Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 AM

16 posts, read 25,270 times

Advertisements

So we've been living in our house for 5 years now and still havent painted or done any updates to our kitchen because well - the hubby and I both suck at decorating. :/

Not looking to do major changes - and we plan to update counters to a black/brown granite look as soon extra cash flows in.. but Im looking at painting, hardware updates and maybe a few other minor updates.. looking for any possible tips or advice on a facelift for my kitchen.

I love the size, dont mind the layout and dont mind the cabinets themselves. But i hate the gold look and it definately needs some color.

Here are some pics

Pics attached

And yes - those cabinets are just chilling out on that one wall.. not sure what the previous homeowners were thinking. My kitchen is just so blah! Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-1328370944-picsay.jpg   Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-1328370909-picsay.jpg   Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-1328370835-picsay.jpg  

Last edited by Luna311; 02-04-2012 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: link didnt work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,174,303 times
Your pics didnt come through.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks.. looks like they are attached now.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,074,580 times
First things first......what style do you like, whats in the rest of the room, any of the other rooms painted? If so, what colors did you use?
That blue counter had GOT to go, and the lighting fixtures are very dated.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 AM

Style wise Im not super picky.. i just want it to look newer and more modern. We dont have the money to replace the cupboards so thats taken into consideration too.... the connected dining room isnt painted yet either. Our living room has a earthtone color to it...like a taupe or dark tan color. We have a earthtone stone fireplace, tancolored carpet & burgandy leather sectional.

The counter is more of a green.. but agreed- it needs to go! we were thinking more along the lines of a dark brown/black colored granite look. We were also thinking some sort of backsplash? I would guess probably more along the lines of a traditional kitchen. Although I do like the idea of a pop of color on one wall. Sorry Im not much help - this is why we are stuck where we are haha.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:36 AM

Have you painted any of the rooms in the house?
I am trying to get a feel for any color palette that may already be there.
Also, in the 2nd pic, what to the right of the fridge?
I cant tell.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,197,042 times
I am a bit confused on the color of the cabinets also. Can you clarify that? The side of the floating cabinet appears to be lighter than what they look like in the other pictures. If they are truly darker, I might consider a lighter counter to brighten the room.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am a bit confused on the color of the cabinets also. Can you clarify that? The side of the floating cabinet appears to be lighter than what they look like in the other pictures. If they are truly darker, I might consider a lighter counter to brighten the room.
The face of those cabinets looks to be the same as the rest of the cabinets.
I'm just wondering what that whole wall looks like.
I'd like to see a better pic of the cabinets, and the floor.
In the pics, the floor looks like it has a lot more yellow, I would like to know exactly what the floor is, vinyl, laminate, or hardwood.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Ok. this is going to be embarassing.. but I'm really looking for some honestly input on which direction to go since we've lived here for 5 years and barely done any updating on the upstairs.
I've attached some more pictures.. PLEASE ignore the mess.. we are in the middle of putting together a nursery so things are a big messy right now. But I wanted to show the ONE room we do have painted.. the livingroom. But even there its just that - paint and new carpet about a year ago. Never got to decorating.

The cabinets are all the same color. On the wall next to the fridge its basically a open wall with cabinets hanging above. Don't know why - lady that lives next door says the previous owners moved them from where that track lighting is above the counter. Not sure what the plan was for below. Also please excuse the blanket hanging next to the fridge.. its january in michigan and it helps keep the cold air from the garage/basement away.

The floors are what I believe is pergo flooring. I don't think it has too much yellow in it - but it may... I'm horrible with colors obviously. And yes.. those stools will eventually go too. just what we got as hand me downs from family when we moved in. AND.. will also need a new dining room table.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions. I'm just at a loss for any sort of direction on this whole decorating thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-house-003.jpg   Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-house-005.jpg   Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-house-007.jpg   Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-house-008.jpg   Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-house-009.jpg  

Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Here are some additional picture of the cupboards and floor.. the verticle picture shows the best coloring I think. It was hard to get a good picture with my camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-house-011.jpg   Kitchen needs updating - ideas??  *pics included*-house-010.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating