Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,439,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
If Boyle's puck was not deflected, that is not a goal.

Between periods of one of the games last night on Versus, they were showing a replay which demonstrates clearly that the puck was deflected after leaving Boyle's stick...causing it to head straight at the Sharks goal.

The question was then asked, and one I'd like to know the answer to, is why wasn't Nabby alert on the play? I realize he wasn't expecting it..but the kind of goalie capable of leading his team to the Stanley Cup doesn't let that puck in..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:35 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,237,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Between periods of one of the games last night on Versus, they were showing a replay which demonstrates clearly that the puck was deflected after leaving Boyle's stick...causing it to head straight at the Sharks goal.

The question was then asked, and one I'd like to know the answer to, is why wasn't Nabby alert on the play? I realize he wasn't expecting it..but the kind of goalie capable of leading his team to the Stanley Cup doesn't let that puck in..
he was alert on the play - he had his body guarding the near post and was watching the play develop - there was one avalanche player on the boards with 2 shark defenders and there was support coming behind the goal - his job is to be aware of all of this while still maintaining good positioning

his positioning was fine, it was just a crazy fluke that the puck found the one little break between his pads and the post - really a one in a million type play

but that's hockey

the guy had 3 absolutely killer saves in that game and was generally on for it - i'm not going to beat him up over a fluke

Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
he was alert on the play - he had his body guarding the near post and was watching the play develop - there was one avalanche player on the boards with 2 shark defenders and there was support coming behind the goal - his job is to be aware of all of this while still maintaining good positioning

his positioning was fine, it was just a crazy fluke that the puck found the one little break between his pads and the post - really a one in a million type play

but that's hockey

the guy had 3 absolutely killer saves in that game and was generally on for it - i'm not going to beat him up over a fluke

I don't want to blame Nabby for that one goal either, but looking at the replay, he was about a foot away from the near post. He's hugging that post, like he should have been, the puck is stopped.

It was a fluke though. I'm much more concerned with Nabby's continued inconsistent play in the playoffs. For the 3 games in this series, his save % is .884...which is no doubt mostly do to his horrendous performance in game 2 (4 goals on the first 10 shots)..but that's another indication of his inconsistency.

Last year, Nabby was outplayed by Hiller. This year, it's Anderson..it's always something or somebody. What I'd like to know..is when is Nabby going to step up and outplay the other team's goalie?

He was playing well in the first half of the year, but he hasn't looked the same since the Olympics..more specifically since Canada hung all those goals on him.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:21 PM

definitely some inconsistency and I have questions as well

2004 was definitely his best playoff post season and he was a big reason why they did as well as they did - 3 shutouts in 17 games, 1.71 GAA, .935 save percentage .... i'd say he outplayed patrick roy in the 2nd round for sure (allowing 7 goals over 6 games)

i'd say he looked sharp in 2007 and pretty good in 2008 except for an off game

in 2008 kipper and the flames were a pretty tough 1st round matchup - in the games the sharks won he held them to 2, 0, 2 and 3 goals

even in that series against the stars which was a complete travesty I don't blame nabokov, I blame lazy play and an inability to beat turco ..... his regulation goals allowed for that series were 2, 5, 1, 1, 2 and 1

i agree that he's becomming more and more inconsistent as the years go on and that he has struggled since the olympic break

game 2 was far from his shining moment - but he was fine in game 1 and game 3

i don't agree with the versus commentary at all (which isn't suprising) and on a cynical note I wouldn't be surprised to see them defend the canadian defenseman while trashing the russian goalie

anyhow, if they don't go 0-6 on the PP the game doesn't go to OT and we're not having this chat

nabby wasn't an issue in game 1 or 3 and the sharks won game 2 so i'd say he hasn't been the issue this series

Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,824,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post

Nabby learned his lesson. What a impressive win last night! Pavelski is the series MVP.

The only reason Avs won 2 games is because of Blake's skate and then Boyle. They can't win clean.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,824,569 times
Sharks in 7.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,169,267 times
woo that was a close one, go sharks!!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Nabby learned his lesson. What a impressive win last night! Pavelski is the series MVP.

The only reason Avs won 2 games is because of Blake's skate and then Boyle. They can't win clean.

Nabby was solid in game 4. Pavs has saved the series.....but where are Thornton and Marleau?

Between the two, they have 0 goals and 3 assists. That's just not good enough. If the Sharks are going to have a serious playoff run, those two have got to quit the disappearing act.....

Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 AM

thornton is looking decent - but with marleau disapearing and heatley banged up he doesn't have a ton of running mates .... i mean you're not going to have a ton of impact when marleau is fanning on shots, shooting wide or turning the puck over (and i'm a bit marleau fan) and the other forward is torry mitchell (who does a lot of things well - scoring isn't one of them)

pavs has been really good as has clowe (who was killing me in the regular season with all his turnovers) .... a couple guys who I think are having nice series as well and not getting a ton of notice are malhotra and setoguchi

seto has been playing real well after being in a funk to end the season - he had the perfect screen on boyles goal in game 4

Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,388,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
thornton is looking decent - but with marleau disapearing and heatley banged up he doesn't have a ton of running mates .... i mean you're not going to have a ton of impact when marleau is fanning on shots, shooting wide or turning the puck over (and i'm a bit marleau fan) and the other forward is torry mitchell (who does a lot of things well - scoring isn't one of them)

pavs has been really good as has clowe (who was killing me in the regular season with all his turnovers) .... a couple guys who I think are having nice series as well and not getting a ton of notice are malhotra and setoguchi

seto has been playing real well after being in a funk to end the season - he had the perfect screen on boyles goal in game 4
I agree with you about Thornton... I think he has looked pretty good.
Marleau is a different story. I think JR made a point about at least hitting. Maybe I've missed it, but he could throw his weight around some more. Other guys are. I really would like to see Marleau step it up as I was one of the ones hoping he would be on the team this year and not be traded.

Big game tonight... go Sharks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey