Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,252,159 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to need to set the dryer against the wall, but then have the vent visibly on the right with one of these hoses?? I don't know if they can vent on the wall behind because there's already the bath on the behind.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Builder-s-B...nt-Kit/4566310

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 06:56 PM

Or maybe they are reworking the floor plan to have them face each other... The house is 24 feet wide and 34 feet long, and from that, I extrapolate that the room is 6 feet by 6 feet (hopefully that's enough for 2 27 inch wide appliances). I'm open to stacking them even if it looks awkward...

Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,131,333 times
The wall between the bath and the laundry is a 2X6 wall- a much better scenario than putting a 4" duct into a 3-1/2" wall!
Don't let idiocy rule! There's plenty of common sense staring you in the face- it's just a matter of bringing it to the attention of the superintendent. If he can't see the logic- you're dealing with an idiot!!!

Old 05-05-2017, 08:56 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,345,825 times
I wouldn't place the washer and dryer facing each other. Think of the door swings and how much room you would have to bend.

Take your tape measure and a bit of tape that you can mark off exactly wher the appliances are going to be. Then pretend you are actually transferring clothes. From basket to washer, from washer to dryer. Then imagine you have at least two loads. Transferring done dryer load, washer to dryer and basket to washer.

You really do need to have the super walk you through the place BEFORE drywall goes up. Ask him all these questions. He is ultimately working FOR you. He may just put your mind at ease or he might correct an issue that hasn't been addressed because no one has brought it up before.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:00 AM

So I have learned that lots of dryers have side vents... a little elbow grease, but if I want both against the wall, I can do side venting. Or, since wall is 72 inches, and appliances are 54 (27x2), I should be able to just twist the cable? Ugly, but less work.

I'll definitely talk to my sales person on seeing if I can talk to the supervisor.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Everything You Need to Know About Ventless Dryers in 2017 - Reviewed.com Laundry

Also read about ventless dryers. Reviews aren't great on Home Depot's website, but Europeans have been doing it for a while.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,345,825 times
I wouldn't do ventless. Think about all the humidity going into that relatively small space.

You should be able to talk to the super! I'm so glad we had an open communication with ours. Before building actually started, we had a meeting with ours and he went over all the details of what we chose for finishes, timelines and his cell phone number in case we had questions. There were several times we had called (understatement) and a couple of times he had us meet him at the job site.

We were out of state when the pool was actually finished and filled, he texted us a picture of it done. I'd say he was an absolute gem of a super!

Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,681,797 times
Talking Europe uses tiny little unvented dryers because they're forced too, not because they are "better"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I wouldn't do ventless. Think about all the humidity going into that relatively small space.
There are expensive "condenser" or "heat pump" dryers which actually condense the water out and send it to a tray or down the drain.

American consumers have the option of "full size" washers and dryers -- our homes are constructed to provide 220VAC high-amperage circuits for electric dryers and to allow for outside venting, plus we like the laundry machines that finish a cycle in as short a time as possible. Europe uses tiny little unvented dryers because they're forced to, not necessarily because they are "better"

If you have natural gas available, that's usually the cheapest cost per load, but of course venting is mandatory when you're burning NG or propane.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:10 AM

This is another unit in the same townhouse building, with a better dryer vent position and the wiring seems better?

I left a sticky note on the back of the tub in case a supervisor or electric guy or county inspector sees it and flags it My salesperson is out sick.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,131,333 times
Yep- that's the way it SHOULD LOOK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House