Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2022, 10:35 AM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
It isn't sniping to talk about crime on the most prominent city tourism street in SC. Saturday's shooting was reported in national news outlets and the Charleston mayor issued a statement. Given Charleston is SC's most well known city, what happens in Charleston impacts the state's reputation significantly.

A Charleston resident posted this tweet about the shooting in response to the reporter I quoted previously:

"This was without a doubt the scariest night of my life. I hate working on King Street, every Saturday night is scary but this is beyond words. The heavier police presence has done nothing. It doesn't feel safer, it clearly ISN'T safer. I'm anxious to hear if everyone is okay"
“The most prominent city tourism street in SC” - That phrase and “busted” don’t go together.

“Charleston is SC’s most well known city.” - That statement and “busted” don’t go together.

The violent incidents are unfortunate, but they sometimes happen in large crowds of people after midnight. And a robbery and homicide can happen on any city street corner at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 05:06 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,698 times
I didn't use the term busted for Charleston. That was obvious tongue in cheek by another gentleman. But if a city keeps having crime national news made in its downtown, that can take a toll after a period of time. An example is the Underground in ATL. Major tourist streets like King St and Main St should be the safest in the state, in my view.

I've been going to downtown Greenville less the past two years because of the riots across the country in 2020. That is despite Greenville not having a big issue compared to most cities. Downtown areas seem like the most likely places to be the victim of a random violent act.

There's really nowhere I feel safer than the rural recreational areas of the Upstate, especially the state parks. If you have kids, you can't beat Oconee, Table Rock and Devil's Fork state parks for peace of mind.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-05-2022 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-06-2022, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I didn't use the term busted for Charleston. That was obvious tongue in cheek by another gentleman. But if a city keeps having crime national news made in its downtown, that can take a toll after a period of time. An example is the Underground in ATL. Major tourist streets like King St and Main St should be the safest in the state, in my view.

I've been going to downtown Greenville less the past two years because of the riots across the country in 2020. That is despite Greenville not having a big issue compared to most cities. Downtown areas seem like the most likely places to be the victim of a random violent act.

There's really nowhere I feel safer than the rural recreational areas of the Upstate, especially the state parks. If you have kids, you can't beat Oconee, Table Rock and Devil's Fork state parks for peace of mind.
Statistically - percentage-wise - murders and assaults probably happen on hiking trails as much as in downtowns. On the evening news the evening after this incident, King Street was teeming with people in the background, as always. I was just saying in response to the thread’s title once again re busted. BTW, the Food Network will feature Charleston as one of its first five destinations on “No-Recipe Road Trip with the Try Guys.”

Old 09-06-2022, 03:51 PM

I know, I know, Vaccinated Masker, old fogies don’t count in determining the best of this or that, but Wallet Hub just said Charleston’s the best place in the U.S. to retire to.

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/char...s-by-wallethub

Old 09-06-2022, 07:27 PM

Those WalletHub rankings seem like they are generated by high school kids.

Greenville and other Upstate cities have a better climate, better traffic situation, and housing at a better value than Charleston.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Statistically - percentage-wise - murders and assaults probably happen on hiking trails as much as in downtowns. On the evening news the evening after this incident, King Street was teeming with people in the background, as always. I was just saying in response to the thread’s title once again re busted. BTW, the Food Network will feature Charleston as one of its first five destinations on “No-Recipe Road Trip with the Try Guys.”
Given all of the tourists in Charleston, many of the people on King Street probably don't know about the crime issues down there, similar to how most people don't realize how many sharks are in the ocean down there.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Those WalletHub rankings seem like they are generated by high school kids.

Greenville and other Upstate cities have a better climate, better traffic situation, and housing at a better value than Charleston.
No different from the travel writer articles of which the one that inspired this thread is an example.

“Greenville and other Upstate cities have a better climate, better traffic situation, and housing at a better value than Charleston.” - subjective, and Wallet Hub must not think so. I scrolled slowly but didn’t see Greenville on the list of 180. Maybe it’s not big enough municipality-wise to be included in the study.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Given all of the tourists in Charleston, many of the people on King Street probably don't know about the crime issues down there, similar to how most people don't realize how many sharks are in the ocean down there.
On a comparison scale, state-wide or nationally, King Street does not have these “crime issues” you want to portray. That said, I repeat that it’s coming soon to a packed, late-night bar scene near you (the proverbial you). The problem all over SC is the courts that set such low bail and release offenders like a revolving door. Over the last two days, local news has said it was not a random shooting and that the suspect was out on bail. It’s a state legislature thing.

https://www.counton2.com/news/charle...g-st-shooting/

Old 09-07-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Like Charleston, Greenville’s downtown is safer than most, nevertheless: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...tputType%3Damp

Old 09-07-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
No different from the travel writer articles of which the one that inspired this thread is an example.

“Greenville and other Upstate cities have a better climate, better traffic situation, and housing at a better value than Charleston.” - subjective, and Wallet Hub must not think so. I scrolled slowly but didn’t see Greenville on the list of 180. Maybe it’s not big enough municipality-wise to be included in the study.
The Wallethub list has Wilmington Delaware as the 8th best retirement spot. Doesn't seem legit. Can't see anybody who had no connection to DE choosing to retire to Wilmington.

It has San Fran high on the list and it is expensive to live there.

This list don't work because many retirees want to be closer to mountains, beach, or warmer climates, but the list doesn't account for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area