Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Austin...San Antonio...

No one ever says "Houston is so awesome! So much fun! Cant wait to go back!"

..unless its on this forum.

Btw, I am not bashing Houston. Just something Ive noticed.
I actually hear that all the time. why do you think so many people from Dallas come here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Austin...San Antonio...

..unless its on this forum.

Btw, I am not bashing Houston. Just something Ive noticed.
You should looked up the related Houston posted statuses on facebook; you'll see it a lot.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM

81 posts, read 128,307 times
i'm not buying all this "its gotta be a lack of advertising" nonsense. this town sees more commerce than any town in the country. we have more large scale business sector diversity than most any town in the country. this hasnt been the 4th largest city since the 70s, and we are waaaaaay past 4 million people. we are more like the 3rd or 2nd largest city in all honesty. the airports bring in more international travelers than damn near anywhere else in the state for sure.

so why the houston "oversight" in the attention/celebration dept.? have you guys ever thought for one second, that the whole world isnt be wrong about us? maybe its time for some introspection instead of just more marketing. we are marketed more by practicality than any other city on earth. thats a fact. in fact the only other city i can think of that has so many people needing to go there for one reason or another, at least once in their lives, is london. we need to stop thinking that the whole world is wrong and that they'd better "get right with us" or whatever. we need to stop thinking like idiot capitalists who think every issue is a marketing one. maybe our product is just broken. or maybe it just sucks. maybe, just maybe, its our own damn fault.

you can fool some people some time, but you cant fool all the people all the time.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
i'm not buying all this "its gotta be a lack of advertising" nonsense. this town sees more commerce than any town in the country. we have more large scale business sector diversity than most any town in the country. this hasnt been the 4th largest city since the 70s, and we are waaaaaay past 4 million people. we are more like the 3rd or 2nd largest city in all honesty. the airports bring in more international travelers than damn near anywhere else in the state for sure.

so why the houston "oversight" in the attention/celebration dept.? have you guys ever thought for one second, that the whole world isnt be wrong about us? maybe its time for some introspection instead of just more marketing. we are marketed more by practicality than any other city on earth. thats a fact. in fact the only other city i can think of that has so many people needing to go there for one reason or another, at least once in their lives, is london. we need to stop thinking that the whole world is wrong and that they'd better "get right with us" or whatever. we need to stop thinking like idiot capitalists who think every issue is a marketing one. maybe our product is just broken. or maybe it just sucks. maybe, just maybe, its our own damn fault.

you can fool some people some time, but you cant fool all the people all the time.
DUH, that is just it. That is all that Houston markets itself as, a good business town.

Nothing wrong with our product, we just don't try to sell it

Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Austin...San Antonio...
No one ever says:
"I can't wait to go to college in San Antonio to get a great education and then get a high paying job in a high tech field in San Antonio".

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 PM

81 posts, read 128,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
DUH, that is just it. That is all that Houston markets itself as, a good business town.

Nothing wrong with our product, we just don't try to sell it

ok, well what exactly makes our product something that is an identity? we dont have a mountain (denver/boulder), we dont have year round great weather (SoCal), we dont have protected communities/areas regardless of their financial orientation (boston), we dont allow subcultures of creativity to flourish (new york in the 40's, seattle in the 90s), we dont have vibrant community oriented feel (NoCal), we dont have good beaches (hawaii), we dont have northern lights (alaska). we dont have clean air or water (missouri). you get the idea. endless row upon row of franchise chains and fast food do not inspire us, or give us anything to connect with. willowbrook mall is not the flatiron mountains, ya dig?

and contrary to some outdated beliefs, we are not rednecks either. i mean, i'm not talking about republican *******s, we're choc-a-bloc with those, but there is nothing "country" about houston. most people drive a pickup truck, but so what? slim-jims, rat-tails, and gunracks wont be found for miles and miles and miles. i mean, its not even in magnolia anymore. even going west, you have to get into wharton before its anything like that.

i mean, what we have is a half-assed version of some of that stuff in a corporate chase to capture the dollars that might come from a culture that is built around those features. think - its like that that whole concept behind the idea of a "texas wine country" ... yeah ... who are they trying to kid?!? our beaches are actually sand covered landfills. walking barefoot down some stretches of galveston might give you a nasty, nasty surprise in the form of large chunks of broken glass mixed handily into the sand. the only area of town with any soul, montrose, is being torn asunder for the pleasure of the monied elite. the heights has already fallen to the wiles of the monied elite. most of our restaurant culture is a farce, and it pales in comparison to many other major cities. i can go on and on but we are a whored-out town to the lowest common denominator in many many many ways. this is due to a couple of big reasons that i wont get into here.

we are mostly boring-ass bull**** nothing suburbs, we are spread out like peanut butter on a slice of bread so you'll most likely have to go 20 miles to get where you want to be, and that too burns your whole day because our traffic is beyond abominable. we have a medical center if you get sick *yay*. losing my life savings on open heart surgery is not my idea of a municipal identity. oh, and we have a port in case you want to ... well, i dont know what the hell family and friends want to do hanging out at a port and if they were, i'd be afraid to ask.

even from a historical perspective, we were a railway nexus. a giant, giant railway hub. so we were boring, dirty, smelly, fat and nasty back then too. our heat is abominable. the bayou is vile. we are riddled with mosquitoes and crime on a level that isnt even seen in some middle eastern towns.

maybe we just gotta face the facts. we are the pittsburg of the south.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
ok, well what exactly makes our product something that is an identity? we dont have a mountain (denver/boulder), we dont have year round great weather (SoCal), we dont have protected communities/areas regardless of their financial orientation (boston), we dont allow subcultures of creativity to flourish (new york in the 40's, seattle in the 90s), we dont have vibrant community oriented feel (NoCal), we dont have good beaches (hawaii), we dont have northern lights (alaska). we dont have clean air or water (missouri). you get the idea. endless row upon row of franchise chains and fast food do not inspire us, or give us anything to connect with. willowbrook mall is not the flatiron mountains, ya dig?

and contrary to some outdated beliefs, we are not rednecks either. i mean, i'm not talking about republican *******s, we're choc-a-bloc with those, but there is nothing "country" about houston. most people drive a pickup truck, but so what? slim-jims, rat-tails, and gunracks wont be found for miles and miles and miles. i mean, its not even in magnolia anymore. even going west, you have to get into wharton before its anything like that.

i mean, what we have is a half-assed version of some of that stuff in a corporate chase to capture the dollars that might come from a culture that is built around those features. think - its like that that whole concept behind the idea of a "texas wine country" ... yeah ... who are they trying to kid?!? our beaches are actually sand covered landfills. walking barefoot down some stretches of galveston might give you a nasty, nasty surprise in the form of large chunks of broken glass mixed handily into the sand. the only area of town with any soul, montrose, is being torn asunder for the pleasure of the monied elite. the heights has already fallen to the wiles of the monied elite. most of our restaurant culture is a farce, and it pales in comparison to many other major cities. i can go on and on but we are a whored-out town to the lowest common denominator in many many many ways. this is due to a couple of big reasons that i wont get into here.

we are mostly boring-ass bull**** nothing suburbs, we are spread out like peanut butter on a slice of bread so you'll most likely have to go 20 miles to get where you want to be, and that too burns your whole day because our traffic is beyond abominable. we have a medical center if you get sick *yay*. losing my life savings on open heart surgery is not my idea of a municipal identity. oh, and we have a port in case you want to ... well, i dont know what the hell family and friends want to do hanging out at a port and if they were, i'd be afraid to ask.

even from a historical perspective, we were a railway nexus. a giant, giant railway hub. so we were boring, dirty, smelly, fat and nasty back then too. our heat is abominable. the bayou is vile. we are riddled with mosquitoes and crime on a level that isnt even seen in some middle eastern towns.

maybe we just gotta face the facts. we are the pittsburg of the south.
you don't need no darn mountain or great weather. If that was everything SF would be THE city in the US. new York has no mountains or great weather and it is far more than SF.

places like London, Paris etc have no mountains or great weather.

why does Houston people fall for that bull **** that you need mountains or fine weather for anything.

List the major cities in the world and tell me what fine weather they have.

You guys need to be de-programed from that nonsense.

No wonder we do a crappy job of promoting ourselves. With residents having Eeyore attitudes like that no wonder their is no effort. Just sit around feeling sorry for yourselves. bla bla bla, I am just an old gray donkey.

geez appreciate all the things Houston have to offer. It has more than Austin and Dallas and those two don't seem to have problems marketing themselves. Then again they are proud of their cities and don't sit around saying how old and gray they are

Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
Bravo can shove it for all I care. Who are they anyway? I'm glad Houston didn't pay out. Houston has always been a city that's secure with itself. If Houston has to pay a TV network to get recognition for something most Houstonians already know (we know we're one of the top restaurant cities, if not the top restaurant city in the country), then that's ridiculous and Houston did the right thing by refusing. Houston wouldn't look right with mountains. I, a Houston resident through and through am content with the fact we market ourselves as a business town Because that's one of the reasons why Houston continues to grow and rank high for young professionals, there's a plethora of big business jobs waiting for them after graduation. I don't want Houston to grow into something it's not or meant to be. Houston residents need to do a better job of representing their city, celebrating the good it has to offer.

Quote:
There is world food in Houston, but no world-class dining. It's good because it's affordable. Good for students and middle class. That's it.
No Michelin star restaurants and the past Michelin chefs have left because this city just can't support such a place. People here scoff at spending more than $100/pp. You think they can support $300-500/pp consistently? Not a chance. Many people with the opportunity would rather only eat meat and potatoes here anyways, so there is no point. A steakhouse is just that: a steakhouse. Yes, there are fine dining establishments here that are nice, but that is the extent of it.
That's another thing, it's stupid to spend $300-$500 on world class dining. You get meager to mid-sized portion of food on a huge plate, that doesn't make sense. World-class, fine dining does not a city make. Personally, if you're willing to spend $300-$500 per plate, you need your head examined.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yeah. That's pretty lame, dude.
I mean, we have some great restaurants here in Dallas, but Austin and SA are a joke...and really, Houston is the place I would have picked for the food...

Of course it all boils down to money. Luckily, it's about the chefs' food, not the city's food that makes that show.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I actually hear that all the time. why do you think so many people from Dallas come here?
Uh, I don't know anyone from Dallas that goes to Houston to have fun.

They might go down to the Austin area for the river...then again, my in-laws (who live in Houston) just bought a river house down by Austin, too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston