Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times

Advertisements

I like the olympic sheet as well and would not be opposed - but all in all the game is pretty exciting when you go to it

i know they are trying to bring back a version of the "glow puck" - used mainly on replays to highlight defelections, pucks hitting the bars, pucks being played with high sticks, etc

like it or not TV is the lifeblood for major sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 01:07 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Now that fighting and violence are more under control, the main thing I would change is what some others have said: move to a European/Olympic ice size.

I’ve never had any trouble seeing the puck, although I’ve been watching hockey since I was a little boy. I do have some trouble following the baseball in a large stadium, however, so maybe it’s just conditioning.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,475 times
Do they have rough house hockey in Europe?

Like is there a lot of checking, and roughing people up, or is it more friendly atmosphere there

also does 4 meters really make a difference?

Then why not just expand it even further like 10 meters?

Old 11-05-2008, 04:07 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,322,791 times
Bring back old time hockey,get rid of the instigator and the shootout´s,make the game cheaper so people can afford to go to the games.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:12 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,322,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post

Like is there a lot of checking, and roughing people up, or is it more friendly atmosphere there
The UK allows fighting to some extent.
I think all teams has at least one canadian enforcer.
The difference is that they get more ice time and gets to play some hockey too.
There are some in Germany too.
Many teams in Sweden has someone that takes care of the rough stuff,but none are considered fighters.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post

also does 4 meters really make a difference?

Then why not just expand it even further like 10 meters?
I think the 4 meters makes a difference. If you've ever happened to watch a pickup session without enough skaters playing 4 aside, you see how much more time everyone gets to skate with the puck. Even at novice levels the pace picks up because you don't get so many instances of groups clumping up around the loose puck. 10 meters is a bit extreme, imo.

However, the ice surface in the NHL will probably never be expanded because that will reduce the number of seats available to sell.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I think the 4 meters makes a difference. If you've ever happened to watch a pickup session without enough skaters playing 4 aside, you see how much more time everyone gets to skate with the puck. Even at novice levels the pace picks up because you don't get so many instances of groups clumping up around the loose puck. 10 meters is a bit extreme, imo.
Consider that 4 metres is at least a dozen feet, so it does free up a lot of space on the ice. Basically, as this poster said, it is similar to when you have a 4-on-4 on an NHL-sized rink.

Regarding 10 metres, that's 33 feet more, so you'd be increasing the width of the current 100-ft wide NHL rink by a third, which would be way too much.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:46 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i think I disagree with about all of this
same here. TV is the biggest issue.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:42 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I like the olympic sheet as well and would not be opposed - but all in all the game is pretty exciting when you go to it

i know they are trying to bring back a version of the "glow puck" - used mainly on replays to highlight defelections, pucks hitting the bars, pucks being played with high sticks, etc

like it or not TV is the lifeblood for major sports
As much as I hated the glow puck, I wouldn't be opposed to it on replays. I think that might be a good idea.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Bring back old time hockey,get rid of the instigator and the shootout´s,make the game cheaper so people can afford to go to the games.

I agree about making the games more affordable, but I think the shootout is a really good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey