Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 PM

81 posts, read 128,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Lol, houston doesnt have flourishing artistic subcultures? Its just that people like you dont recognize them because you dont like them. ill bet Houstons music scene is more active than Austins, but it happens to be mainly in distinctly local forms of rap, not some pretty college white kids or sttylish Europeans with more fashion sense than talent.
ok, ok, you might have a point there.

but i was thinking of all the classic rock cover bands that have pushed anything else out of every venue in this town. the power to do so comes from pressures exerted by forces unseen, but i'm not getting into that here.

its either that or this fake fake fake ass country music that sounds like it was synthesized by some corporate fascist in a suit ... i mean down to the lyrics and everything ... i've heard k-pop thats better than this ****. seriously. houston is not country. its not a country music town. i dont get it. i dont get where this obsession to identify with it comes from; well, actually i do, but again, i'm not getting into that here.

but its not just the music, its art, architechture, inspiration ... all of it. none of it is here. at least none of it that has a modicum of sincerity about it. nothing that people can legitimately identify with. houston is just a corporatocracy. like i said before, nobody gives a **** about eating a subway sandwich on hwy 6. trust me, its nothing to write home about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,565,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Oh they do come, I didn't say they didn't come.

I said the white kids may prefer to party in Austin so maybe Stan may have heard his friends talking about partying in Austin.

I don't know if Stan knows all 6,300,000 people in Dallas to know if partying in Houston is a common occurrence, (maybe his job puts him in a position to know everyone in DFW) but I was just speaking from what I see with my own eyes, and what I see with my own eyes (or rather what I hear with my own ears when I am nosey and go around talking with groups asking where they are from) is a lot of people from DFW having fun here.

the reverse may be true. Are there regular events in DFW where Houstonians go in droves???
Well, like I said...lived here 22 years, I meet ~5000 new people a year bc of my job...we don't always talk about vacation, but I think it's odd I have never once heard anyone mention regularly vacationing down in Houston besides to visit relatives.

We've all gone to different cities for like a concert or something (I went from Austin to Houston once to see a special concert), but as a regular DFW vacation destination? Seriously? Get over yourselves.

To be fair, I don't know that many african american peeps relative to the other races.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,049,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, like I said...lived here 22 years, I meet ~5000 new people a year bc of my job...we don't always talk about vacation, but I think it's odd I have never once heard anyone mention regularly vacationing down in Houston besides to visit relatives.

We've all gone to different cities for like a concert or something (I went from Austin to Houston once to see a special concert), but as a regular DFW vacation destination? Seriously? Get over yourselves.

To be fair, I don't know that many african american peeps relative to the other races.
excuse you?? a regular vacation destination?? We are not talking about Disney World here. That type of arrogance that always gets me mad at you uptight Dallas people.

Who said one darn word about vacation destination?? How is coming here to have fun and party equal to vacation destination.

and I doubt any of the 5000 people you meet tell you where the hell they go to party.

You can like it or not but tons of people from DFW come here regularly to have fun.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:15 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,666,434 times
I have never met a single person from any of the other larger Texas cities who comes to Houston on even a somewhat regular basis to unwind or party. For business, yes.

Everyone knows Houstonians do that with Austin. Hate it or love it, it is the truth.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:18 PM

594 posts, read 1,253,680 times
Back to the original point of the thread:

As far as not being included on some cable TV national shows- great! That means the places I've found and love won't become crazy busy (long wait) all of a sudden . That is what a lot of those tv shows do to the places they feature.

In Austin, a few of the more popular places that have been on any given show have insane wait times. 2 hours? Um, no thank you.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I have never met a single person from any of the other larger Texas cities who comes to Houston on even a somewhat regular basis to unwind or party. For business, yes.

Everyone knows Houstonians do that with Austin. Hate it or love it, it is the truth.
if you leave your house you will see them.

Austin??? None of my friends go to Austin to party. Not a known fun place for black people

Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 PM

332 posts, read 534,062 times
I have also wondered that. I mean yes, reality TV sucks and all but it generally seems to actually help with Tourism, etc. I am also not so sure who this "person/entity" is or better say, should be responsible for doing some kind of marketing work for Houston around the globe but it seems to be lacking in the General Tourism type.

I mean how many times does Real World need to re-visit cities until they hit Houston. Pathetic

I guess it does help us in the long run. I hate to see Houston being a city that becomes hip 1 day and Dud the next.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,877,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Austin??? None of my friends go to Austin to party. Not a known fun place for black people.
It's not just that, but we're White and we only go back there now to visit friends/family. The thing with the party scene there is it's very young/college-centric. After a certain age, there's more in Houston for fun. Austin traffic has become atrocious in recent years as well. If we head out that way for recreation, it's to go to Fredericksburg/Hill Country.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,587,168 times
Sour graping.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
It's not just that, but we're White and we only go back there now to visit friends/family. The thing with the party scene there is it's very young/college-centric. After a certain age, there's more in Houston for fun. Austin traffic has become atrocious in recent years as well. If we head out that way for recreation, it's to go to Fredericksburg/Hill Country.
yeah, I find it hard to imagine a lot of 25-30 somethings going to Austin for fun.

Houston has way more to offer.

People sit in Dallas and just assume that everyone goes to Austin for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston