Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times

Advertisements

So this is from a purchase early in the Eclipse Mania cycle, before the list of recommended suppliers and the subsequent flood of counterfeits stamped with the recommended markings:

Quote:
Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer. We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse.

Amazon is applying a balance for the purchase price to Your Account (please allow 7-10 days for this to appear on Your Account). There is no need for you to return the product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 07:02 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
So this is from a purchase early in the Eclipse Mania cycle, before the list of recommended suppliers and the subsequent flood of counterfeits stamped with the recommended markings:
interesting - thanks - I ordered my eclipse glasses from Amazon months ago - these glasses were manufactured from Rainbow Symphony - made in USA - with the ISO 12312-2:2015 stamp - I've tested them and they seem to be a real item - what do I need look for if it's counterfeit?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM

The best bet would be to check with Amazon - fortunately they are being proactive and if the supply chain cannot be confirmed for previous orders, they are offering a refund.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:20 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I ordered mine through Amazon and did not get the notice (and even checked online at messages) and FFB (formerly Firefly buys direct) is a listed vendor.

They do have the 3 minute use as opposed to the continuous use but you just can't look more than three minutes at a time and can look multiple times over several hours. Be sure to check that as well! [some to a newer standard are rated continuous and others are rated 3 minutes at a time over several hours]

I will say the view through them is pitch black but I can see dim lights when I look at my LED light fixtures in the ceiling but I gather that is "ok" sure gives you things to be concerned about. These are going on grandkids eyes

With our luck, it will probably rain all day

Old 08-13-2017, 10:31 PM

140 posts, read 271,729 times
Anyone know if there is any place local where the glasses are available? I checked Amazon and the only ones available are ridiculously priced. I only need 2 pairs.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:24 AM

Mast General Store downtown had a sign yesterday for eclipse glasses.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millers1987 View Post
Anyone know if there is any place local where the glasses are available? I checked Amazon and the only ones available are ridiculously priced. I only need 2 pairs.
I had previously ordered the ones from Amazon, but a few weeks ago I tried to contact the vendor and they were no longer around, so I asked for a refund from Amazon. (I also got the email on Friday from Amazon about the mass recall).

The ones that NASA recommends are sold by Lowe's. I ordered online and they came in a couple of days. You may want to check the local Lowe's to see if they have any.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:22 AM

Many news sites are sounding the alarm about cities that will see the total eclipse will be jam packed. “It’s essentially like hosting the Super Bowl without having to build a stadium.”

That sounds very exciting, but for small cities like ours that aren’t used to hosting major sporting events, hosting that many people may put a strain on both infrastructure and resources. Plan on:
  • Traffic is going to be bad: According to Citylab, gridlocks are expected for several days before and after the eclipse, and getting in and out of the towns could feel like a major evacuation.
  • EMS, fire fighters, and police may be slower to respond than usual: Though some cities are pulling in additional personnel and positioning them in key positions ahead of traffic, it’s still possible that emergency responders could get locked in and slowed down.

So, if you are planning on making a trek out to one of the prime eclipse viewing locations, make sure you give yourself plenty of time, drive carefully, and be aware of potential strains on infrastructure.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/08...clipse/535740/

Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Think I will stay at home. Crowds and traffic not my idea of a good eclipse day however I think the media as usual is making a really silly big deal of this. People have jobs and lives and many can't just take off and drive to this area for an eclipse.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Think I will stay at home. Crowds and traffic not my idea of a good eclipse day however I think the media as usual is making a really silly big deal of this. People have jobs and lives and many can't just take off and drive to this area for an eclipse.
The good thing is that the Eclipse is on a Monday. That will allow visitors to come for the weekend and stay and see our great area. Once the show is over, they may be able to get home and back to work on Tuesday. I'm sure traffic leaving this area will be worse than normal Monday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area