Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times

Advertisements

There is a paper towel box that fits between the towel rack and the wall:
https://www.amazon.com/Kleenex-Hand-...dp/B00BFUSDO4/
The image shows it upright, you flip the wedge end down to the towel rack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 10:14 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
There is a paper towel box that fits between the towel rack and the wall:
https://www.amazon.com/Kleenex-Hand-...dp/B00BFUSDO4/
The image shows it upright, you flip the wedge end down to the towel rack.
I mentioned that product earlier but many people don't have towel bars in their powder room, just a towel ring for a hand towel.

And personally, I decided that if I was going to use paper towels for guests, I would buy the pretty ones rather that something more utilitarian.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:22 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,503 times
I use pretty paper guest towels, some are themed (Christmas, Super Bowl, Spring) some just have a silver stripe. My guests use them, especially during cold and flu season. Also when I had workmen in the house one mentioned that he really appreciated them, since he was hesitant to use those pretty towels that people put in their guest toilet.
A friend solved the space problem by using a napkin holder (https://www.amazon.com/Eiffel-Tower-...ct_top?ie=UTF8)

Old 09-03-2017, 11:25 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Personally, I think paper towels are somewhat tacky. I would (and do) go with nice decorative hand towels.
Wouldnt dream of using them either.. horrible things to ask a guest to use.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:30 AM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I agree ^^^ but obviously that's a matter of taste...

Old 09-03-2017, 01:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
My mom has heavy duty napkins stacked horizontally in a clear lucite open box. I'm not sure where she gets them but they are decorative and hold up well for a vigorous hand drying, better and much more attractive than a paper towel.

She goes bezerk if you ever use a hand towel hanging by the sink to ever dry your hands as if it were the most uncouth thing a person could ever do.

I like the napkins she has but we have hand towels rolled up in a decorative bowl, one kind of draped over the edge and ready to use. And I think using hand towels to dry your hands is a perfectly acceptable thing to do
I'm with you on all counts except I do put out hand towels but when I'm at a throw-down at someone else's house and I go to dry my hands.... yuck. I can't help thinking about...well, I do see the value of paper.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:22 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
me too. I also think paper towels are more sanitary. Who wants to be the 3rd or 4th at a dinner party to use the same towel?
Maybe get a small, narrow table or stand to put the paper towels on?
Exactly, if you are having a dinner party the pretty paper towels (not those on rolls) are a nice feature for guests especially during flu and cold season. Include a small waste basket nearby. For every day when only you and your family will be using it then the regular towels are fine. You can get lots of cheaper ones and keep them in a basket on either the shelf I showed or on a stand next to the sink.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:45 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Does anyone else provide paper towels in their bathrooms?
Paper towels are expensive and go fast in a bathroom, not to mention they look cheap. I stick with plain white hand towels that can be switched out with new ones and washed.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:53 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Paper towels are expensive and go fast in a bathroom, not to mention they look cheap. I stick with plain white hand towels that can be switched out with new ones and washed.
the majority of people here are not referring to sticking a roll of Bounty in the powder room. They are talking about decorative, individually folded hand towels that happen to be made of paper and that are disposable.

Many guests appreciate getting to use a clean, dry towel to dry their hands rather than one that may have been used by multiple other guests there at the same time.

And I can say from personal experience that many people don't seem to wash their powder room hand towels - I've been in some people's houses where the price tag was left on the towel and it's clearly never been washed and who knows how many people have used it since it was hung up. And these are cases where it doesn't seem to be intended as purely decorative because there is nothing else in the room to dry your hands with, unless you are expected to use toilet paper. Now THAT is tacky and cheap. But I've resorted to it rather than using a clearly not clean hand towel.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:20 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
The problem I have found with those decorative towels is the fact that many are not absorbent. They don't seem to dry your hands. I use terry hand towels in my bathrooms.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House