Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,947,688 times

Advertisements

Good action, but there is still something missing...

...and that "something" is Gary Thorne doing the play-by-play; he truly brings the game to life...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,358,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Good action, but there is still something missing
Yeah, Chris Pronger!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:22 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,347,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Good action, but there is still something missing...

...and that "something" is Gary Thorne doing the play-by-play; he truly brings the game to life...
Agreed wholeheartedly In the words of Charles Barkley, it is "TRBL" that we only get Gary calling hockey games either at the NCAA Frozen Four or special events like World Championships.

Right now aside from Mike Emrick, Versus is missing a lot of style in the telecasts from broadcasters with the exception of Joe Beninati and John Forsland. For some reason Randy Hahn grates on my nerves when the Sharks are playing.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,947,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Agreed wholeheartedly In the words of Charles Barkley, it is "TRBL" that we only get Gary calling hockey games either at the NCAA Frozen Four or special events like World Championships.

Right now aside from Mike Emrick, Versus is missing a lot of style in the telecasts from broadcasters with the exception of Joe Beninati and John Forsland. For some reason Randy Hahn grates on my nerves when the Sharks are playing.
"Off the floor! On the Board! Paul Kariya!!!"

"..McCarty draws, McCarty in, McCarty....SCORES!! A Magnificent goal!! Darren McCarty!" ( McCarty scores the eventual Cup winner for Detroit in '97)

There are video clips of Thorne calling goals from various players..

Nobody calls a playoff goal like Gary Thorne.

NOBODY.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,739,162 times
Pathetic play by the Sabres. Ok the Flyers had the refs on their side the 1st 2 games and we conquered the 1st. Sad to say this last game at home was embarassing. Gerbe was the only one working his ass off

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 AM

Thoughts on tonight's games:

Got to agree with JazzyJeff on the Sabres, just were flat and played uninspired hockey. Can't do that with a team like the Flyers, Boucher played a great game.

Same thing with Lightning versus Pens. No pressure at all against Fleury, too many shots on the point rather than grinding and getting hard earned goals. Pens will probably lose the services of Chris Kunitz for a dumb elbow but Lightning will lose Steve Downie for his flying hit.

Bruins finally found a game to play and won game 3 over the Habs 4-2. Habs seemed lost in this one giving a goal away right in front of the net.

Finally, I said in my opening post that the key to the Wings/Coyotes was the experience of the Wings versus the Coyotes youth. Not only have the Wings shown the experience but they are playing as though they have the youth and the Coyotes are playing like old washed up players in a 4-2 loss tonight. This game was 2-0 in the first 3 minutes and could have easily been 5-0. I don't see Phoenix surviving past 5 games.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 PM

15,445 posts, read 25,874,182 times
Last year's Wings were worn out. This year they are looking good! All season long I felt like they were on the way down. They really flipped the switch for the playoffs. They'll be even better when Zetterberg gets back. Go Wings! 13 more wins to go!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,360,554 times
Quote:
I don't see Phoenix surviving past 5 games.
If that....... I have my broom already to celebrate a clean sweep tomorrow!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:10 AM

A light night on the schedule with only 2 games on the docket:

Hawks avoid the sweep in a huge way blasting the Canucks 7-2. Clearly the Canucks did not show up for this game and the Hawks dominated the majority of this game. Pretty much a snoozer after the second period.

Then we go to the Kings/Sharks game. Initially was a snoozer with the Kings going up 4-0 early in the second period and I'm thinking here we go again with the Sharks futility in the playoffs but all of a sudden the Sharks came alive and attacked hard cutting the margin to 4-3 before the Kings scored .14 later to make it 5-3. Then in the last 2 minutes, the Sharks scored twice to make it 5-5 at the end of the second period.

Deadlocked through the third, goes into OT and sharks score in the third minute of the OT to retake the series lead. What really trips me out is that once again Randy Hahn is calling the game and right after the goal goes "One of the greatest comebacks in NHL History"

Seriously???? Randy needs to cut back on the 5-Hour Energy because if anyone has been watching the commercials (History will be made), the Kings a long time ago were down 5-0 to the Oilers and came back to win in OT.

Time for night-night. Busy day tomorrow!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,446,362 times
Quote:
A light night on the schedule with only 2 games on the docket:

Hawks avoid the sweep in a huge way blasting the Canucks 7-2. Clearly the Canucks did not show up for this game and the Hawks dominated the majority of this game. Pretty much a snoozer after the second period.

Then we go to the Kings/Sharks game. Initially was a snoozer with the Kings going up 4-0 early in the second period and I'm thinking here we go again with the Sharks futility in the playoffs but all of a sudden the Sharks came alive and attacked hard cutting the margin to 4-3 before the Kings scored .14 later to make it 5-3. Then in the last 2 minutes, the Sharks scored twice to make it 5-5 at the end of the second period.

Deadlocked through the third, goes into OT and sharks score in the third minute of the OT to retake the series lead. What really trips me out is that once again Randy Hahn is calling the game and right after the goal goes "One of the greatest comebacks in NHL History"

Seriously???? Randy needs to cut back on the 5-Hour Energy because if anyone has been watching the commercials (History will be made), the Kings a long time ago were down 5-0 to the Oilers and came back to win in OT.
Actually Randy's quote was "one of the most remarkable comebacks in Stanley Cup playoff history"...and he happens to be correct.

The Sharks became only the fourth team, and the first in 25 years, to overcome a deficit of four or more goals in the NHL playoffs.

The others being:

Minnesota 5, Chicago 4 (OT) on April 28, 1985.
Los Angeles 6, Edmonton 5 (OT) on April 10, 1982.
Montreal 7, Boston 5 on April 8, 1971.

Last edited by Upton; 04-20-2011 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey