Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,242,726 times

Advertisements

Actually...I see many possibilities to make this a very sweet kitchen.

I would put an overhead microwave over your stove. You could do a really nice paint color...I see a Sage green on the walls...But, any nice soft light color would be great. Here's a link to a color selector webpage Virtual Painter

For back splash, which I was looking at this summer....They have the beautiful small square glass tiles, they come on a sheet...my favorite is the multi-color...They reflect light beautifully...This picture doesn't do them justice...back splash tiles - Yahoo! Search Results

Or...if you prefer, copper back splash...Here is a web page for an example...But, I have seen them at Menard's or Lowe's much less expensive.
Or, My personal choice....do the multi-color glass back splash, and the copper ceiling tiles. Again, an example. Shop your home improvement stores for best prices
Image Search Results for copper backsplash ceiling tiles

I would do either a retro linoleum kitchen floor, or a beautiful fake wood...If you installed the wood floor on an angle it might make the room look wider. I would buy your preference in appliances...I'd go ivory, rather than the steel...just to have a flow w/out interruption that the silver causes.

I would shop for those sweet open slat dish holders...Unless you and your hubby are handy, and you can make them w/ dowels and 1"/2" wood. There are some wonderful space saving ideas in many books. That can be challenging and lots of fun.
Here is a link for yet another small space idea website...
Small Kitchen Space Savers | Save Space In Your Kitchen | HouseLogic
One thing I do like about my old house kitchen, is I have glass faced cabinets...two anged, one large. It is surprizing how much they add...I do all white( antique white) dishes, and my bowls and antique kitchen cook books, and utensils add the pops of color thru the glass.
Counter top, again your choice, a bit neutral to sit off the back splash...Also, a smallish ceiling fan looks nice in a kitchen.

Oh...And either an old time open slat door on that pantry door facing your kitchen entrance, (Casa Blanca type)...or a nice mirror treatment, which will reflect back your kitchen surfaces.

Hope these ideas help. This was our hope to redo our kitchen, but unfortunately our family needs help elsewhere. But, I love to live vicariously through other threads, so pictures please no matter what you do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:25 PM

204 posts, read 912,569 times
I agree with most of the advice you've been given: dishwasher drawer, frezer and fridge drawers, microwave/vent over the stove, reflective surfaces, and under cabinet lighting.
The main things to keep in mind with a small space: keep the colors light, the palette limited, glass doors/ shiny sufaces will reflect light, and several different light sources will create depth. Along with the drawers, I would keep a lot of horizontal lines too make the space seem longer. Horizontal cabinets on one wall, subway tile back splashes, and staggered flooring similar to what you have now(different color, though).

Keep the floor plan exactly as is, I think it is perfectly fine, I don't think you'll gain functionality from moving things. Don't move the sink to the back wall, you never want you're back to a doorway. It tends to make people nervous to not be able to see an entry, and less likely to do the task they are trying to accomplish; it's why you never have a desk back to a door either.

Having the appliances in drawers will allow you to have a countertop run the entire length of the kitchen on the right side, which not only will be more functional, but will also visually lead the eye making the space longer. I would accentuate that by adding double stacked horizontal (2 or 3 ft long by 18" high) with ss frames containing frosted glass fronts (Ikea carries something like this). Keep that entire wall the same, you don't want a bunch of different sizes of cabinets in such a small space. The glass fronted cabinets allow you to light the interior as well as underneath the cabinet and frosted glass not only creates an ambient glow when back lit but also helps hide the contents in case you're not a neat freak.

As for the other cabinets, stick with white, or a light maple, or birch. For the appliances in drawers, have them faced with the same material as your cabinets. If you can, go with the 30" stove (you'll be much happier) and micro/vent combo in ss, it will mach trim on cabinet doors I suggested on opposite wall.

For countertops I would do something shiny with in a white or light gray; I think a quart countertop like Zodiaq or Silestone would look awesome. Long, horizontal, tubuular stainless drawer pulls would look great against either white or light maple cabinets. I would definitely do a running bond pattern subway tile as a backsplash. You could do a charcoal slate subway tile to contrast against light cabinets and visually create more depth or a glass subway tile in nautural/opaque would be less contrast, but would reflect light.

For flooring I'd either try to match wood flooring from the rest of the unit and run it length wise or do a charcoal slate 8-12" square in a running bond pattern similar to the current floor. Whatever you do, find the most skilled crew that you can find to do the install, because detail matters in a small space. If the cabinets, countertops, and/or flooring on off by a 1/4 of an inch it will be instantly noticeable in such a small space. Small kitchens can be great; my favorite kitchen I ever had was about 1/3 the size of yours (I think it had been a closet) I could stand in one place and open the fridge, stove, cabinets, and wash my hands in the sink without taking a step.

On another note, if you ever have the time or money and their aren't any physical barriers, I would bump out the wall of the bedroom closet. If you put a new wall even with the bathroom wall (creating a square room) you could make 1 big walk-in closet. The walk-in my studio, has changed my life!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM

204 posts, read 912,569 times
Forgot to mention, with a quartz countertop, you can do an integrated sink. It makes for a seamless 1 piece look, but you could also do a ss undermount sink to play off ss in other parts of the kitchen. Also make sure you have enough outlets put in on each side of the kitchen, so you don't have to pick a specific side to use your kitchen gadgets (blender, food processor, etc) on. I've unfortunately had to work in kitchens with an outlet shortage before.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,366,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If the placement of the walls is accurate, it looks like you can expand the kitchen back into the bedroom closets, and there would still be room to build new closets along the same wall. If you can do that, you'll have wider floor space so you can open things on one side or the other at the same time, and you'll gain room and counter space at the bottom of the U. The other advantage of widening the kitchen is that you could then open up the kitchen wall to the hallway, so it's not a little door going into the kitchen, which would also help make the space feel bigger.
The closets aren't too deep and I've been thinking about it. I am pretty hard-up on space as it is so if I push the closets back and then add the newer closets, my spacious bedroom (for which I just purchased a king-size bed for) becomes pretty small all of a sudden. I guess I am trying to also think in terms of selling in the future---I have no idea how long I will be here and I do not want to overspend on a minimal return. If I knocked out the bedroom closets, I might get 2-3 feet of extra space and I'm not sure that a foot on each side will really give the space it needs to make it worth it. (This is assuming there is nothing between the wall/closets that I have to watch out for anyway.)

I actually stood in the kitchen after the U-shaped suggestion and I'm not sure it will work even with two additional feet of space. If I put a standard range there, I'm having a hard time seeing any access to the cabinets that would then be to the left or to the right of the range. Even if you added a foot on each side, I'm not sure. One day if/when my uncle swings by (he's an engineer, does a lot of structural stuff) I'm going to ask him about it. If this was my "forever" place, I would probably be more willing to spend the money on major structural improvements, but since I'm thinking more in terms of returns, it becomes a little more difficult. Considering how expensive everything is where I live, I don't even want to think about how much knocking down a wall/building new closets/setting up a new kitchen would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Yes to this! Make the kitchen into a long U shape rather then a hallway to nowhere.

I would move the sink to the back wall. This will be your dish washing area and you can hang cabinets on either side of the sink for dishes with a pot rack hung above the sink in the middle. I would center the range on the left wall with a microwave hood on top. If moving the range is easier then moving the sink then just swap range for sink in the above scenarios. The right side would be continuous counter space with an undermount fridge.

Open up the wall between the kitchen and hall!

ETA: Oops, posted before seeing Hopes already suggested this.
I just wanted to mention that the range, more likely than not, may stay where or near where it is right now because there is a ventilation system in the building and the vent is over the place it is right now. Kitchens like these are actually quite the norm here.

Since we're short on cabinet space and since an undermount refrigerator is virtually unheard of here, I probably wouldn't do it. I also shop sales and will buy/refrigerate/freeze a LOT of stuff so I need the space. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Actually...I see many possibilities to make this a very sweet kitchen.

I would put an overhead microwave over your stove. You could do a really nice paint color...I see a Sage green on the walls...But, any nice soft light color would be great. Here's a link to a color selector webpage Virtual Painter

For back splash, which I was looking at this summer....They have the beautiful small square glass tiles, they come on a sheet...my favorite is the multi-color...They reflect light beautifully...This picture doesn't do them justice...back splash tiles - Yahoo! Search Results

Or...if you prefer, copper back splash...Here is a web page for an example...But, I have seen them at Menard's or Lowe's much less expensive.
Or, My personal choice....do the multi-color glass back splash, and the copper ceiling tiles. Again, an example. Shop your home improvement stores for best prices
Image Search Results for copper backsplash ceiling tiles

I would do either a retro linoleum kitchen floor, or a beautiful fake wood...If you installed the wood floor on an angle it might make the room look wider. I would buy your preference in appliances...I'd go ivory, rather than the steel...just to have a flow w/out interruption that the silver causes.

I would shop for those sweet open slat dish holders...Unless you and your hubby are handy, and you can make them w/ dowels and 1"/2" wood. There are some wonderful space saving ideas in many books. That can be challenging and lots of fun.
Here is a link for yet another small space idea website...
Small Kitchen Space Savers | Save Space In Your Kitchen | HouseLogic
One thing I do like about my old house kitchen, is I have glass faced cabinets...two anged, one large. It is surprizing how much they add...I do all white( antique white) dishes, and my bowls and antique kitchen cook books, and utensils add the pops of color thru the glass.
Counter top, again your choice, a bit neutral to sit off the back splash...Also, a smallish ceiling fan looks nice in a kitchen.

Oh...And either an old time open slat door on that pantry door facing your kitchen entrance, (Casa Blanca type)...or a nice mirror treatment, which will reflect back your kitchen surfaces.

Hope these ideas help. This was our hope to redo our kitchen, but unfortunately our family needs help elsewhere. But, I love to live vicariously through other threads, so pictures please no matter what you do
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will probably use every space-saving thing I can possibly implement into the kitchen. I will definitely post pictures when I get around to this project (procrastinators take awhile) so this thread might be brought to life A LONG time from now. I honestly think that the microwave over the stove will be one of the best space-saving things I could do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
I agree with most of the advice you've been given: dishwasher drawer, frezer and fridge drawers, microwave/vent over the stove, reflective surfaces, and under cabinet lighting.
The main things to keep in mind with a small space: keep the colors light, the palette limited, glass doors/ shiny sufaces will reflect light, and several different light sources will create depth. Along with the drawers, I would keep a lot of horizontal lines too make the space seem longer. Horizontal cabinets on one wall, subway tile back splashes, and staggered flooring similar to what you have now(different color, though).

Keep the floor plan exactly as is, I think it is perfectly fine, I don't think you'll gain functionality from moving things. Don't move the sink to the back wall, you never want you're back to a doorway. It tends to make people nervous to not be able to see an entry, and less likely to do the task they are trying to accomplish; it's why you never have a desk back to a door either.

Having the appliances in drawers will allow you to have a countertop run the entire length of the kitchen on the right side, which not only will be more functional, but will also visually lead the eye making the space longer. I would accentuate that by adding double stacked horizontal (2 or 3 ft long by 18" high) with ss frames containing frosted glass fronts (Ikea carries something like this). Keep that entire wall the same, you don't want a bunch of different sizes of cabinets in such a small space. The glass fronted cabinets allow you to light the interior as well as underneath the cabinet and frosted glass not only creates an ambient glow when back lit but also helps hide the contents in case you're not a neat freak.

As for the other cabinets, stick with white, or a light maple, or birch. For the appliances in drawers, have them faced with the same material as your cabinets. If you can, go with the 30" stove (you'll be much happier) and micro/vent combo in ss, it will mach trim on cabinet doors I suggested on opposite wall.

For countertops I would do something shiny with in a white or light gray; I think a quart countertop like Zodiaq or Silestone would look awesome. Long, horizontal, tubuular stainless drawer pulls would look great against either white or light maple cabinets. I would definitely do a running bond pattern subway tile as a backsplash. You could do a charcoal slate subway tile to contrast against light cabinets and visually create more depth or a glass subway tile in nautural/opaque would be less contrast, but would reflect light.

For flooring I'd either try to match wood flooring from the rest of the unit and run it length wise or do a charcoal slate 8-12" square in a running bond pattern similar to the current floor. Whatever you do, find the most skilled crew that you can find to do the install, because detail matters in a small space. If the cabinets, countertops, and/or flooring on off by a 1/4 of an inch it will be instantly noticeable in such a small space. Small kitchens can be great; my favorite kitchen I ever had was about 1/3 the size of yours (I think it had been a closet) I could stand in one place and open the fridge, stove, cabinets, and wash my hands in the sink without taking a step.

On another note, if you ever have the time or money and their aren't any physical barriers, I would bump out the wall of the bedroom closet. If you put a new wall even with the bathroom wall (creating a square room) you could make 1 big walk-in closet. The walk-in my studio, has changed my life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
Forgot to mention, with a quartz countertop, you can do an integrated sink. It makes for a seamless 1 piece look, but you could also do a ss undermount sink to play off ss in other parts of the kitchen. Also make sure you have enough outlets put in on each side of the kitchen, so you don't have to pick a specific side to use your kitchen gadgets (blender, food processor, etc) on. I've unfortunately had to work in kitchens with an outlet shortage before.
Thanks. Everything will definitely be kept on the lighter-side. I know there is a lot of dislike for SS appliances here, but I really, really dislike white. I would probably choose black appliances if I had a choice but they are too dark for this. Outlets are another thing I am going to be thinking about because we do have a lot of little appliances/things that are being kept in the pantry/over the stove right now.

I think the best suggestion made to me in this thread was to wait. My ADD causes me to think of every room at the same time and when I walk into a store to purchase something for one room, I end up looking at everything for every room. I have a hard time focusing and sticking to one thing so I have to keep telling myself that the bedroom is my primary focus right now.

But I am also now considering that leaving the layout mostly alone might be the best suggestion. Based on comps, I definitely do not want to way overspend and go all-out on this project. The more I go in and out of the kitchen, the more I become used to the space. I actually grew up in a HOUSE where the square footage was not much more than what I have in this one-bedroom, so I am used to tiny places. I think avoiding a top-of-the-line kitchen might be smart also, since this may be a starter-place for many people, as it is for my husband and I.

I really want to thank everyone for their suggestions---I haven't ruled out ANYTHING yet---and you have given me a lot to consider. I will definitely provide an update (even if it's two years from now) as to what we plan to do/will do/etc.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 AM

34,110 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I think the best suggestion made to me in this thread was to wait.
But I am also now considering that leaving the layout mostly alone might be the best suggestion.
Ahh, growth! It's such a joy to see.

Quote:
Based on comps, I definitely do not want to way overspend and go all-out on this project.
Which will be hard to do if that includes anything more than absolutely needed (repair level) work.

Your next home, an actual house, is the one where you'll do the renovation...
this apartment is about having "a place in the city" or while you focus on advancing otherwise.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
If you add a foot to either side of the range at the top of the U, you can have corner cabinets on either side of the range.

By widening the floor space, you'll have more room to open things on both sides of the kitchen all the way down.

As it is now, you can't open a cabinet door when you have the dishwasher open, or the refrigerator door with the range door open, etc., etc.

For potential homebuyers when you sell the property, any who won't mind a small kitchen will definitely want it to be truly functional.

Right now, it's not functional.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM

256 posts, read 1,391,158 times
I respectfully disagree with Hopes on widening the kitchen. I can't say that I ever try to open more than one door at a time in my kitchen, except maybe when I am emptying the dishwasher. I certainly see no need to ever have more than one door open at a time. Of course you have to realize I don't allow anyone else in my kitchen when I am working in there. It would be a very different story if I were inclined to cook with an "assistant", lol.

I think you have a one person kitchen and increasing the floor space would be a waste. If there were unused space in front of the closets in your bedroom, I would enclose that space to double the closet space you have in there. I actually think your kitchen has more storage and counter space than I see in many homes.

FYI, the micro/exhausts do not have to vent to the outside. An outside vent is always preferable, but not absolutely necessary. I'm not sure how effective inside vent exhausts are, I just know you can have one.

Given your situation I see only one decision that should be made immediately. You have to get a new range and that decision will affect your microwave purchase and possibly affect your dishwasher status. I'd take care of that issue now and really, once your range/microwave is in place I could live with everything else permanently.

You are right to consider all of the long term options NOW, before you replace that range. Oh and FWIW, I believe I would HATE having my refrigeration in drawers, but that may be an unjustified bias...we cling to what we know, lol.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Ahh, growth! It's such a joy to see.

Which will be hard to do if that includes anything more than absolutely needed (repair level) work.

Your next home, an actual house, is the one where you'll do the renovation...
this apartment is about having "a place in the city" or while you focus on advancing otherwise.

Good luck.
I feel the same way about the bolded. I still plan on updating the kitchen/bathroom but nothing fancy and some of the stuff I can do myself. (By myself I mean my dad.) I stated this earlier but I purchased my property for much less (40K+) than the other one-bedroom units sell for in my building. Right now, I have a general idea for a budget on the bathroom, kitchen and related things.

Quote:
If you add a foot to either side of the range at the top of the U, you can have corner cabinets on either side of the range.

By widening the floor space, you'll have more room to open things on both sides of the kitchen all the way down.

As it is now, you can't open a cabinet door when you have the dishwasher open, or the refrigerator door with the range door open, etc., etc.

For potential homebuyers when you sell the property, any who won't mind a small kitchen will definitely want it to be truly functional.

Right now, it's not functional.
I think I have to disagree with the functionality. Having a tiny kitchen is actually a predicament many people find themselves in around here so I think people are pretty used to it. If I widen the kitchen and put the range in the center, I think you can fit one person in there at a time---less than I can fit now. If I open the range with the U-shape, I do not think I would be able to open half of the cabinets at the same time anyway. But really, I'll have to ask my uncle when he comes by and I'll have to draw some stuff to scale.

I am not sure that widening the floor by two feet is going to have that much of an impact that it is worth the expense. Remember: Resale is important and I think knocking down a wall, knocking down closets, building new closets (which, after looking at it, would be difficult to do with our bedroom door, unless you cut the width of the closets or completely move them) may result in a major loss for me. I can only imagine how much that will cost before I even get started on fixing-up the kitchen. If money was no issue, I'd turn the bathroom into the kitchen and turn the kitchen into the bathroom. ;-) I did just try and I can open the cabinet almost entirely with the dishwasher open. But otherwise, I (like decorchallenged) don't ever have multiple things open at the same time---I always close them as soon as I'm done with them. Habit, I guess.

My kitchen in my old apartment was an EIK and was 3-4x the size of this one and you still couldn't open the cabinets opposite the refrigerator or stove if they were open. And that kitchen still felt huge. I think I am just very accustomed to this layout and seeing people with even less counter space than I have. I think that if I could knock down a wall and get a substantial increase in space I would probably lean more toward the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
I respectfully disagree with Hopes on widening the kitchen. I can't say that I ever try to open more than one door at a time in my kitchen, except maybe when I am emptying the dishwasher. I certainly see no need to ever have more than one door open at a time. Of course you have to realize I don't allow anyone else in my kitchen when I am working in there. It would be a very different story if I were inclined to cook with an "assistant", lol.

I think you have a one person kitchen and increasing the floor space would be a waste. If there were unused space in front of the closets in your bedroom, I would enclose that space to double the closet space you have in there. I actually think your kitchen has more storage and counter space than I see in many homes.

FYI, the micro/exhausts do not have to vent to the outside. An outside vent is always preferable, but not absolutely necessary. I'm not sure how effective inside vent exhausts are, I just know you can have one.

Given your situation I see only one decision that should be made immediately. You have to get a new range and that decision will affect your microwave purchase and possibly affect your dishwasher status. I'd take care of that issue now and really, once your range/microwave is in place I could live with everything else permanently.

You are right to consider all of the long term options NOW, before you replace that range. Oh and FWIW, I believe I would HATE having my refrigeration in drawers, but that may be an unjustified bias...we cling to what we know, lol.
Thanks for the response. My husband and I can actually both fit and work on opposite sides. But I'm not a big fan of cooking and cleaning so if he wants it to be a one person kitchen from which I am banished that is fine by me. It's funny---when we first were getting in here I was thinking there was really no space. But actually, there is a lot of space and we also have the pantry opposite the kitchen door.

I will think about the closet space. Storage is a big thing in my area (most co-ops have additional storage in the basement that people are willing to pay for) but what I am doing to them is still up in the air.

Vents: I do not have any access to the outside---the hallway of the co-op is opposite to the hallway you see in my diagram/pictures. I have no window which is why not only does the stove right now have a vent but the kitchen itself has a vent that goes somewhere into the building.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Hey, I don't live in NYC! I'm used to space! LOL

In that case, I'd invest in under the counter refrigerator and freezer so one side is straight counter space. If you think it feels roomy now, just wait until you have all that counter space on the one side! I wouldn't do the refrigerator/freezer drawers. They'll cost you over 2k and they are tiny. I'd do a side by side under the counter refrigerator and freezer. You'll have more space and you can save money too. You'll lose one under the counter cabinet, but you'll gain an upper cabinet where the full sized fridge was located.

Some have mentioned to do an over the range microwave. I'm not sure they are available in the width of your range. If not, incorporate a microwave shelf in your upper cabinets somewhere.

Since your kitchen is so small, new cabinets, counter and flooring shouldn't cost you very much at all. You'll be able to afford to incorporate some upgraded materials without breaking the bank and it will be more appealing on resale. Try to keep the colors light and neutral. White is just a little too harsh in that small room.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Hey, I don't live in NYC! I'm used to space! LOL

In that case, I'd invest in under the counter refrigerator and freezer so one side is straight counter space. If you think it feels roomy now, just wait until you have all that counter space on the one side! I wouldn't do the refrigerator/freezer drawers. They'll cost you over 2k and they are tiny. I'd do a side by side under the counter refrigerator and freezer. You'll have more space and you can save money too. You'll lose one under the counter cabinet, but you'll gain an upper cabinet where the full sized fridge was located.

Some have mentioned to do an over the range microwave. I'm not sure they are available in the width of your range. If not, incorporate a microwave shelf in your upper cabinets somewhere.

Since your kitchen is so small, new cabinets, counter and flooring shouldn't cost you very much at all. You'll be able to afford to incorporate some upgraded materials without breaking the bank and it will be more appealing on resale. Try to keep the colors light and neutral. White is just a little too harsh in that small room.

It's okay. A lot of people aren't used to the space. And sadly, I can say that I've seen smaller and places with 20" stoves!

After all is said and done, if I can't really move much around, at the very least I think I will change the range to a 30", get the microwave with the vent to put above it and get a slim fit dishwasher that's 18" since I think that's fine. I really love shopping for stuff on sale so buying a tiny under the counter refrigerator/freezer might just kill me---that and the price tag.

I also think white is too harsh in the room. Bah! I hate white. And thankfully the kitchen is small so putting new cabinets/flooring it won't be expensive. Thanks for all your points that have given me some things to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating