Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,278,949 times

Advertisements

I kinda agree with TxHustla because when I read the first thread title (not this one, the other one on Eastwood) I thought "wow this may be a cool new place to live someday!" And then I googled the neighborhood location because I didn't recognize the name at first. Turns out I am familiar with that area and it would take a heck of a lot of gentrification to draw me in from my boring, uneventful suburb. And yes I've been to combat Kroger when I was a student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 03:02 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,082,714 times
Actually, no. He's just an indoor person (too much time on the internet)
He heard about how that area was a "ghetto" but he told me he felt kinda dumb since, in his view, it wasn't so bad.
He did walk to the grocery store whenever he needed something (he didn't know how to drive a car) - It was only a few blocks away.

I did patronize the bakery and the grocery store - those were pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
and why is that? cuz of the area..

who wants to spend that kind of money for a lifetime investment to not be able to enjoy the community and surrounding areas..

Old 10-11-2011, 03:06 PM

121 posts, read 240,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I kinda agree with TxHustla because when I read the first thread title (not this one, the other one on Eastwood) I thought "wow this may be a cool new place to live someday!" And then I googled the neighborhood location. I am familiar with that area and it would take a heck of a lot of gentrification to draw me in from my boring, uneventful suburb. I shopped at combat Kroger when I was a student.
Exactly my point! See how 1 person thought wow it looks great based on what Kris said and posted..but then u dig a little deeper and u find out its not like that at all. Now imagine how many other people could find her info misleading. Thank you D.W! Thats all i was trying to say or point out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Actually, no. He's just an indoor person (too much time on the internet)
He heard about how that area was a "ghetto" but he told me he felt kinda dumb since, in his view, it wasn't so bad.
He did walk to the grocery store whenever he needed something (he didn't know how to drive a car) - It was only a few blocks away.

I did patronize the bakery and the grocery store - those were pretty nice.
the kroger bakery? or which one? Mandolas is GREAT for subs too...or Mi Reyna past lantrip?

Old 10-11-2011, 03:08 PM

40 posts, read 83,169 times
Quote:
some of these people on here labeling eastwood/2nd ward like some kind of Montrose area when we clearly know its not..
Actually Eastwood residents are quick to admit one of the biggest downsides to the neighborhood is lack of good retail, which Montrose does have due to a much longer history of investment there. On the other hand Montrose has some of the worst crime rates in the inner city, worse than Eastwood.

I don't think anybody here is painting the neighborhood in the light you think we are. I am very honest with everyone I talk to about Eastwood, it's an inner city neighborhood that is improving with a great stock of older homes and good schools. Do we have crime here? Yes, mainly thefts. But that comes with any inner-city neighborhood. People that don't want to live in the inner city don't. It is as simple as that, I have yet to meet anyone who has been "duped" into living in Eastwood since it's fairly obvious we aren't River Oaks or The Woodlands.

What really makes Eastwood unique is it has such a strong community trying to turn things around. Due to the nature of our neighborhood most people who have moved here in the last ten years are optimists and are naturally going to try to give a positive view of our neighborhood, but we don't go out of our way to attract residents who obviously would never want to live here.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:08 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,082,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
the kroger bakery? or which one? Mandolas is GREAT for subs too...or Mi Reyna past lantrip?
Not the Kroger bakery - it's Mi Reyna. I had taken an afternoon walk with my friend's mother between his house and Mi Reyna. When my mom visits Eastwood she likes to get stuff from Mi Reyna.

My friend tried going to Mandola's but he said that it seemed to be never open when he went. He believes that the owners didn't want him to go there or something

Old 10-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Not the Kroger bakery - it's Mi Reyna. I had taken an afternoon walk with my friend's mother between his house and Mi Reyna. When my mom visits Eastwood she likes to get stuff from Mi Reyna.

My friend tried going to Mandola's but he said that it seemed to be never open when he went. He believes that the owners didn't want him to go there or something

i love Mi Reyna...their flour tortillas are great! lol And the area right in front of mi reyna is very run down..1 dealer that i know of for sure...and thats right in the "eastwood' heart. but im lying about things right LOL

And Mandola's is only open from morning to mid afternoon. they close after lunchtime. They are are always packed during their hours though. A little pricey but the food is very good.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM

40 posts, read 83,169 times
Actually Mandola's is open until 9pm in the new Eastwood, I live here, I know.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 PM

847 posts, read 1,753,459 times
mi reyna? or LA REYNERA?!! i know the owner of LA REYNERA

Old 10-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelus2 View Post
Actually Mandola's is open until 9pm in the new Eastwood, I live here, I know.
LOL i guess 9pm..hey not my favorite spot to go..glad u know the hours Mr.Eastwood.

I dont have to live there anymore and still own more and know more there than u do or ever will since its become that kind of thing for you. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
mi reyna? or LA REYNERA?!! i know the owner of LA REYNERA
i always thought it was Mi Reyna..down by lantrip before u hit cullen? Either way..its off the chain. Bluelion...david? LOL

Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,839,822 times
As for the map, there are two boundaries listed, one for Eastwood proper and one for the whole area that the civic club works with. There is a mistake though, Eastwood does not extend over to Harrisburg, it stops at the tracks. Across the tracks is, well, across the tracks.

Milby Street is not Eastwood either. As for bad areas being close by, absolutely true. As I have said many times before, welcome to the block by block adventure of Houston's urban landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston