Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times

Advertisements

My suggestions -

Leave an open pass-thru on the opposite side of the counter so you dont feel walled in.

Put lazy susans in the inside drawers of the cabinets, and also install pull out shelves in the cabinets so that it is easier to get to the stuff in the back of each drawer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
I'd just go to Ikea.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I think it's perfectly fine for now. Add some color to the walls and accessories. Just because everyone on HGTV thinks they need granite and stainless steel, doesn't mean that is what is necessary in the real world.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Love this thread, and all the suggestions are so interesting. So...this is your next project, OP! Be sure you take before, during and after pictures!

Personally, here's what I'd do:

Leave the layout exactly as it is, but do as you suggested and change the stove to a larger one, with a matching microwave above it. Do as you described with the dishwasher too.

Since this space is so small, you want to go quiet and streamlined in there. I personally think that stainless steel appliances are the "most quiet" and another benefit to them is that they gently reflect light and colors to some extent, so this will soften and yet brighten the room.

I'd pick a paint color that blended well with stainless, which is sort of a neutral anyway. Someone suggested sage green, which IS a really nice color. Be sure if you choose that color that you use WHITE, not yellow lighting in there. And DEFINITELY put in under the counter lighting as well as overhead lighting.

Whatever color you choose for the walls, go one or two shades lighter - of the same color - on the cabinets. I'd definitely go with painted cabinets - wood would be overpowering in there.

You know that I just redid my kitchen so I'm biased, but I really love the combination of gray-green walls and cabinets, translucent white subway tiles for a backsplash, and soapstone countertops. All this looks GREAT with stainless steel and while it's a quiet look, it's a classy look. Paint is cheap, subway tiles aren't expensive at all, and soapstone isn't any more expensive than builder grade granite. As for your flooring, I'd just do a pretty, large tile in there - it's not much floor and you don't want to draw attention to the floor. I'd want it to blend in with the cabinetry as just a quiet neutral.

Since everything else will be so simple and sleek, splurge on a fabulous faucet! There are some gorgeous ones out there and they're not particularly expensive either.

That's my two cents' worth!

Old 11-02-2014, 12:42 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
You are remodeling for yourself, but also for resale sooner rather than later. Leave the floor plan, but switch to the 30 inch range and 18 inch dishwasher. I hate combined microwave hoods, they don't work that well, but it sounds like you do have external venting so that will help. I don't know that you can even get a micro/hood combo in 24 inches, I have only seen 30 inches that I know of. And the extra stove top space is *useful* space for a spoon rest, resting a pot while you are cooking, etc.

Also thinking ahead to resale, go with solid surface counters and stainless appliances. Do not switch out the fridge for undercounter drawers - those are not functional for your sole fridge and freezer space but do get a counter depth fridge. You still lose some space, but you make it up in a cleaner more open looking kitchen with a little more floor space.

Definitely minimalist in terms of adding color and even texture. I think a plain glass subway tile backsplash would look good - not adding a lot more visual noise, but giving some light reflection to help brighten things up. Light and bright is the look you need. I'd try to match the existing hardwood for the floor, as that will help visually expand the space into the hall (even if not functionally! lol!)

Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Love this thread, and all the suggestions are so interesting. So...this is your next project, OP! Be sure you take before, during and after pictures!

Personally, here's what I'd do:

Leave the layout exactly as it is, but do as you suggested and change the stove to a larger one, with a matching microwave above it. Do as you described with the dishwasher too.

Since this space is so small, you want to go quiet and streamlined in there. I personally think that stainless steel appliances are the "most quiet" and another benefit to them is that they gently reflect light and colors to some extent, so this will soften and yet brighten the room.

I'd pick a paint color that blended well with stainless, which is sort of a neutral anyway. Someone suggested sage green, which IS a really nice color. Be sure if you choose that color that you use WHITE, not yellow lighting in there. And DEFINITELY put in under the counter lighting as well as overhead lighting.

Whatever color you choose for the walls, go one or two shades lighter - of the same color - on the cabinets. I'd definitely go with painted cabinets - wood would be overpowering in there.

You know that I just redid my kitchen so I'm biased, but I really love the combination of gray-green walls and cabinets, translucent white subway tiles for a backsplash, and soapstone countertops. All this looks GREAT with stainless steel and while it's a quiet look, it's a classy look. Paint is cheap, subway tiles aren't expensive at all, and soapstone isn't any more expensive than builder grade granite. As for your flooring, I'd just do a pretty, large tile in there - it's not much floor and you don't want to draw attention to the floor. I'd want it to blend in with the cabinetry as just a quiet neutral.

Since everything else will be so simple and sleek, splurge on a fabulous faucet! There are some gorgeous ones out there and they're not particularly expensive either.

That's my two cents' worth!
Funny, this thread was created not too long after I moved into this place and we ended up doing the bathroom first (which was disgusting) but still was put off until almost two years later because I was laid-off right after we put down 25% on this place and bought new crap---like expensive bedroom furniture!

I am definitely getting stainless appliances. I don't really care what anyone says about them because I like them anyway. (I'm a gray fan.) I'm going to get a C/D refrigerator and they have these nice, slim ones that are taller. The only layout change that I will probably do is moving the refrigerator to the door---I hate having it directly behind the stove.

I'm probably not getting light cabinets in there---NOT dark ones but somewhere in the middle on the lighter-side. I have horrible circulation in the apartment so everything gets yuck very fast. I've already decided on quartz countertops, when I get there of course! I really hate the white (laminate) cabinets I have in there now. Blech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You are remodeling for yourself, but also for resale sooner rather than later. Leave the floor plan, but switch to the 30 inch range and 18 inch dishwasher. I hate combined microwave hoods, they don't work that well, but it sounds like you do have external venting so that will help. I don't know that you can even get a micro/hood combo in 24 inches, I have only seen 30 inches that I know of. And the extra stove top space is *useful* space for a spoon rest, resting a pot while you are cooking, etc.

Also thinking ahead to resale, go with solid surface counters and stainless appliances. Do not switch out the fridge for undercounter drawers - those are not functional for your sole fridge and freezer space but do get a counter depth fridge. You still lose some space, but you make it up in a cleaner more open looking kitchen with a little more floor space.

Definitely minimalist in terms of adding color and even texture. I think a plain glass subway tile backsplash would look good - not adding a lot more visual noise, but giving some light reflection to help brighten things up. Light and bright is the look you need. I'd try to match the existing hardwood for the floor, as that will help visually expand the space into the hall (even if not functionally! lol!)
Well, I can't really help having a combined microwave hood. There's really no where to put a microwave without taking up my much-needed counterspace. Switching to an 18" DW would allow for a 30" range, which is why we'll be doing that.

We'll see about the floor. Pretty sure it's original to the building (1950s) but that it had been refinished before we bought it. There are some water damaged floors from a radiator leak from before we moved in by the LR radiator so I would like to see if it's possible to find something similar to what we have now but we'd have to see.

I have no idea when this project will take place. I mean, I'd like it to be sooner than later. But I wanted to wait until the holidays were over and I'm sick of work already from all of the bathroom trouble.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:45 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Some basic dimensions:
-The width is a little over 84"
-The length is approximately 81"

-There is not a lot of space
So, what would you do, if anything?
Man and I thought my galley was tight!

Here's what I'm just now finishing up doing (with similar):
92" wide x 106" on long wall... with 80" for the stove wall.
Only way I can manage it is with the refrigerator outside the grid.
(that's headroom for the stairwell under the refr)
Attached Thumbnails
Updating a Kitchen - What Would You Do?-kitleft.jpg   Updating a Kitchen - What Would You Do?-kitright.jpg   Updating a Kitchen - What Would You Do?-kitrefr.jpg  

Last edited by MrRational; 11-04-2014 at 05:47 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Man and I thought my galley was tight!

Here's what I'm just now finishing up doing (with similar):
92" wide x 106" on long wall... with 80" for the stove wall.
Only way I can manage it is with the refrigerator outside the grid.
(that's headroom for the stairwell under the refr)

Finally, someone else who actually has a small kitchen.

Is your refrigerator staying like that? Elevated? Interesting.

I wish I had a window. It's kind of gloomy without one.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:00 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Finally, someone else who actually has a small kitchen.
I made this remodel SMALLER that what I had before by adding that divider wall at the stove.

The Dining Room that created also has cabinets and tops
and will allow easy access to the less frequently needed/used kitchen stuff.
(pics at bottom)

Quote:
I wish I had a window. It's kind of gloomy without one.
It's a garden window and in pretty good shape.
Yesterday I installed a mini blind and aquarium light there.

That should make a nice effect but I suspect the window will be replaced at some point.
Not enough air movement for my taste.

Quote:
Is your refrigerator staying like that? Elevated? Interesting.
That wasn't my idea... the house came with that to accommodate the stairwell.
I did consider using a wall oven there.

When I first saw it I was unsure but after a week or so the advantage is apparent.
Like bottom freezers it puts the refrigerator section right at best use level.

With the new/larger refr I have now I'm finding that the vertically challenged
find having the step stool nearby very convenient for working the freezer.

Is DesertSun around? He'll be pleased to know I went with the KK cabinets.
I've been as pleased with them as he said I would be.
Nationwide Family-Owned Manufacturer of Kitchen & Bath Cabinetry Since 1937
Attached Thumbnails
Updating a Kitchen - What Would You Do?-dinrmleft.jpg   Updating a Kitchen - What Would You Do?-dinrmright.jpg  

Last edited by MrRational; 11-06-2014 at 05:10 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Quote:
Finally, someone else who actually has a small kitchen...
You started this thread almost 2yrs ago- how's your kitchen? Did you do anything to it; or just the bathroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating