Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,016,612 times

Advertisements

Not sure if you saw the NY Senator Schumer make his really public crappy comments about Houston not deserving a a shuttle but if you did, I suggest you do like myself and my co-workers did and send him an e-mail and tell him how obnoxious his statements were -- here is a link to his Web site:

Senator Charles E. Schumer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,869,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Not sure if you saw the NY Senator Schumer make his really public crappy comments about Houston not deserving a a shuttle but if you did, I suggest you do like myself and my co-workers did and send him an e-mail and tell him how obnoxious his statements were -- here is a link to his Web site:

Senator Charles E. Schumer
The guy was just speaking the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:35 PM

922 posts, read 3,863,023 times
Despite Schumer's condescending comments about Houston's ability to draw tourists, the fact is that Space Center Houston and the Johnson Space Center draws thousands more visitors each year than the Intrepid Museum, where the Shuttle will be placed.

According to their websites, SCH/JCC has drawn 11 million visitors since 1992 and the Intrepid Museum has drawn 10MM since 1982. Averaging that out, the Houston facility attracts over 200,000 more visitors each year.

Also the SCH/JCC is 100% devoted to the space program. The Intrepid Museum, despite being officially named the "Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum" is focused much more on the Intrepid's history and service during WWII and Vietnam. The Intrepid's only connection to the space program is based on its role as part of the fleet that retrieved the splashdowns of the Mercury/Gemini capsules and the "Space" portion of the exhibits is nothing more than a couple of models of those capsules.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,243,571 times
When you think about it; when people are in NYC. They last thing they are going to go see is a shuttle. Just being honest. It would've made a bigger impact in Houston and would've gotten more appreciation.

Sucks the city can't be creative enough to make a better exhibit. Houston politicians lack any type of creativity and vision.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,780,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The guy was just speaking the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Amen! because when I think New York, I TOTALLY think NASA!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,060,853 times
A newer article, in which there was more investigation into the issue.

The results are disturbing.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news%2Flocal&id=8342577

When the [decision for sites] process started, Mike Griffin was NASA's boss. He told us, "I'd have sent a shuttle to KSC, MSFC, and JSC. In the absence of political considerations, it is not a difficult decision."

After Griffin left NASA, something -- whether politics or personalities -- got in the mix and Houston was shut out.

"It was definitely my decision," Bolden said.
He awarded the shuttles using a point system that gave no points for connection to space despite its inclusion in the law. But gave 20 percent of all points to international access -- meaning how many international tourists could see the shuttle. That's nowhere in the law.
"He essentially said, 'I care more about foreign tourists than I do about the community who built the shuttle,'" said Rep. Olson.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,005,320 times
It all comes down to attendance, and the likely number of people who would visit and view the shuttles, wherever they are placed. That always was the criteria, from the very beginning, and was never a surprise. The 13 potential sites were reviewed repeatedly, and Houston was always near the bottom (like around #10) in current and likely future attendance.

Let's face it, it's awfully hot and humid here much of the year. Especially in the summer time when most tourists are able to visit. Keep in mind also that Johnson Space Center (JSC) is near both Clear Lake and Galveston Buy, making it even more humid that much of the rest of the Houston area.

Whether we'll admit it or not, many people from other parts of the country and the world are not big fans of the heat and humidity. All you have to do is take a look at them being "shuttled" around in the open-air tram at JSC on any given day throughout the summer. They look absolutely miserable, and obviously not having a good time. Many would also point out that Houston is pretty weak when it comes to tourism, scenic beauty, etc. The relatively low attendance at JSC is not surprising when you look at the big picture.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:24 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,852,343 times
The arguments about heat/humidity and international access can apply to the Florida site as well.

If tourism and international access was so important, I'm surprised Las Vegas didn't get a shuttle.

The ABC article is quite telling.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,005,320 times
Florida's Kennedy Space Center makes JSC look like a joke. I've been to both, and KSC has infinitely more to see than JSC (much of it inside and air-conditioned). They've also got the huge launchpads, the huge transport, etc. And Florida has Orlando (Disney, Epcot, etc.) nearby, clean beaches with clear blue (not greenish brown) water, etc. Houston doesn't have squat by comparison.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:17 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,060,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Florida's Kennedy Space Center makes JSC look like a joke. I've been to both, and KSC has infinitely more to see than JSC (much of it inside and air-conditioned). They've also got the huge launchpads, the huge transport, etc.
JSC does need upgrading, but having a huge attraction like a shuttle may have allowed it to raise the funds to upgrade further.

Even so, that doesn't change the facts that at least parts of the 2010 NASA budget bill was ignored/violated when Bolden chose sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
And Florida has Orlando (Disney, Epcot, etc.) nearby, clean beaches with clear blue (not greenish brown) water, etc. Houston doesn't have squat by comparison.
Houston has a great cultural and museum district Orlando does not, and far better shopping and restaurants. Not Disney World, but I wouldn't say that's "squat." You seem bent on undermining Houston for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston