Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2022, 06:30 AM

12,914 posts, read 18,756,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The Julia Roberts film "Sleeping With the Enemy" was filmed in Abbeville. Do you plan to visit?

Remember George Clooney being spotted in Greenville while here to film Leatherheads. That was probably 10 years ago or more.

For me, it's kind of depressing that you don't want to see other places outside of Charleston and perhaps other hyped up cities. You'll never visit magical places like the Buffalo National River, Lost Valley trail, and Goat Trail to Big Bluff in Arkansas because it isn't in Charleston or a pretentious travel magazine.

I recommend putting aside Conde Nast and looking at websites like AllTrails instead if you are seeking natural beauty.
I’m sure Abbeville, beautiful and historic as it is, got a fair share of inspired visits from that movie. You’re projecting again. There are many places I want and plan to see. In the meantime, you can save your feelings of depression for something to be depressed about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 06:34 AM

And thanks, btw. I googled “alltrails charleston” and got pages of suggestions for Charleston-area outdoors adventures.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:04 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,069 times
Here are the South Carolina trail rankings on All Trails. https://www.alltrails.com/us/south-carolina

The highest rated one in the Charleston area is a portion of the Palmetto Trail north of Mount Pleasant. It is ranked #35. Most of the highest rated trails are in the Upstate. The Boardwalk Trail in Congaree National Park did make the top 10 and it is a solid trail. Probably the closest thing to the California redwoods in the southeast, in terms of the large tree trunk diameters.

It is surprising Charleston doesn't have several top 10 trails because the rankings factor in the number of reviews which generally helps trails in or near populated areas. With all of the tourists in Charleston, it seems like Charleston area trails would dominate this list.

My theory is people in Charleston are less active than in the Upstate, both residents and tourists.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
New movie starring Woody Harrelson and Laura Linney begins filming in Charleston
Movie locations are often selected because of tax breaks and perhaps other incentives. Charleston has beaches closer to the airport than the Outer Banks. Charleston makes more sense for a work related trip. Your point Charleston and the Outer Banks look similar doesn't really help sell a trip to Charleston.

Charleston proper doesn't have any state parks while the Outer Banks has NC's most visited state park, Jockey's Ridge. This state park has "tallest living sand dune system on the Atlantic coast". There is always the history of flight stuff and lighthouses to visit in the Outer Banks.

This Woody movie could be about a real life couple who was trapped inside a restaurant during the riot on King Street, or perhaps a wealthy couple in downtown Charleston that abuses drugs with socialites like Ravenel.

I'd probably watch that but you might not be happy with it.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-21-2022 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-22-2022, 10:54 AM

Through it all, Charleston is Charleston - old, new, chill, dynamic - Charleston is not busted. And no one is going to the wrong Carolina city or cities. Period.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Movie locations are often selected because of tax breaks and perhaps other incentives. Charleston has beaches closer to the airport than the Outer Banks. Charleston makes more sense for a work related trip. Your point Charleston and the Outer Banks look similar doesn't really help sell a trip to Charleston.

Charleston proper doesn't have any state parks while the Outer Banks has NC's most visited state park, Jockey's Ridge. This state park has "tallest living sand dune system on the Atlantic coast". There is always the history of flight stuff and lighthouses to visit in the Outer Banks.

This Woody movie could be about a real life couple who was trapped inside a restaurant during the riot on King Street, or perhaps a wealthy couple in downtown Charleston that abuses drugs with socialites like Ravenel.

I'd probably watch that but you might not be happy with it.
All I said is thanks for the AllTrails reference and that I found pages on Charleston-area trails. I don’t think of tourists coming to Charleston and then seeking out hiking trails as they would in Greenville after they’ve seen Main Street and Falls Park. So trail rankings are bound to be skewed, comparing the number of Lowcountry residents who go to the mountains to hike versus the number of Upstate residents who come to the coast to hike. Duh. Not to mention the number of metro Upstate residents versus the number of metro Charleston residents casting votes. Duh. Judging by social media comments, Charlestonians aren’t even cheerleaders as in trying to get people to move here or visit. I’m about it as far as I can tell, except for the CVB. Everyone else’s mantra is “We’re full. Go away.” Yet they keep coming, visiting and/or moving here. Yes, I know, people are visiting and moving to Greenville, too.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:38 PM

”Charlestonians aren’t even cheerleaders as in trying to get people to move here or visit. I’m about it as far as I can tell, except for the CVB.”

And The American Dream TV. Selling Charleston is their next series. Has Greenville been featured yet? If so, was it called Selling Greenville? Or selling Yeah, That Greenville? Or Selling Greenville, South Carolina?

https://holycitysinner.com/2022/09/2...XccOsclIjjI3rU

Old 09-22-2022, 06:03 PM

You seem like the kind of person who would be happier living in a city that doesn't as much hype, like Columbia. Your stanima is kind of a waste on an overexposed tourist city like Charleston. Columbia needs people like you.

The woman who wrote the article would probably be shocked she upset you. She probably didn't even visit Greenville.

She refers to Falls Park as Reedy Park in the article and doesn't mention the waterfall or Liberty Bridge. She probably just borrowed from the city tourism website and other travel articles about Greenville.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:53 PM

I trust the Liberty Bridge’s engineers. Wherever I lived, I would speak positively of my city without disparaging other cities, except sometimes in tit-for-tat defense of my city when it’s criticized in a thread like this one.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I trust the Liberty Bridge’s engineers. Wherever I lived, I would speak positively of my city without disparaging other cities, except sometimes in tit-for-tat defense of my city when it’s criticized in a thread like this one.
But I agree: Charleston does not need me; however, I won’t flatter myself or disparage a fine place like Columbia by insinuating that it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area