Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,997,236 times

Advertisements

Austin's competition is San Antonio and El Paso. Houston's Competition is DFW. Austin's limited offerings put it 50 years behind Houston and DFW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 01:43 PM

208 posts, read 270,372 times
In any foodie list where the #1 is NYC, everything else is not a 'high rank'. The next place is going to be the 'far 2nd'.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:05 PM

433 posts, read 702,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I don't know why you're trying so hard to convince us with your limited few examples. Most cities are going to have at least a few great chefs, are they not? But let's not make a fool of ourselves... Houston makes the top 10 restaurant cities on Forbes Traveler, Esquire, Wine Spectator and others for a reason. No other Texas cities rank as high on these lists; they don't have the breadth and international background combined with Gulf location that Houston does. Austin has a few good places, but one of the first things I noticed upon moving from Austin to Houston was how much better the restaurant scene was in general, and how many more great choices there are here. There is no comparison... once again, these two cities are two totally different tiers.
Top 10 sure, food mecca Houston is not.

My point is the Austin restaurant scene is not much different than the Houston scene. Houston scene is larger, but I can name a Indian and Chinese place that is much better than any I've had here. Japanese no comparison. Viet, Houston hands down. Cajun, Houston hands down. I don't care much for Tex-Mex. BBQ sucks in Texas. Gulf seafood--what Reef? But, but, but he's a celebrity chef!!

LSU vs. Alabama, sure. Virginia Tech vs. Houston, who cares.
Lakers vs. Heat vs. Bulls, sure. Hornets vs. Grizzles, who cares.
Packers vs. Niners, ok. Bears vs. Bucs, who cares.

People arguing over 7th, 10th, 12th, etc. is pointless, but I suppose it's worth it's metal here. Trophies for everyone!!!

Last edited by pach84; 11-11-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 03:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,856,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
My point is the Austin restaurant scene is not much different than the Houston scene. Houston scene is larger, but I can name a Indian and Chinese place that is much better than any I've had here. Japanese no comparison. Viet, Houston hands down. Cajun, Houston hands down. I don't care much for Tex-Mex. BBQ sucks in Texas. Gulf seafood--what Reef? But, but, but he's a celebrity chef!!
That's your opinion and I simply don't agree, at all. I don't know if you think that if you tell us enough times and say Uchi one more time maybe we'll agree with you, or what.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,255,650 times
Quote:
You mean this New York Times article? Weekend in Houston - NYTimes.com

So you think Houston is a food mecca because the list includes #3, "Slice of Austin".

Got it.
Actually no; that's not what I'm talking about.

Austin's scene is that much different than Houston's?? Houston with over 6 million people in the MSA and one of the most diverse metropolitan areas in the country; yet Austin thinks it can compete??? LOL

You need to worry about passing San Antonio first before setting your eyes on Houston.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,233,447 times
Comparing Austin to Houston, is like comparing a food truck with a full service restaurant.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,973,778 times
Quote:
Maybe you need to clean your ears. Cole of Uchi (Austin) just won the James Beard award over celebrity chef Caswell of Reef (Houston) and some other from SA. If some people weren't so lazy, actually got out and rubbed elbows with others, the new, hot chef/restaurant info travels fast since everyone believes they're "foodies". But, it seems like many here are around the bargain bin crowd, so...

Texas chef wins James Beard award | Houston Restaurants | 29-95.com

Not to worry though. He is opening a Uchi here in Houston, so you'll be able to "brag" and claim it as your own soon!
So because one Austin restaurant won an award over a Houston restaurant, that somehow means that Austin is a better food city. Great logic. Austin has nothing on Houston. Everyone knows that.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 AM

433 posts, read 702,181 times
Let me make this easy for you to comprehend. Texas food scene is just pretty good. No mecca. All of Texas. Most are not noteworthy. 1 James Beard and no Michelin rated.

So why worry about who gets a little "shine" on the show? Or which city is better? Nobody cares.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,997,236 times
Texas has good food all around, but Houston, DFW, San Antonio, The Valley, El Paso, East Texas all have better food than Austin.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 AM

9 posts, read 23,380 times
I'm from San Antonio. I've lived in Austin for 3 years and have spent a lot of time in Houston. Can't speak for DFW cause I haven't spent enough time there, but I'm pretty sure it beats out Austin as well.

Houston hands down for the food!!

San Antonio even kicks Austin's butt. Now Austin does have some good food, but I don't know why one would think they can compare Austin to Houston. They aren't even in the same league!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston