Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,966,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Doesn't surprise me.
That's what happens when you have a media monopoly.... seems like many channels but in reality they are owned by a hand full of people.
Media Monopoly - Teleprison.com (http://teleprison.com/mediamonopoly.html - broken link)

They can do that, because if cities don't do what they say, they can literally erase cities off the map.
That's why I'm a regionalist - want real local radio and TV that doesn't show anything farther than 500 miles from Houston.
Do you not have the internet? Erasing cities off the map? Hilarious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:58 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,003,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I remember seeing the commercials for these shows and fretting for a moment that they might be set in Houston. Frantic, I did some research and found that they are to be set in Dallas. Needless to say, I let out a huge sigh of relief, cracked a little smile, and felt secure in my knowledge that once again we have escaped the dismal stereotyping that other Texas cities have received from Hollywood.
I don't think we escape so easily.

Dallas people go on national TV, make a fool of themselves and people apply it to the whole state.

That darn Dallas TV show still makes people think that all Texans are like that.

People are not gonna be thinking Dallas when they watch those shows, they are gonna be thinking TEXAS.

Why do you think the shows go to Dallas in the 1st place??? because it is more stereotypical. The TV producers feed off of stereotypes.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I remember seeing the commercials for these shows and fretting for a moment that they might be set in Houston. Frantic, I did some research and found that they are to be set in Dallas. Needless to say, I let out a huge sigh of relief, cracked a little smile, and felt secure in my knowledge that once again we have escaped the dismal stereotyping that other Texas cities have received from Hollywood.
Exactly, and you have people out there who are crazy enough to believe this stuff. Do they not realize how diverse Texas is??? What's with all the country white cowboys?? Give us break. 2nd largest Latino population, 2/3 largest AA population, 3rd largest Asian population, and more. Yet we get this BS?? Thanks for continuing not only to stereotype Texas, but misinform the world.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 PM

433 posts, read 702,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
your point would be more valid if they didn't go to other areas in Texas. tell me about the world class dining in San Antonio and all the Michelin Chefs in all those other cities in Texas.

Major fail. Houston is the major food City in Texas and it is stupid to have a top food anything and not include it.
Even more reason not to get bent out of shape over this. Like a bunch of chubs arguing over who is less big-boned or than the other at a modeling tryout. It is pointless, but keep fighting the good fight. Watching people fight over scraps is always entertaining.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:45 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,065,925 times
I agree on avoiding the Dallas shows that make the people look like idiots, but this is a foodie show, right? A little different premise. For them to omit Houston seems rather outrageous.
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-fo...-cities-122210

Is it just me, or is someone in Houston not doing their job as they should?
No retired shuttle, Manhattan with no connection to the space program gets one instead.
Continental moves to Chicago.
Constantly ignored by the media unless it's something bad. Even missing from national weather maps (Fox News comes to mind, they have San Antonio and Austin instead!)
Seems like someone at the Houston convention and tourism bureau, or whatever outfit is supposed to be in charge of this stuff, needs to be fired. You guys need more than just good job market and city amenities.... you gotta have a little bit of that "proud to live here" vibe and related quality of life things. Otherwise you start losing good people (maybe even companies) to other cities because of lack of loyalty and burn-out.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I agree on avoiding the Dallas shows that make the people look like idiots, but this is a foodie show, right? A little different premise. For them to omit Houston seems rather outrageous.
Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire

No retired shuttle, Manhattan with no connection to the space program gets one instead.
Constantly ignored by the media unless it's something bad. Even missing from national weather maps (Fox News comes to mind, they have San Antonio and Austin instead!)
Seems like someone at the Houston convention and tourism bureau, or whatever outfit is supposed to be in charge of this stuff, needs to be fired. You guys need more than just good job market and city amenities.... you gotta have a little bit of that "proud to live here" vibe and related quality of life things. Otherwise you start losing good people (maybe even companies) to other cities because of lack of loyalty and burn-out.
True. The City of Houston just isn't as aggressive as other cities when it comes to promoting and selling the city.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:09 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,976,983 times
Quote:

At least Houston hosts huge sporting events . You can make a list of the city attracting things, just like you can of stuff leaving. And I guarantee you, more is coming in than going out.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:32 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,661,311 times
Austin...San Antonio...

No one ever says "Houston is so awesome! So much fun! Cant wait to go back!"

..unless its on this forum.

Btw, I am not bashing Houston. Just something Ive noticed.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,976,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Austin...San Antonio...

No one ever says "Houston is so awesome! So much fun! Cant wait to go back!"

..unless its on this forum.

Btw, I am not bashing Houston. Just something Ive noticed.
Are you kidding me? I've heard this many times. Why do you think Houston hosts so many sporting events? Houston is a good place to party. People don't realize that until they visit.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,003,714 times
Quote:

I have been saying that for ages. Because of the poor PR people think That DFW and Houston are on the same level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston