Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:41 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,668,426 times

Advertisements

Four pages of posts, and no one has mentioned increased scoring. Yet that's what the NHL keeps focusing on. Maybe the NHL should be listening to its fans!

Hockey seemed to be on a major upswing until the lockout, and it never seemed to recover. People joke that the Sean Avery incident is the first time they've even heard of the NHL in years! That's just sad.

I don't know what the league could do. Maybe hockey will always just be a niche sport. The only thing I can think of is to contract a bunch of teams and restrict hockey to the strongest markets. The level of talent would go up, since there would be fewer roster spots to fill. Maybe seeing better players on fewer teams would generate interest.

I'm always intrigued by the "can't follow the puck" complaints. It's funny -- when I watch a game, the puck usually ends up being the only thing I watch, to the point where I'll miss something else happening on the play! I guess I must be in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,652,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Four pages of posts, and no one has mentioned increased scoring. Yet that's what the NHL keeps focusing on. Maybe the NHL should be listening to its fans!

Hockey seemed to be on a major upswing until the lockout, and it never seemed to recover. People joke that the Sean Avery incident is the first time they've even heard of the NHL in years! That's just sad.

I don't know what the league could do. Maybe hockey will always just be a niche sport. The only thing I can think of is to contract a bunch of teams and restrict hockey to the strongest markets. The level of talent would go up, since there would be fewer roster spots to fill. Maybe seeing better players on fewer teams would generate interest.

I'm always intrigued by the "can't follow the puck" complaints. It's funny -- when I watch a game, the puck usually ends up being the only thing I watch, to the point where I'll miss something else happening on the play! I guess I must be in the minority.
LOL at the "seeing the puck" comment. I have heard that one lots of times. I don't always see it, but after watching for a while you just know where it is. It's not necessary to see it ALWAYS!

It is sad that it takes a clown like Avery to get some people interested in the sport. I still think the NHL has much better fans than the NBA. Look at most NBA games on TV. You'll see the stadium half empty!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:22 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,067,294 times
Repeating some suggestions:
Larger ice - good idea w/ the 4m increase
Tickets that are affordable - use to be able a group of 4 get in for <100, have change for beer, parking, etc.
Prices of vittles & drinks that are affordable [4 bucks for a hot dog?!?!? ]
Bring back the old historic names of the divisions & conferences: Prince of Wales Conference, Clarence Cambell Conference; Patrick, Adams, Smyth, Norris Divisions
Have more games where rivalries are strong.
Build some strong rivalries.

A comparison: SI.com - NHL - Are you old school or new wave on these NHL issues? - Thursday January 18, 2007 1:55PM

Lastly, while the new arenas are enjoyable, I do miss, terribly so, the old barns... had heart, passion, feeling, energy, personality - take the ol' Checkerdome over Savvis Center - that was a place for hockey

Old 12-21-2008, 09:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,361,589 times
If you can't figure out where the puck is by watching the players on the ice, you're an idiot and I don't want you to like the same things that I do.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,345,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Repeating some suggestions:
Larger ice - good idea w/ the 4m increase
Tickets that are affordable - use to be able a group of 4 get in for <100, have change for beer, parking, etc.
Prices of vittles & drinks that are affordable [4 bucks for a hot dog?!?!? ]
Bring back the old historic names of the divisions & conferences: Prince of Wales Conference, Clarence Cambell Conference; Patrick, Adams, Smyth, Norris Divisions
Have more games where rivalries are strong.
Build some strong rivalries.

A comparison: SI.com - NHL - Are you old school or new wave on these NHL issues? - Thursday January 18, 2007 1:55PM

Lastly, while the new arenas are enjoyable, I do miss, terribly so, the old barns... had heart, passion, feeling, energy, personality - take the ol' Checkerdome over Savvis Center - that was a place for hockey
Spot on post I prefer the old Capital Centre to watch Caps games over Verizon anyday. Parking was easy, traffic light, tickets were affordable, plus they had "The Big John" which was a bathroom with about 50 urinals and 10 stalls. The building itself was fugly from the outside, but it was a great atmosphere on the inside.

Verizon is just another copycat downtown arena with overpriced food, overpriced tickets, poor sound quality, most of all you get the wine and cheese crowd which are not true hockey fans but downtown professionals who know nothing about hockey.

RBC down in Raleigh is a great arena for hockey. I've enjoyed dozens of games down there; unfortunately, I moved back to DC when the Canes won the Cup.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 AM

8,805 posts, read 10,258,386 times
regarding the divisonal names, I think that would be cool. Some of the geographical names just dont fit. Like Dallas in the pacific

Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,578,599 times
Sex sells so how about female goalies without pads!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:37 PM

317 posts, read 536,123 times
bigger ice? nah... leave the game itself alone... just add cheerleaders!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:21 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,357,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Sex sells so how about female goalies without pads!
Geez and here I thought having the players dressed in Chippendale style thongs were generate new fans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey