Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just recently purchased a co-op. It has one bedroom and it is on the smaller-side. We purchased it for a lower price because it needs some updating---especially the bathroom.

However, we also plan on updating the kitchen. The kitchen is probably 1/4th of the size of the one in the apartment that we used to rent so it's taking some getting used to but overall, I can wait on an update for awhile. I would like some input on---and perhaps your ideas---on what you might do if you had a kitchen like this. (And without, "I wouldn't have ever bought it in the first place!" ) I like to take my time and really look into my options, as well as hear other peoples' ideas that I might not have thought of myself.

Some basic dimensions:
-The width is a little over 84"
-The length is approximately 81"
-The range is 24" wide, as is the dishwasher
-The large cabinets are approximately 42" long

Attachment 105783

Attachment 105784

Attachment 105785

Attachment 105786

-There is not a lot of space however having the long cabinets works out. Even though as a tall person I will need a step stool to reach the highest shelf, that's fine with me. The closet you see in the background will be used as a pantry/additional storage area for the kitchen. I have been looking into a lot of little storage ideas that would be great for this tiny space and have bookmarked a lot of ideas from Houzz.

-Keep in mind that moving things around is probably not an option in terms of pipes/gas lines. Also, there is a vent over the stove but there is also an additional vent above the cabinet that is above the stove that seems to suction air out of the apartment itself into the building somewhere. Knocking down a wall to expand is probably not an option.

In addition to eventually updating the sometimes odd-smelling cabinets and older countertops, I was thinking I might change the dishwasher into an 18" slim model and use the additional inches gained to put in a larger range, which would be 30". The stove is very old, doesn't even have the oven rack inside and half of the burners seem to not work so I would be replacing it anyway. I would love to have a french door refrigerator but I could see the door swinging into the wall constantly if one wasn't careful to open it.

So, what would you do, if anything?

Would you change the size of the appliances?

Where would you put your microwave? Would you get rid of the vent and put one over the stove or no? (Remember---no window but there seems to be additional ventilation above the cabinet.)

Would you get custom made cabinets?

We do have money for a kitchen update; however, I am very indecisive yet sometimes impulsive so I have learned to think about things for a long time before I make any final decisions. I also do not want to go crazy spending money on a kitchen like this. Even though the money is there, I also have a hideous bathroom to update at some point so I'm not in a rush. I'm really just trying to get ideas from other people that I might not have thought of on my own.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by city living; 03-28-2016 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
I have to laugh at some of the photos that come up when you Google the searches that you did because some of those kitchens are not tiny. At all. I have probably looked at every Ideabook that relates to small kitchens on Houzz already and half of them are the same way---kitchens deemed "small" are really just not. All of those galley kitchens in that particular link, for example, are at the very least twice the size of my kitchen.

I have been looking at LOTS of ideas. I was just curious as to what others might consider doing, not only to get some fresh ideas but also practically-speaking.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My husband and I just recently purchased a co-op. It has one bedroom and it is on the smaller-side. We purchased it for a lower price because it needs some updating---especially the bathroom.

However, we also plan on updating the kitchen. The kitchen is probably 1/4th of the size of the one in the apartment that we used to rent so it's taking some getting used to but overall, I can wait on an update for awhile. I would like some input on---and perhaps your ideas---on what you might do if you had a kitchen like this. (And without, "I wouldn't have ever bought it in the first place!" ) I like to take my time and really look into my options, as well as hear other peoples' ideas that I might not have thought of myself.

Some basic dimensions:
-The width is a little over 84"
-The length is approximately 81"
-The range is 24" wide, as is the dishwasher
-The large cabinets are approximately 42" long

Attachment 105783

Attachment 105784

Attachment 105785

Attachment 105786

-There is not a lot of space however having the long cabinets works out. Even though as a tall person I will need a step stool to reach the highest shelf, that's fine with me. The closet you see in the background will be used as a pantry/additional storage area for the kitchen. I have been looking into a lot of little storage ideas that would be great for this tiny space and have bookmarked a lot of ideas from Houzz.

-Keep in mind that moving things around is probably not an option in terms of pipes/gas lines. Also, there is a vent over the stove but there is also an additional vent above the cabinet that is above the stove that seems to suction air out of the apartment itself into the building somewhere. Knocking down a wall to expand is probably not an option.

In addition to eventually updating the sometimes odd-smelling cabinets and older countertops, I was thinking I might change the dishwasher into an 18" slim model and use the additional inches gained to put in a larger range, which would be 30". The stove is very old, doesn't even have the oven rack inside and half of the burners seem to not work so I would be replacing it anyway. I would love to have a french door refrigerator but I could see the door swinging into the wall constantly if one wasn't careful to open it.

So, what would you do, if anything?

Would you change the size of the appliances?

Where would you put your microwave? Would you get rid of the vent and put one over the stove or no? (Remember---no window but there seems to be additional ventilation above the cabinet.)

Would you get custom made cabinets?

We do have money for a kitchen update; however, I am very indecisive yet sometimes impulsive so I have learned to think about things for a long time before I make any final decisions. I also do not want to go crazy spending money on a kitchen like this. Even though the money is there, I also have a hideous bathroom to update at some point so I'm not in a rush. I'm really just trying to get ideas from other people that I might not have thought of on my own.

Thank you very much in advance.
Wow....first I want to say WOW a real live 24" free standing range. How many arguments I have had over the years where people deny they exist. It's rare mind you. In 33 years and over 4000 kitchens to my name, only 1 single time have I had to install a 24" range.

Anyway. If you're doing a kitchen makeoever. First thing I have to say is that oven MUST be moved from the wall. Not only is it against all code but it's deemed unsafe though I never heard of any fire starting due to it. The range should never ever be next to the dishwasher. It also should never be next to a fridge though I see it all the time. Architects like to put the oven or range next to the fridge but they don't know any better.

To upsize to a standard 30" range is ok, you just need to decide if the bigger range is worth losing 6" of precious counter top work space. I'd stick with the 42" high uppers but you must lose that white slab door frameless look. I know you know that already so I won't go into it.

Don't go granite. Why spend all that money on such a small kitchen. Don't be tempted by that pre-fab Chinese granite which you can do the whole kitchen for less then $200. I won't go into depth on that issue either. Instead go with a nice laminate. Today's generation of laminates are beautiful and high quality. No longer does laminate have a bad name to it. Well it still does a little but it's unwarranted.

Do not spend a fortune on high quality cabinets. Today's home buyer don't know the difference between a cheap Chinese cabinet and extreme quality Woodmode brand. All they see is new cabinets, brand and quality makes not a difference at all. Besides, in these economic depression times with home value continuing to fall, why put so much money into it. Right?

All the craze is shaker doors with dark dark dark dark almost black color. This fad is about to fall on it's face and all those who fell for this fad will be sitting on a house that can't sell cause they are fugly. For 2 years now I been posting that shaker accounts for 7 of every 10 sales in north America. I can honestly say all the statistics show shaker and dark color is fading like the wind. Thank God!!

Stay with the single sink. Why lose more counter work space for the privilege of having another bin to store dirty dishes. If you really really really don't need the DW I might advice leaving it out but I know I will get some flack for that one. I see a tiny kitchen which suggests a tiny house which suggests no kids or maybe just 1. So who needs a DW anyway? Lazy people?

I don't know what that room next to the sink is but it appears to be a hallway. Why not take that wall out to make the kitchen feel bigger. At the very least make it a pony wall to 42" high and put a tiny counter top on it to be like a food serving staging area.

Finally, you must have read thus far all the post telling you to avoid the big orange who only wants your little green. They charge full list price. No smart consumer pays MSRP. That's like paying sticker price for your new car. It is just unheard of. Stay clear of the very tempting Chinese made cabinets that advertise $895 for an all cherry wood kitchen. Your life will be in danger and especially young children with yet undeveloped immune systems that can not tolerate the extreme levels of formaldehyde, lead and sulfur. In California it is now illegal to own, sell or purchase Chinese cabinets. WOW!! I just learned that. I don't see it as good news on the economic front but for the environment I can say this govt has enacted new rules forcing China to produce less toxic products before they could be shipped here.

I think I covered some good areas for now while keeping this to something less then a book.
Good luck

Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I have friends / clients that have bought condos in Chicago high rises that have kitchens every bit as tiny as the one pictured. The amount of money you spent on the condo is a huge "guide post" as to how much you might want to consider as a "max" -- if your unit is in a building that has some really fancy fixed up units in a luxury location it MIGHT make sense to actually spend MORE than you did on acquiring the condo, as down the road you can reap the benefits of turning the "ugly duckling into the beautiful swan" though that might require doing over the WHOLE unit --- if the only way to get "natural light" to the space is to remove other interior walls that is the sort of project that might be worthwhile...

