Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 PM

11,290 posts, read 11,059,747 times

Advertisements

A little bit of a rant here.

So, since ESPN has virtually abandoned hockey in its entirety, NBC has picked up all the games. That's cool with me. Screw ESPN.

There are 4 channels that promote hockey now. They are NBC, CNBC, NBCS, and the NHL Network.

My issue is this. I have Dish Network. I get NBC, CNBC, and the NHL Network. It's cool. What's not cool is that roughly 75% of the games in the playoffs are on the one channel that is not included with the regular packages, which is NBC Sports (NBCS). For this, we have to upgrade to a $70 package. The $50 package we currently have is not good enough.

Take tonight for example. Both the NJ/Phili game and the L.A./St.Louis game are both on NBCS, even though they are going to overlap here in 20 minutes. Why can't one of these games be on NHL Network or one of the other two channels? These are the playoffs for heavens sake. Why can't NHL Network live up to its name? Instead, they keep looping NHL on the Fly instead of showing games. Total BS and nonsense if I may say so.

Why are virtually all the games on the one channel out of the four that require a high end programming package? This is rediculous. Come playoff time, none of the other three major sports do this to their fans. Imagine if the NBA did this to their fans. There would be unrest in all major urban areas. Do they just assume that all hockey fans are white, so they must be able to afford the second most expensive package Dish Network has to offer. I can see this during the regular season, but the PLAYOFFS?

I'm a man of principle. I've tried to avoid making this upgrade because I think it sucks to have to do so. I gave in tonight. I went against my nature. I was desperate to watch my boys play.

Does this programming crap irritate anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,855,151 times
Yes! This is the first year that I have that channel. I'm enjoying it, but I have not forgotten about all the games I missed in the past. The solution is to watch streams online. They're probably illegal, but I've been doing it for several years until now. I see that the site is still available.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,988,282 times
Man I don't have the NHL Network or NBCSC so I pretty much follow my hockey on the computer. It's very depressing.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,815,941 times
I think it's all about broadcasting rights. I'm fortunate to get all the channels on Comcast, but I would feel the same way if I didn't.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Man I don't have the NHL Network or NBCSC so I pretty much follow my hockey on the computer. It's very depressing.
That does suck for sure. Sadly, it shouldn't be like that. If you have dish network, you can get the sports package which gives you the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB channels for $9 more a month. That I can do, but $20 more just to get NBCS (which shows most of the playoff hockey games) just blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
I think it's all about broadcasting rights
Like I said. It's all BS. Contract lawyers and $$$. Fans of other sports don't have to deal with this crap (unless they're into another niche sport like soccer).

Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,956,862 times
Thats the old Versus channel right? They had the rights to the NHL. I thought NHL network should have more games too.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,855,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Thats the old Versus channel right? They had the rights to the NHL. I thought NHL network should have more games too.
Used to be Versus, which used to be the Outdoor Life Network.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,815,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Used to be Versus, which used to be the Outdoor Life Network.
That's right. I completely forgot about OLN. So many name changes, reminds me of banks the past several years.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,988,282 times
Well I officially moved and got rid of DirecTV and got ATT Uverse. The good news is they have the NBC Sports network so I will be enjoying some great playoff hockey action.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well I officially moved and got rid of DirecTV and got ATT Uverse. The good news is they have the NBC Sports network so I will be enjoying some great playoff hockey action.
Is NBC Sports on a regular package with them, or do you have to get one of the more expensive packages to receive it? On Dish Network, NBCS is only on the two highest priced packages of the six they offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey