Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there are any recommended electric alternatives. Have pets who constrantly track in dirt and shed. Tried the Roomba and Scooba, neither produced satisfactory results...Think our pets are just too dirty...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM

148 posts, read 584,949 times
Dunno about electric alternatives, but the best thing I've found for pet hair is a rubber bristle broom. They sell one at flylady.net, called a "Rubba Sweepa". A steam mop works good for the dirt and messes on the floor.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
A damp sponge. Makes any dust or hair stick better than any dry alternative.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
We have nine cats, a sandy yard with no lawn, and woods with lots of humus and evergreen needles.

The cats come and go as they please through a kitty door.

Our floors are laminate with throw rugs.

We have given up trying to keep things clean and only sweep and vacuum when the dirt gets distracting.

I buy a new keyboard about every three months because they love to walk on it when I'm on-line. Sometime I can shake the sand out, but sometimes I can't.
I wish I could find a protective skin to cover it.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
We too have wood floors throughout our entire house. We also have 2 dogs, one of which is an English Bulldog and likes to drool on those wood floors.

I like the floors to be very clean so yes its a bit of work. We sweep with a regular broom. Then we take a swiffer with the pads on it, but we do not use the swiffer cleaning solution. We found a product called METHOD natural wood floor cleaner that can be purchased at target. It has a wonderful almost scent and it is natural and safe. We squirt it on the floor and use the swiffer tool to clean. Its so far been the quickest and safest for the floors.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:55 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
For true wood floors, my mom always cleaned them with about a cup of vinegar in a bucket of water. Kept the water from causing streaks, I guess. That would probably work on the laminate as well. Some people don't like the smell, though.

I don't think the electric are capable of doing the job by themselves. They can be used for the daily stuff, but occasionally a good cleaning is in order.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
I use swiffer duster for the faux wood floors, then just damp mop with water and a little orange cleaner. I don't think vinegar water might be okay for them. For tile, you cannot beat a steamer for good cleaning. I have cats, and I found that a good handvac is worth it's weight in gold for every day. I just vacuum up all around the edges of floors, next to furniture etc where the fur collects. On big cleaning days, I get the big vacuum out and vacuum behind & under all the furniture and run it over the floors, then mop or steam clean.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I use swiffer duster for the faux wood floors, then just damp mop with water and a little orange cleaner. I don't think vinegar water might be okay for them. For tile, you cannot beat a steamer for good cleaning. I have cats, and I found that a good handvac is worth it's weight in gold for every day. I just vacuum up all around the edges of floors, next to furniture etc where the fur collects. On big cleaning days, I get the big vacuum out and vacuum behind & under all the furniture and run it over the floors, then mop or steam clean.
We have wood floors, not faux wood, but I was told that orange cleaner creates build up and to stay away from it. But maybe it depends on whehter they are true or not.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,108 times
I use my Dyson on the tile and it picks up all the dog hair and dirt. I follow behind it with a Libman mop, water and vinegar.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
I use my DYSON with the beater off then Swiffer. I have all wood/tile in my home. I have used Method (all natural brand) from Target...which does smell great. Which reminds me I need to go to Target
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House