Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:40 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,094,029 times

Advertisements

The "wrap around" is a satirical comment on draping the 20 amp circuit over the 30 amp circuit. It is highly illegal (and unprofessional) to do such things. Perhaps this wire is not finalized and will be pulled back, stapled, and finished properly. One can't tell where it goes and if it is ultimately secured from looking at the pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 06:48 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,252,159 times
I see. I just walked into the builder myself and the contract only allows 1 inspection, before the final walkthrough. Wish I got a realtor so I could have stipulated a before drywall inspection.

Learning a lot with this first house, hopefully the next owner in 5-10 years doesn't have too many issues.

What's the chance you think the county inspector will catch it? I track the Copperleaf development and they have failed some inspections, so they don't blindly sign off on the house.

https://eddspermits.gwinnettcounty.com/citizenaccess/

Old 05-03-2017, 09:21 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,094,029 times
BIG red flag if the builder won't allow a walk through at any time...of course, you need to be reasonable as well, but it must not be a great relationship if he won't show you his work along the way.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 AM

My salesperson said I can walk through the building anytime, as long as no one's working on it (crew is usually gone by 7PM).

I only get 1 home inspection, I think a couple weeks before the final official walkthrough.

I do wish it was a more collaborative building process where the technical people would loop me in on updates. The salespeople try to answer as best they can but they don't have incentives to keep me looped in on the building.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,345,825 times
When we were building, if we had questions or wanted something noticed, we talked directly to the manager of the project.

At one point, we noticed a crack in one of the vertical studs. We marked it with a sharpie (we carried one in the car for just this reason) that said 'replace' and circled the crack. It was severe enough that I could bow that board with a gentle push. The next time we visited the site, another board was sistered in. Neither gave at all when pushing on it.

We went out there just about every day. It is our money, ultimately, paying for the house. Once in a while we would catch the manager out there inspecting the job done. At that time, we would ask questions as to what this or that was.

I don't know if that crack would have been noticed or not, I didn't want to take the chance on the 'not'.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:32 AM

How bad do you think the wrap around is? Instant hazard, or long term potential maybe hazard?

BTW, you may notice a dark spot (MOLD) on the wall stud in the top left of the original post. I just told my salesperson to relay it to the construction people. I think it's due to when they install the 1 piece fiberglass shower, they fill it with water to settle it, and in this hot weather, it has been evaporating?

Hopefully that does something, otherwise, in the future, I'll mark the mold and the wrap around with a marker for the county to see.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 05-03-2017, 11:49 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,131,333 times
Gwinnett county-
I'm glad I really never had to deal with that county- Had 3 projects back many years ago during the boom- The inspectors there at the time had that "holier than thou" mentality with a lot of "non-consensus" direction and approval.

Curious, who's the builder that's trying to hide stuff? (one inspection is very limiting). I would allow pre-drywall, and final- but I also had a list of 3 private inspectors that were not allowed (their inspections were so obsurd that we finally had to say NO! Not allowed to step-foot on property!

Let's just say that the wrap around is wrong- doesn't matter if there's a short term OR long term potential.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM

23,612 posts, read 70,493,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
How bad do you think the wrap around is? Instant hazard, or long term potential maybe hazard?

BTW, you may notice a dark spot (MOLD) on the wall stud in the top left of the original post. I just told my salesperson to relay it to the construction people. I think it's due to when they install the 1 piece fiberglass shower, they fill it with water to settle it, and in this hot weather, it has been evaporating?

Hopefully that does something, otherwise, in the future, I'll mark the mold and the wrap around with a marker for the county to see.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Nah, that is wood that has been left out in the elements for a few months. Looks like they were scrounging the last of a pile to finish. In some areas, that is cosmetic. I personally wouldn't want it near a bathroom. Whether or not that is unreasonable is for others to judge.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:36 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,748,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I've been trying to Google the building code that specifies that a laundry room not on the ground floor requires a drain but I can't find it...

Thinking possibly the builder is doing it this way to prevent future costly warranty claims?
It's not code in all states to have a drain in an upstairs laundry room. It was in Illinois and we had it in our upstairs laundry room, but we moved to Indiana last year and our laundry room in our new home is also on the third floor with NO drain! It is not code here and if the washer malfunctions it WILL NOT be covered by the builder warranty because it is NOT code. I would ask your builder about that and make sure that pipe is for a drain and if for some reason it's not get them to do it! We are now putting in a drain and it's a pain in the butt to do yourself!

Old 05-03-2017, 02:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
The yellow wire is a 20 amp circuit, the white circuit is 15 amp circuit and the orange wire is a 30 amp circuit.
Good question what the pipe sticking up thru the floor is. It might be a drain and it might just be something temp'd in that will go thru that drilled hole later.
Personally I think it is sitting too close to where the w/d set will go to be a drain...
It would be covered up by the machines...but maybe that is the idea---
If there is a pipe/overflow issue with the washer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House