Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,771,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Since when is Denver considered to be in the Sun Belt?
It is a sunny city on average, and it's fast-growing too, so if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

I included them because I didn't want anybody saying that I omitted them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 04:14 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,940,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I just got done with an analysis of average attendance in most NHL markets, measured as a percentage of arena capacity Here's how the "Original Six" compare to each other:
Largely, I think that analysis aligns with my post. However, I would question your percentage of capacity usage, as it doesn't necessarily take into account recent arena size changes - in particular, did you take into account the recent relocation of both Toronto(99-00) and Montreal (96-97) to arenas seating 3-4,000 more fans than previous arenas? It would appear at first glance that near sellouts preceded and followed expansion.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM

11,379 posts, read 9,296,826 times
The Washington Capitals have sold out every game for 3+ seasons. It's not fair to leave them out as a mention.

I should add that I have also attended games this season in San Jose, Los Angeles, and Raleigh and none of those arena's are as loud as The Verizon Center is. It's not even close.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,155,993 times
Across the 4 professional sports leagues, i'd give it to the NFL first. Then it might be a team by team thing based on each sport. I'm a Steeler fan in football and a Yankee fan in baseball. Both have tremendously loyal fans whether they win or lose. I hate to say it but the Red Sox also are like that as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:55 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,994,416 times
Depends on the type of market! Sunbelt fans tend not to be as loyal as their northern counterparts, let alone those in Canada!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,933,812 times
We have to be a little careful with the "Original 6" statements; prior to last season, there were often several thousand empty seats at the TDGarden in Boston for Bruins games, and several years ago I attended a late-season Blackhawk game in Chicago, and virtually the entire balcony ( and much of the level below) was completely empty..

Don't assume that "original 6" means "sellout", all the time..

Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,985,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
We have to be a little careful with the "Original 6" statements; prior to last season, there were often several thousand empty seats at the TDGarden in Boston for Bruins games, and several years ago I attended a late-season Blackhawk game in Chicago, and virtually the entire balcony ( and much of the level below) was completely empty..

Also non Original Six teams sell out. For instance my team, the Wild, sells out all the time. Then again Minnesota loves it some hockey, but regardless they haven't made the playoffs in 4 years and they still sell out.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:12 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,771,699 times
Quote:

I know it doesn't, and my research illustrated that. I was just trying to make a point because I was getting really sick and tired of a) being labeled a bandwagoner simply for being a Penguins fan, and b) having the Penguins' bankruptcy in 1998 and relocation threat in 2007 blamed on a lack of fan support when it was bad financial decisions by prior ownership and an obsolete arena, respectively, that caused the problems. Common knowledge about the Penguins is very common, often permeating all other fan bases, but it sure as **** ain't real knowledge, and I've reached my wit's end with it. Anybody who thinks that the Penguins' problems in between their Stanley Cup eras had anything to do with a lack of fan support is ignorant, plain and simple.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,860,795 times
Quote:

Yep. Went to a few BRuins games when they were cellar dwellers not too many years ago - if there were more than 4-5,000 at those games, I'd be surprised.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,940,662 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Yep. Went to a few BRuins games when they were cellar dwellers not too many years ago - if there were more than 4-5,000 at those games, I'd be surprised.
My Original six statement was made a little bit off the cuff, and it's true that a couple have struggled a little bit with attendance, though I'd argue that they still have a more dedicated fanbase than a lot of the sun belt teams.

From what I can tell of the Bruins, it doesn't look like actual sales dropped much below 14,000/game for the past 30 years or so. Of course, that doesn't mean that every ticket sold means somebody shows up. Yearly attendance for the Boston Bruins of the NHL at hockeydb.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey