Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:14 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,990,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Is NBC Sports on a regular package with them, or do you have to get one of the more expensive packages to receive it? On Dish Network, NBCS is only on the two highest priced packages of the six they offer.
To bundle my internet and TV with AT&T I pay 70 bucks. If you get the U200 package you get all the ESPN channels, your local FSN channels, Fox Soccer, and NBCS. It's nice I have free DVR and On Demand services. I liked DirecTV so I was hesitant to change but I'm glad I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 AM

11,314 posts, read 11,076,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
To bundle my internet and TV with AT&T I pay 70 bucks. If you get the U200 package you get all the ESPN channels, your local FSN channels, Fox Soccer, and NBCS. It's nice I have free DVR and On Demand services. I liked DirecTV so I was hesitant to change but I'm glad I did.
Thank you Sir. I'm gonna look into that since we have AT&T cell phones. Our area is real funky and limited with internet connection. Does the Fox Sports channel include Fox Sports West, or is that a seperate pay channel? FSW shows all the Pacific coast sports.

We pay $70 for just the Dish package without internet. This area sucks in several ways. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,990,800 times
Quote:
Thank you Sir. I'm gonna look into that since we have AT&T cell phones. Our area is real funky and limited with internet connection. Does the Fox Sports channel include Fox Sports West, or is that a seperate pay channel? FSW shows all the Pacific coast sports.

We pay $70 for just the Dish package without internet. This area sucks in several ways. Thanks for the tip.
You'll get your local Fox Sports affiliate. For instances, I get Sportsouth and Fox Sports South.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 AM

3,754 posts, read 2,585,700 times
Quote:
A little bit of a rant here..since ESPN has virtually abandoned hockey in its entirety, NBC has picked up all the games. That's cool with me. Screw ESPN...
Does this programming crap irritate anyone else?
Ditch, Sorry about your issue with Dish (I've been lucky, my basic cable has all of the NBC affiliates.) But I concur with your assessment of ESPN. Hockey coverage has basically vanished there.. To be honest, @ this point, ESPN seems more like a sports-gossip network than anything else.. which I don't think is inherently wrong, but I personally wanna see live games.. not hear recurring 24 hour coverage of Tiger Woods & Donald Sterling's personal lives.

NBC's current NHL coverage is killer, between their network family they're giving the Stanley Cup unprecedented coverage (first network to televise every playoff game).. good stuff.
peace

Old 05-08-2014, 10:07 AM

11,314 posts, read 11,076,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Ditch, Sorry about your issue with Dish (I've been lucky, my basic cable has all of the NBC affiliates.) But I concur with your assessment of ESPN. Hockey coverage has basically vanished there.. To be honest, @ this point, ESPN seems more like a sports-gossip network than anything else.. which I don't think is inherently wrong, but I personally wanna see live games.. not hear recurring 24 hour coverage of Tiger Woods & Donald Sterling's personal lives.

NBC's current NHL coverage is killer, between their network family they're giving the Stanley Cup unprecedented coverage (first network to televise every playoff game).. good stuff.
peace
Yes, NBC has really stepped up to the plate with the NHL coverage. Kudos to them.

Eventually, ESPN will become one of those channels that people flip to when there is nothing else good to watch on, or just if they want some type of background noise on in the house. They'll become to sports what MTV became to music (absolutely irrelevant). As long as the $$$ is still rolling in they don't care.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 AM

711 posts, read 957,475 times
Agree about espn . Although I would never put them on for background noise because they are so annoying.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,606,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
Agree about espn . Although I would never put them on for background noise because they are so annoying.
You're telling me you don't like all day access to Lebron and Manziel?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,009,958 times
ESPN's coverage is reflective of what people watch. It's a reality to contend with. I remember when ESPN would air poker instead of Champion's League soccer. At that time more people were willing to watch a guy in sunglasses and a cowboy hat play poker instead of a sport.

Outside of the major hockey markets a lot of people simply don't care. The turn into a sports gossip station didn't help either.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:15 AM

711 posts, read 957,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
ESPN's coverage is reflective of what people watch. It's a reality to contend with. I remember when ESPN would air poker instead of Champion's League soccer. At that time more people were willing to watch a guy in sunglasses and a cowboy hat play poker instead of a sport.

Outside of the major hockey markets a lot of people simply don't care. The turn into a sports gossip station didn't help either.
While I agree about the sports gossip part, I feel ESPN coverage is geared more to sports that their parent company covers. It's like a long advertisement.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:18 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,009,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
While I agree about the sports gossip part, I feel ESPN coverage is geared more to sports that their parent company covers. It's like a long advertisement.
That is definitely a valid criticism. Keep the ratings in house as much as possible. Actually, the coverage soccer on ESPN blew up after ABC began to make financial investments. I recall seeing a highlight from Euro '04. The clip on the top ten plays on SportsCenter showed a David Beckham free kick that was a work of beauty. The anchors however only mispronounced the names of other players featured in the game and talked about the color of the ball. It was a joke. Now that NBC is invested...the coverage is different.

That said, though, it does make wise business sense. I would prefer, however, they cover all of the main sports in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey