Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 02:44 PM

61,945 posts, read 87,574,290 times

Advertisements

Paper just look cheap and is wasteful.
Make a nice stack of single use cloth toweletts that could be washed and reused. Find a nice basket to hold those already used.
More classy if you care.
I have those. Guests love them.
https://www.amazon.com/Merryfeel-Pre.../dp/B072R3JPWS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 02:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
How about something like this: Stainless Steel Suction Paper Towel Holder

The guest bath won't get much traffic.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:12 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,977,522 times
As the host of the annual Christmas gathering, numbering in the twenties, I usually put out a tray with holiday-themed individual paper towels AND a couple of cloth guest-size towels on the rod.

For the most part, the only ones who used the paper towels were the kids. I don't know what the adults used because mostly it all went unused.

Either they were drying their hands on toilet tissue or they weren't washing at all.

I say that using a cloth towel AFTER washing one's hands with soap and water isn't all that unsanitary. The real problem is with a large group, the cloth towel will soon be so wet that it's no longer useful for its assigned purpose.

Hang a couple of clean bath towels on the rod and I guarantee that people will use them. They will simply find the dry spots and the towels will last til the end of the party.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:40 PM

5,642 posts, read 24,992,974 times
I don't like paper and use simple white towels that are cheap and easy to launder.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:02 PM

9,445 posts, read 6,601,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I don't like paper and use simple white towels that are cheap and easy to launder.

I only use white towels also. They get washed with bleach and changed daily. The white really shows you how much stuff ends up on towels!

Old 09-02-2017, 05:15 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,439,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I only use white towels also. They get washed with bleach and changed daily. The white really shows you how much stuff ends up on towels!
Because people don't do a good job washing their hands? yuck

Paper towels seem very "commercial" but may make sense for a party or big get together where many people would be using the same small towel over and over. But, many people would not be used to seeing paper towels and kind of wonder if they're supposed to use them. For "every day" I'd use cloth since 99% of the time it's you and 1% the odd guest in your house.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:39 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,279,383 times
For every day use, I use a hand towel in the towel rack. That means for me, and if I have maybe 2 or 3 people over and not all of them are necessarily going to use the powder room.

If I'm having a larger group over, I use the decorative folded paper towels in basket (a tall narrow basket so it fits on the pedestal sink, with the towels standing up on the bottom edge). I know I'm not thrilled about using a damp and bedraggled hand towel even if it was clean to start with, so I figure I'll give my guests the option of a clean and dry disposable towel.

I did buy one of those boxes of the hand towels that you can hang upside down on a towel bar, but I don't have a towel bar in the powder room, just a towel ring, so they had to go on the toilet and I don't know that people realized they were there since the toilet is behind them when they are facing the sink to wash their hands.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Do you have a job or a life outside of your home? You have time to change and launder towels daily? WOW.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:12 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,279,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do you have a job or a life outside of your home? You have time to change and launder towels daily? WOW.
And do you realize that towels can be changed daily without being laundered daily? I use a fresh wash cloth and hand/face towel in my master bath every day. Then they go into a laundry basket and I wash towels once a week.

I could do the same for my powder room but the reality is that most days, I use it a couple of times a day, solely to wash my hands and I am ok using that towel for a few days before replacing it. My son actually goes upstairs when he needs to use the bathroom so generally I'm the only one using that towel.

I don't have enough of the decorative hand towels I use in that room to leave a basket full for when I have a number of guests and I'd rather just get pretty paper hand towels for those occasions.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 PM

9,445 posts, read 6,601,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

I'm a retired RN who has grandkids in and out frequently and I also care for my husband who has early dementia. I put out clean towels daily, and launder them every couple days. It wasn't like this when work and school kept the house empty for hours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House