Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2022, 04:23 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Understand this is a problem in our judicial system on a national level but it doesn't seem like Main Street has been making national news like King Street for crime.
Understand you shouldn’t jinx Greenville’s luck. And I won’t assume that what happened at a Greenville cheerleader training camp could never happen in Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 04:50 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,698 times
A tourist is probably not going to be at a cheerleader training camp.

I've never said there's no crime on Main Street.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Football is definitely a big thing in the South. It’s a big thing in the U.S., but it’s not a near synonym.

When I think of the modern South, I think of a report that Go Verizon just published about the most business-savvy, most ambitious city in each state with southern cities ranking relatively well nationally.

Charleston is number one in SC in their report and number 20 nationally, so well in the top half. Some other southern cities were in the top half as well.
Don't see the connection to tourism but I think Greenville has a stronger business reputation than Charleston. The metro has the largest private sector job market in the state.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:57 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Cant compare Greenville to Charleston, its been a long time since Ive been to Charleston. Did go to Asheville a few weekends ago. Pretty setting but thats about it. really didn't see what hte big deal was. Bums everywhere, just kinda old feeling. Not really pretty just pretty meh. Reminded me a lot of Boulder. Not in a good way. Greenville>Asheville.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:05 PM

I read an article yesterday that said Asheville has had a 30% increase in violent crime in the past 5 years. Apparently the city has a shortage of police officers due to resignations. The number of homeless people has sky rocketed in recent years as well.

It seems like Greenville's tourism will benefit from this trend in Asheville unless the same thing happens here.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:48 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Cant compare Greenville to Charleston, its been a long time since Ive been to Charleston. Did go to Asheville a few weekends ago. Pretty setting but thats about it. really didn't see what hte big deal was. Bums everywhere, just kinda old feeling. Not really pretty just pretty meh. Reminded me a lot of Boulder. Not in a good way. Greenville>Asheville.

According to City-data statistics, Greenville’s crime rate is substantially higher than the national average; 89.4% higher than other U.S. cities. You really can’t compare Greenville to Asheville. They are both great cities in their own right. Asheville is a mountain town with an eclectic feel with many boutiques, specialty shops, art galleries, and unique restaurants.. Regarding ‘bums’, we frequent the south side of Asheville frequently and rarely see any. I agree - it does have the vibrant feel of Boulder.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-Carolina.html

Old 09-19-2022, 09:33 AM

Metro statistics won't tell you much about the areas tourist visit.

Sammy's perspective is common.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:44 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
According to City-data statistics, Greenville’s crime rate is substantially higher than the national average; 89.4% higher than other U.S. cities. You really can’t compare Greenville to Asheville. They are both great cities in their own right. Asheville is a mountain town with an eclectic feel with many boutiques, specialty shops, art galleries, and unique restaurants.. Regarding ‘bums’, we frequent the south side of Asheville frequently and rarely see any. I agree - it does have the vibrant feel of Boulder.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-Carolina.html
As I've had to mention on another metric. This one is flawed also. That metric is using a smaller city population metric vs the urban size Greenville really is. There are over 400k people in Greenville's urban area that come into the small city limits to do things. Instead of counting the 400k, they do their math against 70k. This artificially increases the rate. I can look at raw number and get a much clearer picture.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:09 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
As I've had to mention on another metric. This one is flawed also. That metric is using a smaller city population metric vs the urban size Greenville really is. There are over 400k people in Greenville's urban area that come into the small city limits to do things. Instead of counting the 400k, they do their math against 70k. This artificially increases the rate. I can look at raw number and get a much clearer picture.
Funny how statistics are ‘flawed’ if you don’t like what they say..

Old 09-19-2022, 05:11 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Funny how statistics are ‘flawed’ if you don’t like what they say..
They are flawed period. We in business know this. I guess you don't. And actually regardless of which metric is used. Raw number being as accurate as you can get, City-Data is showing Asheville has higher crime on both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area