Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
...Is your grout color matched to where it's hard to see?
The grout was a lot harder to pick out than the tile! I used a randomly dark to light hued brown/red (rust) porcelain in my living areas. There was nothing that would match so I used a black/gray/moss green (it's the color of dirt, lol) that, believe it or not, just disappears.

Get some hard grout samples, not the shiny crap on paper. You may have to go to a flooring distributor. Spread out 10+ tiles on your floor and look at it with the grout from a standing height. Leave them there a few days as you may change your mind several times. I did.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,947,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
The grout was a lot harder to pick out than the tile! I used a randomly dark to light hued brown/red (rust) porcelain in my living areas.
How big of a grout line did you use with the ceramis/porcelin wood-look tiles? The sales pictures that I've seen of the ones that are something like 8x18-ish in size, give or take, look like they don't have visibly thick grout lines.

I'm also thinking about using them just for that reason. I want to get as far away from grout lines as possible, and I like the look of wood, but I don't want wood in traffic areas. If the wood-look tiles are butted right next to each other, it would be perfect.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,033,702 times
I've been searching and a "contractor" that has his own blog recommends atleast a 1/32 line. Someone said they couldn't find small enough crosses (I can't think of the name of them put people use them to keep the tiles spaced apart evenly). So they used paper clips.

There was someone asking if they could just put them up against each other and he says you need a grout no matter what.

I hope the flooring place I go to buy the tiles at has a grout that will be a 100% color match.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM

268 posts, read 1,067,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
How big of a grout line did you use with the ceramis/porcelin wood-look tiles? The sales pictures that I've seen of the ones that are something like 8x18-ish in size, give or take, look like they don't have visibly thick grout lines.

I'm also thinking about using them just for that reason. I want to get as far away from grout lines as possible, and I like the look of wood, but I don't want wood in traffic areas. If the wood-look tiles are butted right next to each other, it would be perfect.
I used a 12 x 12 tile with 1/8" wide grout joints. The smaller the tile is, the easier it is on the installer, the less he will charge you.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 PM

Yes bumping old thread cause it's mine and the only one of it's kind.

Can they install a faux wood or real wood trim on the baseboard like they do with wood floors? My brother had engineered wood installed and they didn't remove the baseboards because they put a wood trim down. I'm going to get this done soon because my dogs refuse to obey. Guess it's harder when you have yorkies and 2 of the 3 are boys but I digress.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Whelp I paid someone to do the rest. I only did the master bedroom. Had I known (or even called firt hand) I would've had them do everything. I ended up removing the carpet and paint/texture from the concrete though. I had all the stuff to install it minus the 1/4 round and it cost me <2k. I did install a new backsplash (if it's even called that) on the fireplace.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM

561 posts, read 1,514,187 times
WOW what some great info! We put in a wood floor in our home that was built five years ago when we had two small dogs. Hmm, no problem then. Now we have six rescues of which three are large and that wood floor ain't doing so well. I planned to replace with tile, but this wood look tile will be absolutely perfect!

I live in a rural area and this type of information helps tremendously, sometimes it's the only way I can learn of new ideas!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 PM

430 posts, read 1,695,953 times
Hmm, something to think about as I've been planning to have solid hardwood installed! I have dogs who become more "accident" prone as they get more geriatric. Has anyone seen a lighter colored wood tile in person? Its a little dark here in the PNW and I'd like to stick with lighter colors (was planning to have red oak put in).

Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 13,759 times
Default wood tiles and faux tiles

I was searching the web for alternatives to hardwood for my new home and when found this thread i have fallen in love with wood tile. Does wood tile require the same kind of maintenance like a ceramic/porcelain tile? Is it scratch resistant just like any other ceramic tile? Does it require some coatings to be applied every couple of years to retain the gloss etc.,?
Pardon my naive as I am considering wood tile as a serious option for my home.
Also would like to know if wood tile and faux tile is different - in the sense is wood tile more like ceramic and faux tile more like wood/laminate? Please enlighten me

Old 08-21-2012, 05:13 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,063,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet1home View Post
I was searching the web for alternatives to hardwood for my new home and when found this thread i have fallen in love with wood tile. Does wood tile require the same kind of maintenance like a ceramic/porcelain tile? Is it scratch resistant just like any other ceramic tile? Does it require some coatings to be applied every couple of years to retain the gloss etc.,?
Pardon my naive as I am considering wood tile as a serious option for my home.
Also would like to know if wood tile and faux tile is different - in the sense is wood tile more like ceramic and faux tile more like wood/laminate? Please enlighten me
We've had a mid tone wood tile for over 10 years. They really should be described as wood looking tiles. They are regular ceramic or porcelain. They wear like iron. We've dropped drills, had young active dogs, foster dogs, old dogs etc. on them. They look good as new. We have dragged furniture across them. Not a mark on them. But make sure you test the one you like. We tried to gouge the samples with a screw driver and checked the hardness rating of the tile. The ones we picked were rated very hard.

I recommend getting a brown epoxy grout that matches your tile and having the installer put them in with a random pattern so it looks more like how hardwood is installed. We have them in our living room, dining room, kitchen, office and master bedroom. I put a different tile in the entry and the master bath. I wish I had done the wood look tile everywhere. Everyone who sees it thinks it is real hardwood. Even contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House