Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 PM

312 posts, read 832,499 times

Advertisements

So let me explain. Me and the wife spent 2 entire days at tiles shops, it seems that everything that attracts us is kind of contemporary. We like grays but are not sure if it will work with the rest of the house. We even brought some samples home to check it against the hardwood floor. Still don't know if they work. There are a couple of options that have some brown in them so they are warmer.
The truth is we are worried that none of these will work well and even started thinking about just putting hardwood similar to living room or bedrooms.

We started considering putting hardwood similar to our dining room (parquet) or the living rooms (plank). For sure it would fell warmer and match more.

Could you please share your thoughts on these tiles or going with wood?

I have numbered the tiles in the pics. Link below to gallery including next door dining room and bedroom

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v57nkmuuost5gjn/J9yNg-9Of6

More info:
- 1940 san francisco home
- cabinets will be white shaker style
- there is a lot of light

Thanks so much,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
With all the other impasses you've had with this project using C-D as a free decorator/designer has its limitations.
Don't you think that the project would move along better and be more cohesive if you just hired a decorator/ designer? Having someone there that has a pulse on "your" likes and dislikes along a literal hands-on approach would bring a more satisfying result.

Besides, color renderings on computers suck!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 PM

If I had to start again I would hire one, but didn't think was going to be so difficult. Now I am very far along and overall satisfied with the choices made with suggestions from others. But this is also why great forums like this exist. To get help.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,955,540 times
The color grey or any form of it is the most depressing on the color wheel. Green is the most relaxing, browns and yellows are the warmest colors. Red builds excitement, blue is also depressing but not as much as grey. Grey of any kind would never be an option in my personal home. It will also make a room look small.
It's never too late to hire a decorator. Make sure if you do go to one to build a relationship with them. If they start suggesting colors and etc before knowing you, move on to another one. Decorating is a very personal thing.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 PM

Thanks Trapper. Kind of late because we are both very busy and work far from home. Hard to meet, interview, etc... Plus kitchen tiling could start in 1 week if we had it all picked up. Baby on the way, trying to get home ready.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
breaking up floor surfaces makes a home look smaller. So having one cohesive floor looks smoother and larger. That being said, I don't like parquet at all and I think most people think it is dated. So I would go with hardwood floors similar to the rest of the main floor. I've had hardwood in kitchens for 30 years and it has never been a maintenance problem.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Please go with wood. None of those choices seem to go at all, especially with the original wood. Tile in a kitchen is terrible on your feet and just looks gross over time.

Kudzu is right about the wood unifying your house and making the space "feel" larger.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,165,704 times
Just my .02, but I agree with Wmsn4Life. Never been a fan of tile in a kitchen, for several reasons. It's cold and hard on the feet/legs, spills soak into the grout lines causing stains that are tough to remove, and if you ever drop a dish it's guaranteed to shatter into a million pieces.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,912,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
breaking up floor surfaces makes a home look smaller. So having one cohesive floor looks smoother and larger. That being said, I don't like parquet at all and I think most people think it is dated. So I would go with hardwood floors similar to the rest of the main floor. I've had hardwood in kitchens for 30 years and it has never been a maintenance problem.
I agree, and we did the same thing.

I like option #3 the most out of your tile choices. Ask the tile store people to give you some recommendations based on your photos. Tell them the colors you like and your style and I'm sure they will help.

Even offer them a few bucks/ bottle of wine to come to your house and give you suggestions.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 AM

We are getting very inclined toward putting wood now...talking to GC about this..we would go for the strips like in other areas of the house (except DR and LR which are parquet).

As far as tiles, the designer did give suggestions, he has been on the house to take measures for the cabinet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House