Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 PM

2,952 posts, read 5,208,152 times

Advertisements

In Boston, NBCSN is on the basic tier! In fact, I have Comcast which is a part of NBC, right? So, NBCSN has two spots, believe it or not: one on channel 40, the other channel 65. Now 40 is excellent placement. FOXNews is 41, CNN 42, NESN 51, Comcast Sports New England (Celtics) 52, ESPN 49, ESPN2 50, TBS and TNT in the low 30s.

In other words, it's easy to find in Comcast's Boston area. Even when it was OLN and Versus.

I realize it's been harder to find AND on another more expensive tier in some markets...but most? Still?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,961,277 times
Comcast is a network separate from NBC. They have no hockey coverage where I live, where VS did.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:33 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,460,242 times
I feel sorry for American hockey fans.

In Canada, the NHL is on regular cable service, in every market, across the country. Add American League games, and Quebec and Ontario junior league TV games, The Western Hockey League, and local games down to the AAA Midget level. Even people who live in our far Arctic get better NHL coverage than most Americans do. Sat dishes are found in every small northern Canadian town.

Saturday night, during the regular season, Canadian hockey fans have CBC's Hockey Night In Canada, with three games in a row, starting with the Eastern time zone game ( either Toronto or Montreal or Ottawa at home ) at 7pm eastern. Then the Midwest game at 10 pm eastern ( Winnipeg, Calgary or Edmonton at home ), and the "Late game " ( Vancouver at home ) at midnight eastern time.

By the way, CBC first started broadcasting NHL games on TV, in 1953, the first year that TV national broadcasting began here. HNIC is the longest running TV show in the world. CBC radio coverage of the NHL goes back to 1933.

We get five to six hours of live TV coverage, every Saturday night, all season long. Then when the playoffs start, it is a game every night, with CBC covering all of the series, with their own on air broadcast crew, and their own camera crews and "the guys in the truck ". Most of the CBC hockey coverage camera operators have been covering hockey for 20 years , or more. It shows in the way the game is covered and dissected , and instant replays are on in 15 seconds. Did you know that CBC sports was the originator of the concept of "slow motion replays " ?

To say that Hockey in Canada is close to being our "national religion " is not far off reality. When Canada played for the Men's Hockey Gold Medal at the 2012 Winter Olympics, in Vancouver, about 75 percent of the population was watching that game. Just about as many watched the Women's Gold Medal game, too.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:42 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,860,216 times
I see every hockey game I want online. I won't post where, but it has worked for several years now.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:47 PM

3,542 posts, read 3,744,238 times
It's unfortunate. Hockey gets no love here. If it was a baseball game, you bet the TV networks would go on and on about coverage of even the basic regular season game. I wonder why the NHL and other major leagues do this with their TV schedule. Before cable TV became more prevalent, you used to regularly see games on local TV. Hockey is barely shown anymore. Can anyone explain to me how this is good for promotion? If it's never on? I guess it works, because they've been doing it for years and they're still in business. Or the TV networks make more money off their reality shows.

Thinking there was a way around the blackout restrictions, and since I didn't want to buy cable, I bought the NHL Network package from the NHL themselves. Only to find out any games that were played locally were blacked out; it only allowed me to watch road games. How is this good for the sport? Makes no sense. I cancelled that subscription after one season.

Tonight is game 4 of the Stanley Cup, and it's going to be on NBCSN, not regular NBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I see every hockey game I want online. I won't post where, but it has worked for several years now.
^^ ...when they leave you no recourse.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:19 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,943,123 times
Pretty disgraceful that Games 3-4 of the Stanley Cup finals are scheduled to be on a cable network station. Are you telling me that NBC has "can't miss" programming on its evening schedule during the summer??

The NHL shoots itself in the foot...again.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:22 PM

11,302 posts, read 11,064,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Pretty disgraceful that Games 3-4 of the Stanley Cup finals are scheduled to be on a cable network station.
A higher end cable network station. Platinum package type sh*t. Imagine if 80% of the NBA playoffs were on a premium cable network, much less any of the finals. There would be rioting in the streets. Enough said!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 PM

709 posts, read 957,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
A higher end cable network station. Platinum package type sh*t. Imagine if 80% of the NBA playoffs were on a premium cable network, much less any of the finals. There would be rioting in the streets. Enough said!
Why? Do people actually watch NBA basketball?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,943,123 times
There is nothing, NOTHING, more exciting than NHL playoff hockey. And yet, in a difficult economic time for many Americans, the NHL insists on broadcasting its most important games on an expensive cable channel, instead of embracing the democratic spirit and putting it on a channel that EVERYONE gets.

I didn't know that the NHL was elitist, but I do know that is has a masochistic streak a mile wide..

Old 06-12-2014, 08:39 PM

8,807 posts, read 10,263,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Pretty disgraceful that Games 3-4 of the Stanley Cup finals are scheduled to be on a cable network station. Are you telling me that NBC has "can't miss" programming on its evening schedule during the summer??

The NHL shoots itself in the foot...again.
It's incredibly mind-boggling and frustrating that they do this. They (the NHL) IMO were really lucky last night the Rangers won; There was a chance for the Kings to lift the Cup last night and it would have been seen on a premium cable channel that a lot of people do not get. I can only imagine the ridicule that would have followed had the Kings indeed won last night, would have been even worse if they had won in OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey