Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:52 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,338,020 times

Advertisements

What could make hockey more spectator friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:09 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,731,584 times
European style hockey.

Bigger ice. Fewer whistles, stoppages of play, pissant penalty calls, and faceoffs. Playoffs that go on and on well into the heat of summer. Stupid boring neverending overtimes.

The one thing the NHL has gone out of its way to ruin--the intimacy and democracy of the stadiums. I believe the Igloo is the last of the old stadiums where tickets were cheap, luxury boxes non existent, and no seat was 3/4 of a mile from the ice?

I hate the new and improved 20,000 seat hockey stadiums with catering and valet service. Where they charge you 50 bucks for the worst seat in the house in the last row half way to the moon.

Meh. I've seen a number of European hockey games and they were all better than the NHL. They've definitely lost me as a fan.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,410 times
I just need a more visible puck....

Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
European style hockey.

Bigger ice. Fewer whistles, stoppages of play, pissant penalty calls, and faceoffs. Playoffs that go on and on well into the heat of summer. Stupid boring neverending overtimes.

The one thing the NHL has gone out of its way to ruin--the intimacy and democracy of the stadiums. I believe the Igloo is the last of the old stadiums where tickets were cheap, luxury boxes non existent, and no seat was 3/4 of a mile from the ice?

I hate the new and improved 20,000 seat hockey stadiums with catering and valet service. Where they charge you 50 bucks for the worst seat in the house in the last row half way to the moon.

Meh. I've seen a number of European hockey games and they were all better than the NHL. They've definitely lost me as a fan.
i think I disagree with about all of this - the xcel center and jobing.com arena are both great hockey venues - not a bad seat in the house

here in phoenix the in game experience is very family friendly - on some nights that $50 would get you behind the goal with a snack in hand

i think as a spectator sport hockey is doing fine

it's TV that remains the issue

for that I think the emergence of HD is key - makes it easier to follow the puck - I also think the angles can be improved to show more of the developing play

the hard part is translating the speed, size and energy of the game into TV

Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,578,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I just need a more visible puck....
Oh, you beat me to it!!!! I was gonna suggest a puck that was bright orange or green and blinked off and on at various intervals... with bright lights embedded in them.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,731,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
the hard part is translating the speed, size and energy of the game into TV
That's kind of my point. Too many bodies on a smaller ice surface significantly reduces speed and energy. Then add all the tedious stoppages of play. If you've watched Olympic hockey you've seen how much more room and speed there is on the bigger ice surface.

I guess I really don't care how well hockey plays on TV, I'm more interested in live games. Or games that show a glimmer of life between whistle calls......

Old 11-04-2008, 06:34 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,763,506 times
There's a HUGE part of me that says, "NOTHING!!! Stop the tinkering!" but I do agree with the bigger ice surface. I've always loved playing on Olympic ice. Whether it would attract more fans or not, I don't know but the extra space is excellent.

Aside from that, let's leave it alone for a few years.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,338,020 times
how much bigger is euro ice?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Oh, you beat me to it!!!! I was gonna suggest a puck that was bright orange or green and blinked off and on at various intervals... with bright lights embedded in them.
They experimented with that several years back. It was a big flop as was the idea.

I say just leave hockey alone, its perfect (minus some penalties ie instigator rule). The UC has perfect seats, not too expensive, etc.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:12 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,763,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
how much bigger is euro ice?
Olympic ice is about 4m wider. Doesn't seem like much until you skate on it for 60 minutes.

Ice hockey rink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey