Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,025,456 times

Advertisements

Well here is some space memorabilia becoming available soon and sounds like any place on the planet may get to own a piece of this

Five-Ton Satellite Falling to Earth: Where Will it Hit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:53 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,131,862 times
I rarely agree with TimBomb but strictly as a vacation/tourist spot Houston IS boring! *ducking for cover*

Houston just doesn't rate up there with other places families or anyone who "wants to get away" can choose from. And it certainly doesn't market itself out-of-state as a destination. Most things that are touted in Houston are no different than what other big cities have - we're lucky to have them but people from out-of-state aren't going to be flocking here because of Discovery Green, the Galleria, our museums or Hermann Park.

If you didn't actually LIVE in Houston and had no family/friends here to visit would you really book your entire family to come down here on any given July or August for a vacation? Sure - JSC would be on our itinerary just because of its history and DH is a space nut - but Houston wouldn't have been on our radar as a vacay spot to begin with.

I am not hating on Houston. It is what it is - a nice place to raise your family with many big city amenities not to mention a renowned medical center. But not such a great place to go on vacation.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,025,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I rarely agree with TimBomb but strictly as a vacation/tourist spot Houston IS boring! *ducking for cover*

Houston just doesn't rate up there with other places families or anyone who "wants to get away" can choose from. And it certainly doesn't market itself out-of-state as a destination. Most things that are touted in Houston are no different than what other big cities have - we're lucky to have them but people from out-of-state aren't going to be flocking here because of Discovery Green, the Galleria, our museums or Hermann Park.

If you didn't actually LIVE in Houston and had no family/friends here to visit would you really book your entire family to come down here on any given July or August for a vacation? Sure - JSC would be on our itinerary just because of its history and DH is a space nut - but Houston wouldn't have been on our radar as a vacay spot to begin with.

I am not hating on Houston. It is what it is - a nice place to raise your family with many big city amenities not to mention a renowned medical center. But not such a great place to go on vacation.
Agree whole-heartedly - Houston is not a vacation destination but we do get tons of visitors every year albeit here to visit family/friends or here for extended business - and while here most people try and see a city and any tourist spots that city has. I know if I go for business somewhere, I take the opportunity to check the city or town out while I am there.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:40 PM

739 posts, read 1,189,849 times
Quote:

Houston really isn't a tourist town. I think alot of people know and understand that. The city can stand to improve on things like this, and mass transit. I think as more people move here from other places (moving based on jobs or other more critical and important reasons) perhaps more suggestions and input to city/civic leaders about improving in these areas. Meanwhile, Houston truly isn't a boring city.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:45 PM

18,141 posts, read 25,334,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Well here is some space memorabilia becoming available soon and sounds like any place on the planet may get to own a piece of this

Five-Ton Satellite Falling to Earth: Where Will it Hit?
The media and their fear-tactics.
Satellites have been falling from the sky for decades. And now is when the media starts freaking out.

Satellite Fall | Broken U.S. spy satellite falling out of orbit - Los Angeles Times - Jan. 2008

Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,131,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
Houston really isn't a tourist town. I think alot of people know and understand that. The city can stand to improve on things like this, and mass transit. I think as more people move here from other places (moving based on jobs or other more critical and important reasons) perhaps more suggestions and input to city/civic leaders about improving in these areas. Meanwhile, Houston truly isn't a boring city.
Houston is not a boring city (for the most part) for the people that live here. I agree.

My point is that as a tourist town, it is "boring" when you compare it to other cities that are considered vacation destinations. There's just not a lot of draw here to someone planning a get-away.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:32 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,583,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
Or maybe people just genuinely like Houston and enjoy living here, shuttle or no shuttle....

just sayin.....
mmkay i think thats called 'sweet lemon'... one of those things that screws up peoples reasoning

Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,583,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The media and their fear-tactics.
Satellites have been falling from the sky for decades. And now is when the media starts freaking out.

Satellite Fall | Broken U.S. spy satellite falling out of orbit - Los Angeles Times - Jan. 2008
exactly. somehow people like to think NASA and Houston are involved, like in Space Cowboys

Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 AM

24,034 posts, read 15,140,782 times
I recently learned that there is no love lost between JSC and Kennedy. KSC will prevail in any competition because the deck has always been stacked in their favor. It is common knowledge among employees. There is more to this shuttle stuff than we will ever know. Plus, there was no sustained effort to get it here. Bolton got no help from the powers that be.
Couple that with the fact that it is so far from the airport. If a family brought their kids to Houston, what would they do? Museums, ballgame, zoo, NASA? We take a backseat to anyplace. Now the family budget is calculated in the mix. Add in getting around town and most folks will go to someplace else.
DH takes his grandkids to spring training every year. And most of them live in Fl.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM

739 posts, read 1,189,849 times
Quote:
Houston is not a boring city (for the most part) for the people that live here. I agree.

My point is that as a tourist town, it is "boring" when you compare it to other cities that are considered vacation destinations. There's just not a lot of draw here to someone planning a get-away.
Definately not boring.

I don't think that Houston has ever really been a tourist city. The city/civic leaders and chamber of commerce hasn't really marketed the city as a tourist/vacation destination. I think that there is a sloooooow awakening to Houston's potential to be a vacation/tourism spot.

I think that it's been said best though, that it's not a great place to visit, but a great place to live....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston