 nationally.

Most data online shows EA as a school where kids are doing terrible on the SAT. I don't get it. What am I missing?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM

286 posts, read 739,575 times
I checked the HISD website on Eastwood and it looks like their average SAT score is 1315 for this year (I'm assuming they still calculate the same -- the sum of all three components for the final score).

What's more interesting to me though is the increased enrollment in Honors classes and the completion rate (100%) and drop-out rate (0%). It's also rated as Exemplary. That's a better completion rate/drop out rate than Lamar, which I think has a pretty good repuation. That tells me that something's being done right at Eastwood (Lamar's SATs are higher, if that's the measure everyone's looking at).

You can look at the data here: http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/EastwoodAcademy.pdf and http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lamar_HS.pdf

Definitely looks better than Reagan, which is the high school we're zoned to. Maybe we'll move to Eastwood when that time comes ;-)

Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,042 times
You, Heightsian, are a neighbor I would LOVE to have!

Yeah, it's too bad that this thread turned into what it did. I love that you see what I'm talking about when it comes to EA having really great numbers! It is not all about test scores, although all their test scores (this includes the stanford test, TAKS test and SAT) are awesome. I think I'll trust the people at the Washington Post and their assessment of the schools over the ignorant postings of certain people. With the accountability in place in HISD, I only see things getting better for EA.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,042 times
Lizzy, you aren't missing anything. Eastwood schools are excellent. If you really look at all the postings, you will see I am the only one who has really spent the time researching the schools and visiting the schools.

Frankly, since Tstone, Illum, and TxHustla will never live in Eastwood (thank god for that!) I have no idea why they are so interested in our schools. Seems weird to me....

Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,470 times
One piece of information missing from this discussion of percentiles and ratios, and so on, is what the actual headcount is at Eastwood Academy. Nobody responded when I asked earlier how many students were in this years senior class of 100% college bound students. But, just like the SAT scores that everybody is googling, the enrollment numbers vary from source to source. Here is one example that indicates that the entire senior class is less than 50 kids..... If this school is something to strive for, why are there so many more freshman than seniors? Why wouldn't the classes all be of similar size? Is there a thinning of the herd that takes place in order to keep these statistics as polished up looking as possible? Does anybody know?

Eastwood Academy Enrollment:
Total Enrollment - 257
Rank Nationally - 12310 out of 19379
Rank in Texas - 851 out of 1487

Eastwood Academy Students by Grade:
9th - 75
10th - 71
11th - 62
12th - 49

Eastwood Academy Students by Gender:
Male - 108 (42%)
Female - 149 (58%)

Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
I'm not interested in the schools Vegan, you just crack me up with your constant spam & PR-like advertising. And backing that up by saying that 800-something SAT scores (out of 1600) are "awesome" is just amusing. LOL.

Lizzy, you're not missing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston