Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2022, 05:58 PM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times

Advertisements

Charleston has a large percentage of tourists with the "college kids gone wild" mindset including many adults, on top of the large number of young people in college and working in the service industry down there.

For me, that doesn't scream ideal retirement location. It has potential to impact the experience of a tourist down there as well.

Last time I was in Charleston, there were a lot of loud frat brother types who say bro basically every sentence. They were like the angry steroid guy in Wedding Crashers.

This kayaker reports on the party atmosphere in Charleston even in the Cooper River lock. http://www.randomconnections.com/pad...inopolis-lock/ When I'm in nature, the only songs I want to hear are the sounds of nature.

Here's the money quote: "The boat traffic was really obnoxious with lots of drunk partiers who could care less if they ran over you."

I decided not to do the lock trip because of this trip report even though I had convinced myself that going down the Cooper River lock is a rite of passage for every SC native. It's just #More Peaceful in the Upstate. Note this blogger's background picture is one of the lakes at Table Rock.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-07-2022 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 05:17 AM

12,880 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The Wallethub list has Wilmington Delaware as the 8th best retirement spot. Doesn't seem legit. Can't see anybody who had no connection to DE choosing to retire to Wilmington.

It has San Fran high on the list and it is expensive to live there.

This list don't work because many retirees want to be closer to mountains, beach, or warmer climates, but the list doesn't account for that.
You could devise your own methodology and see what you come up with. If Greenville doesn’t come out on top, tweak the methodology until it does. Wonder if you could tweak it enough for Greenville to come out number one and Charleston last.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Given all of the tourists in Charleston, many of the people on King Street probably don't know about the crime issues down there, similar to how most people don't realize how many sharks are in the ocean down there.
The crime that happens in downtown Charleston is mostly committed by people who come here from the suburbs or from small towns across the Lowcountry. Case in point: a 20-year-old suspect from the other night’s incident lives an hour away, out on a cheap bond set by the state’s flawed judicial system that needs to be keeping these creeps locked up. Also, since the incident, two men from elsewhere were arrested downtown with illegal possession of guns. As the mayor said, illegal guns are everywhere, and Charleston has been lucky to have a violent crime rate well below the state average.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Charleston has a large percentage of tourists with the "college kids gone wild" mindset including many adults, on top of the large number of young people in college and working in the service industry down there.

For me, that doesn't scream ideal retirement location. It has potential to impact the experience of a tourist down there as well.

Last time I was in Charleston, there were a lot of loud frat brother types who say bro basically every sentence. They were like the angry steroid guy in Wedding Crashers.

This kayaker reports on the party atmosphere in Charleston even in the Cooper River lock. Paddling the Pinopolis Lock – Random Connections When I'm in nature, the only songs I want to hear are the sounds of nature.

Here's the money quote: "The boat traffic was really obnoxious with lots of drunk partiers who could care less if they ran over you."

I decided not to do the lock trip because of this trip report even though I had convinced myself that going down the Cooper River lock is a rite of passage for every SC native. It's just #More Peaceful in the Upstate. Note this blogger's background picture is one of the lakes at Table Rock.
The two commenters on the 2010 blog didn’t seem phased over the crowds. Yeah, no, don’t kayak down Charleston’s most popular waterways if you’re looking for peace and solitude. There are countless creeks and other inlet waterways off the beaten paths for that.

Also, like he said, try it in the off-peak season when it’s cooler.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The crime that happens in downtown Charleston is mostly committed by people who come here from the suburbs or from small towns across the Lowcountry. Case in point: a 20-year-old suspect from the other night’s incident lives an hour away, out on a cheap bond set by the state’s flawed judicial system that needs to be keeping these creeps locked up. Also, since the incident, two men from elsewhere were arrested downtown with illegal possession of guns. As the mayor said, illegal guns are everywhere, and Charleston has been lucky to have a violent crime rate well below the state average.
Just in: four people killed and several wounded in a city in another state (I won’t say where - anywhere USA - nowhere’s immune.) in which the mayor blames the weak judicial system for allowing criminals back out on the street. Unless the criminals who are let out on cheap bonds near where you live are inherently different from those elsewhere, don’t gloat if such a tragedy hasn’t happened in your town.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You could devise your own methodology and see what you come up with. If Greenville doesn’t come out on top, tweak the methodology until it does. Wonder if you could tweak it enough for Greenville to come out number one and Charleston last.

That would be easy to do if I put emphasis on proximity to mountains, waterfalls, and major college football

College football is the thing most associated with the modern south. The only team in Charleston is Charleston Southern.

College of Charleston not having a football team is kind of embarrassing

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-08-2022 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-08-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
That would be easy to do if I put emphasis on proximity to mountains, waterfalls, and major college football

College football is the thing most associated with the modern south. The only team in Charleston is Charleston Southern.

College of Charleston not having a football team is kind of embarrassing
The Citadel, but there’s too much else going on. Football-modern South - hmm.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The Citadel, but there’s too much else going on. Football-modern South - hmm.
Why do you say hmmmm?

Old 09-09-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Just in: four people killed and several wounded in a city in another state (I won’t say where - anywhere USA - nowhere’s immune.) in which the mayor blames the weak judicial system for allowing criminals back out on the street. Unless the criminals who are let out on cheap bonds near where you live are inherently different from those elsewhere, don’t gloat if such a tragedy hasn’t happened in your town.
Understand this is a problem in our judicial system on a national level but it doesn't seem like Main Street has been making national news like King Street for crime.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Why do you say hmmmm?
Football is definitely a big thing in the South. It’s a big thing in the U.S., but it’s not a near synonym.

When I think of the modern South, I think of a report that Go Verizon just published about the most business-savvy, most ambitious city in each state with southern cities ranking relatively well nationally.

Charleston is number one in SC in their report and number 20 nationally, so well in the top half. Some other southern cities were in the top half as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area