If you are instead thinking more along the lines of "keep the renovations to the kitchen itself" I would strongly recommend thinking in terms of the high style kitchens that are somewhat popular in highrises around the world -- lots of European and Asian brands do make "high end" appliances designed for smaller spaces. Often times the scale of things is designed to give a complete "built-in" look. The British kitchen magazines often depict the "bespoke" cabinetry that covers dishwasher drawers, refrigeration and freezer units seamlessly integrated into base cabinets, upper cabinets with doors that lift-up instead of pivoting out, LED lighting that highlights the counter (and sometimes toe-kick and soffit space), unique plumbing that can be either fully concealed or multi-function, and a general level of "specialization" that you won't get at typical US based kitchen companies that really do cater to folks with larger spaces.

Additionally I have seen nice looking effects with color and things like "antiqued" mirrors that can elevate the look of a small kitchen far beyond one's imagination. The old days of "white is best" are sadly disproved by the builder grade junk that the OP is currently saddled with...

I might start with a compact 24" range with true professional power / pedigree: BlueStar RNB244BSS 24" Pro-Style Gas Range with 4 Open Burners, 3.5 cu. ft. Convection Oven and Ceramic Infrared Broiler

Junk that "housing project" fridge for some high end units: 700BR Refrigerator Drawers | Sub-Zero Appliances

Dishwasher drawers: Dishwashers and Dishdrawer Dishwashers - Kitchen Appliances by Fisher & Paykel Appliances United States of America

Maybe a sink that is all tricked out for multi-function use: http://cookkitchen.com/media/catalog...5/d/8/d810.jpg

Probably start focusing on cabinetry designs with a British / European scale:

Smallbone of Devizes - Metropolitan Kitchen

German Kitchen Companies | european-kitchen-design.com

Realize too that you want to focus NOT of the fact that "those are so much more space than I have" but instead on the ways those firms maximize FUNCTION and how you can leverage those design principles to create an appealing place in your home to work on food preparation AND have something with enough organization / beauty to make it inviting...

Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I have been looking at LOTS of ideas.
I was just curious as to what others might consider doing,
not only to get some fresh ideas but also practically-speaking.
As far as layout... I don't see any room for improvement.
It is what it is.

That leaves you the "lipstick on a pig" end of things.
You can put in new cabinets and use different materials when doing that.
And while it's all torn apart change out the flooring and lighting and paint too.
It will look nicer.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 AM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
This will be your determining factor-
" We purchased it for a lower price because it needs some updating---"

What was the range of the comp's versus your purchase price? That should be your budget. However that works for updating a kitchen, and re-doing a bath- stick to it. Co-op's in NYC can be a slippery slope- especially when considering the age of the building and the financial status of the co-op as a whole.

The only time I know of when it's really "safe" to go over and above is when an adjoining unit can be obtained and combined. The unit can be used in the "overall" design, but can also function as a separate unit.

So, not knowing any of the particulars (those above, and all of the logistics that are involved in doing remodeling in NYC-[I do know a lot of them]) I'd probably concentrate on the bath. By all accounts the kitchen is operable- it's just not a shiny penny.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I wouldn't do anything for at least six months after moving in.

After that, I'd probably get some new countertops, new floor, and paint the walls. Maybe new lights and cupboard handles.

It's hard to tell if the cupboards are dinged up at all -- or if the doors on the cupboard over the fridge won't close -- but if they aren't just keep them and dress them up a bit. If the appliances work, leave them. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The range should never ever be next to the dishwasher.
Can I hijack for a sec and just ask about this, before I go home to my house where the range (all electric, regular size) is next to the dishwasher (regular size)? It's been that way since I moved in 9+ years ago and I even got a new dishwasher installed about 5 or so years ago and the guy didn't say that was bad. Nor did the repair guy when he came and fixed the DW under warranty. My house only dates to the 1980s so it's not exactly ancient in terms of code, but it's not exactly up to date either. Is there really something in code that says not to lay it out that way? I'll probably be doing some reno in there, and it'll probably be on the cheap/easy side because it's a fairly cheap house, and keeping things in their same places would be somewhat cheaper/easier obviously. I don't particularly LIKE having it laid out that way, but it might not be especially practical to change around even though I do have at least twice as much space in there as the OP.

It would be nice to move the range in that tiny kitchen because it is next to the wall (which becomes a problem for putting larger items on the burners that are next to the wall), but as the OP said it probably can't be moved around easily in that kind of building. Which isn't to say it couldn't be done if you REALLY wanted to, probably just cost lots of $$$$. I'm familiar with a highrise condo building here and people can and do change the layouts somewhat as long as they're willing to spend enough. AFAIK there is no gas in this one though, which keeps it a little bit simpler.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,837,514 times
If you have an Ikea anywhere near by, wander around their showroom and look at the display rooms. Some of the kitchens there are quite tiny and use space amazingly well and you can get some great ideas from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating