Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:22 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times

Advertisements

Ah nuts... Jody Shelley traded to the Rangers.... for a conditional 6th round draft pick in 2011.

I guess Staubitz will be taking on his role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I liked shelley, but the sharks can get a lot of what he does for less salary in the system .... definitely replaceable and this should allow someone from worcester to stay up full time instead of jumping back and forth playing the salary game

Old 02-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I liked shelley, but the sharks can get a lot of what he does for less salary in the system .... definitely replaceable and this should allow someone from worcester to stay up full time instead of jumping back and forth playing the salary game
Point taken.... but he was good at what he did... and I'll miss him. Can't deny what you say though.

Maybe McLaren will get more time....

Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

I'm not sure how I feel about this deal..I don't think anybody currently on the Sharks or in Worcester is anywhere near as tough as Jody...and he was making only $725,000, but it does open up a roster spot.

I was reading that while Shelley had 10 fights this season, three other players..Staubitz, Clowe, and McLaren have had eight each.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:22 AM

McLaren is a big boy, just not seasoned

staubitz is tough and clowe can be a bit as well .... they just aren't as big as jody

also jody seems to be getting less effective with each month and now injuries are starting to come in - these kind of guys don't have unlimited shelf life and I think he's reaching the end of his

i'll definitely miss how he wasn't afraid to square up to the 'stache in anaheim or really anyone else ... i'll also miss his interviews, which were a great juxtaposition of this level headed, analytical, soft spoken guy with missing teeth, offset nose and inflated lips

wish him the best in NY and appreciate all that he brought to the sharks both on the ice and in the community

good guy, but in the business of hockey this is a move that you end up making when you carry so many contracts at the top of your roster

Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM

Shark fans... what are your thoughts on the up coming playoffs?

Colorado will be a fun match up to watch. I've seen a lot of predictions of Sharks in 5 but I'm thinking at least 6 and maybe in 7. The Aves have played the Sharks tough but I don't think they have enough to win the series.

As for the Sharks themselves... Nabby seems to be coming around but I'm still not 100% confident in him. His play lately is encouraging though.

One thing that concerns me and I think has been a problem throughout the year is the lapses in puck control.... turn overs due to lack of concentration or trying to do too much. The other thing that has bothered me is the number of times it appears they could clear the puck out of their zone and they fail to do it.... giving it back to the opponent which invariably seems to turn into a scoring chance. If they can avoid these turn overs and.... get the puck out of their zone consistently when on defense... maybe they'll go deep.

I'm no coach or hockey expert... so I could be way off. These are just some thoughts from a fan.

Let's go Sharks!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 AM

For me it comes down to maintaining defensive assignment, communication and trust amongst teamates and not turning the puck over

they just have mental lapses that bite them - if they maintain that mental edge they will be very hard to beat and should get by colorado pretty easily ..... if not then they'll have their work cut out for them

can't be too fancy with the puck when trying to enter the zone, can't play the puck back to the point when the defenseman has chipped in and the forwards haven't rotated back to cover, can't have 2 guys collapse on the same guy while leaving someone unchecked in front of the net

turnovers, odd man rushes, unable to clear the zone, etc have killed them all season, but even more so post olympics ..... it's an area that they can do better than they have, they just need to do it

Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 PM

183 posts, read 352,141 times
I am hoping the Olympic experience might help them get over the hump. They never play up to expectations in the playoffs, but they also seem to have a knack for running into the buzzsaw team that is getting hot. As much as I hated to see Canada win the gold, having some of the team leaders experience grinding out a gold medal has to be good for something.

I honestly think they will have a little trouble with the Avs. Maybe Sharks in 6. I am of the opinion that not cruising to the no. 1 seed as in years past is an advantage. I think there is some fire there, but we will see. As long as they don't fall into the normal half asleep, tight hockey they usually exhibit in the playoffs, they should be OK. Detroit will be a tough opponent, but they are beatable.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM

disapointing night for sure

nabby looked like the hard luck nabby of old - which was nice

unfortunately there wasn't that much in front of him

some nice flashes, but a whole lot of disappearing

if the sharsk could sustain the pressure they'd blow this series open - instead they put themselves in a position to have freak things happen - how many chances did they have to clear the zone in the last minute, more than enough to make it so a puck is never in the position to find a skate in front of the net

during intermissions and commercials i was flipping to the 'yotes game - was fun watching them battle with so much energy - every shift grinding and desperate

made the sharks maybe even seem to be a little more flat than they were

i don't know - i've loved the past few regular seasons - from MVPs, to goal scoring leaders, to records starts and record finishes, long streaks of putting up 40+ shots .... just some very entertaining hockey

this season all I could focus on was the playoffs though - how would they look in the playoffs

I almost miss the late sutter early ron wilson days when the gritty sharks would battle hard luck and favored teams to raise hell in the playoffs - when scott hannan was taking forsberg off his game instead of completely eliminating patrick marleau

when they'd grind the cycle and just physically take it out of teams ..... sure, it eventually caught up to them - but they weren't expected to be cup contenders and it was always exciting

now the expectations take some of the fun out of it

i also cringe everytime the wallin/huskins pairing gets on the ice

Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM

183 posts, read 352,141 times
I flashed back to the playoffs of last year. It was the same thing, different year. No intensity, making dumb mistakes, getting beat to the puck. Very dissapointing. I'm not giving up. The Avs are a decent team and the Sharks could get back on track, but it looked to familiar to just pass off as a fluke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey