Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:28 PM

416 posts, read 1,090,895 times

Advertisements

Suggestion:
Please add anything creative, funny or any tradition that you have seen or were impressed with.
Please re-rank them according to your opinion. if you dont like one, please dont delete it, . . . just move it to LAST
Please name the City/team, and even the year, if it was in the past and not continued.

1-Paul Lorieau singing only the first 3 words of O Canada, and then letting the fans LOUDLY belt out the remainder of the entire song, INCLUDING Joey Moss singing his heart out (2006 Edmonton Oilers playoff run to the finals.)

2-Tossing plastic mice onto the ice EACH time they scored. (1996 Florida Panthers playoff run to the finals. The league banned it since.)

3-Tossing Octopus onto the ice (Detroit, forever)

4-The Terrible Towel/Towel Power. (1982 Roger Neilson, coach of Vancouver tired of the unfair calls against in the semi-final, against Chicago. He waved the trainers towel on a hockey stick, to symbolize waving the white flag. He was EJECTED from the game. At the next game, Canucks fans waved THOUSANDS of white towels. NOW a playoff tradition that continues to this day and that is widely copied by other hockey teams.)

5-Tossing Catfish onto the Ice. (2011 Nashville Predators)

6-Green Men (Vancouver 2011)

7-Teddy Bear Toss (annual, Calgary Hitmen, Portland Winter Hawks, Lethbridge Hurricanes)

8-Booing for Chris Pronger (every team in the league, every game)

9-The Playoff Beard (fans and players)

Please give us a # 10. I cant think of any more

Please look any of these up on youtube or any other similar site, and be amazed.

PLEASE DONT USE THIS TO ANTAGONIZE, . . . BUT RATHER HAVE FUN WITH IT, AND SHOW US SOMETHING NEW ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,432,258 times
1-Paul Lorieau singing only the first 3 words of O Canada, and then letting the fans LOUDLY belt out the remainder of the entire song, INCLUDING Joey Moss singing his heart out (2006 Edmonton Oilers playoff run to the finals.)

2- Kate Smith singing 'God Bless America' at the start of Flyers playoff games (1969)
In 1969 a recording of Kate Smith singing 'God Bless America' replaced the playing of 'The Star Spangled Banner' at the start of the Philadelphia Flyers playoff games. To date the Flyers have 94-26-4 record whenever 'God Bless America' is played or performed before a game.

3- Hat Toss for Hat Tricks (1950's)
Tossing hats onto the ice after a player scores the third goal of a hat trick.

4-The Playoff Beard (fans and players)
Originally started because hockey players had so many stitches on their faces as a result of injury during playoff games that it became impossible for them to shave.

5- Painting Goalie Masks (1960's to present day)
Starting with Bruins Goalie Gerry Cheevers stitch mark pattern on his mask (stitches to mark where a puck hit would have required stitches).

6-Tossing Octopus onto the ice (Detroit, 1952)
Started in April 1952 by a couple of brothers who wanted to advertise their fish market. After the first octopus was thrown onto the ice the Red Wings swept both the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens to take the Stanley Cup (an 8-0 record).

7-The Terrible Towel/Towel Power. (1982)
Roger Neilson, coach of Vancouver tired of the unfair calls against in the semi-final, against Chicago. He waved the trainers towel on a hockey stick, to symbolize waving the white flag. He was EJECTED from the game. At the next game, Canucks fans waved THOUSANDS of white towels. NOW a playoff tradition that continues to this day and that is widely copied by other hockey teams.

8- Chicago Blackhawks fans loudly applauding and cheering when the National Anthem is played. (1985)
First begun at the start of a playoff game against the Edmonton Oilers.

9-Tossing plastic mice onto the ice EACH time they scored. (1996) Florida Panthers playoff run to the finals. Inspired by the Octopus and by Scott Melany killing a rat with his hockey stick in the Florida Panthers locker room. The league banned it since, due to the vast quantities of toy mice thrown and the resultant delay of game.

10-Tossing Catfish onto the Ice. (2011 Nashville Predators)
This traditional actually started in 2003 during a playoff with the Detroit Red Wings.

997-Booing for Chris Pronger (every team in the league, every game)

998-Teddy Bear Toss (annual, Calgary Hitmen, Portland Winter Hawks, Lethbridge Hurricanes)
Never heard of this one before today.

999-Green Men (Vancouver 2011)
I didn't know anything about this 'tradition' before today.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
the Teddy Bear Toss is a cool charity thing to do - but not really a strong tradition

I think the #1 tradition has to be the teams lining up to skate & shake hands at the end of a series .... no matter how it stings, how much you fought and bled throughout the series - at that point it's over .... one of those neat hockey things and hockey players are just a different breed

I would throw #2 being the tradition of the cup (you could easily put this #1 as well) - not only the engraving, but players getting to spend time with the cup .... uber cool

The White Out - co-opted across all sport now, never really successful in it's history and something I wish the Coyotes would completely drop ..... but still deserves a spot on the list

I have the playoff beard up there as well

I personally hate the blackhawks butchering of the anthem

Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM

41,990 posts, read 75,271,349 times
You can't top the Detroit octopi. No way, no how. That little tradition is in a class by itself.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,432,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I think the #1 tradition has to be the teams lining up to skate & shake hands at the end of a series .... no matter how it stings, how much you fought and bled throughout the series - at that point it's over .... one of those neat hockey things and hockey players are just a different breed.

I would throw #2 being the tradition of the cup (you could easily put this #1 as well) - not only the engraving, but players getting to spend time with the cup .... uber cool
I agree...#1 and #2 traditions...wish that I had remembered to include them in my list.

I'd add in a #3 tradition (or maybe another part of #2) - skating around the rink with the Cup; started by Ted Lindsay in the 1950's.

Quote:
The White Out - co-opted across all sport now, never really successful in it's history and something I wish the Coyotes would completely drop ..... but still deserves a spot on the list
I've read that the opposing players when they initially view the Winnipeg White-Out from the ice surface find it rather...unique.

Quote:
I could live without it myself...it's sort of like the 'Ole' song that the Montreal Canadiens fans sing.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

I've read that the opposing players when they initially view the Winnipeg White-Out from the ice surface find it rather...unique.
I've heard Grant Fuhr talk about it as someone who dealt with it both in Winnipeg & Phoenix with success (4-0)

The last one was in a game 7 where he stopped 35 shots in a 1-0 series clincher ..... asking him about the game he joked that "all that white really made the puck stand out"

Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,175,271 times
White out needs to be stopped as home teams now wear dark uniforms

Add to the list seeing on the jumbotron the Cup being unpacked and getting polished in anticipation of its delivery to the winning team.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,945,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
the Teddy Bear Toss is a cool charity thing to do - but not really a strong tradition

I think the #1 tradition has to be the teams lining up to skate & shake hands at the end of a series .... no matter how it stings, how much you fought and bled throughout the series - at that point it's over .... one of those neat hockey things and hockey players are just a different breed

I have the playoff beard up there as well

As a one time Chicago resident, sadly I agree.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,945,456 times
My favorite tradition is when Dallas won in the playoffs I received oral sex from my gf at the time. I hope this is not a league wide tradition though.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Not a tradition at all - I have to say that in honor of that particular series & game, I met up with your GF at the time and put my skate in her crease ..... if you know what i mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey