Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 AM

9,536 posts, read 9,855,915 times

Advertisements

One year from today @ 2:38 pm, the Upstate will be one of the few areas in the world that will get to experience a total solar eclipse.

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Communities in South Carolina!

Here is a map: USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

It's the first total eclipse on the continental US since 1979 and first to sweep the entire country since 1918.

For lots of educational information, plus a place to buy solar viewing glasses, go here:

Total solar eclipse of 2017 | GreatAmericanEclipse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 07:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,468,317 times
So exited for this. FYI you'll get the best view between Anderson and Easley with Greenwood and Laurens. Greenville will be in the path, the time of total darkness will be a little bit shorter. Spartanburg will get the worst view as it'll be just outside totality (aka the sky won't turn dark), so Spartanburg and Gaffney folks are gonna have to make a quick drop 85.

Expect a lot of Charlotte, Atlanta, and beyond folks to travel up here for the weekend. It'll be packed.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:28 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,911,549 times
I have some pics we made through a welding helmet of it somewhere. If I can dig them up and somehow get my scanner to work Ill post them.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 AM

9,536 posts, read 9,855,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
So exited for this. FYI you'll get the best view between Anderson and Easley with Greenwood and Laurens. Greenville will be in the path, the time of total darkness will be a little bit shorter. Spartanburg will get the worst view as it'll be just outside totality (aka the sky won't turn dark), so Spartanburg and Gaffney folks are gonna have to make a quick drop 85.

Expect a lot of Charlotte, Atlanta, and beyond folks to travel up here for the weekend. It'll be packed.
I bet there could be money to made here. If you own some land in the path, you could rent out spaces...sell dark glasses...food, beverages...

Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I bet there could be money to made here. If you own some land in the path, you could rent out spaces...sell dark glasses...food, beverages...
True. You don't need wide open space as everything around you will go dark, but I can still see lots of landowners inviting people in their cars and trucks to come park out in their open fields to enjoy the show for a few dollars.

It'll definitely be an economic boost for the area. I see could people coming from as far as Birmingham. Businesses and roads will be flooded with out of towners.

If SC is smart, we still advertising this now like Wyoming is doing.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 AM

17,628 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I will probably be one of a few hundred people who, assuming I'm still alive in a year (hey, you never know).. Will have been in the path of totallity for the past 2 US total Solar Eclipses..

I was out on Oahu, HI at Ft Shafter in 1991 for the eclipse there.. And, if it's anything like it was there.. You're going to have everyone under the sun handing out the eclipse glasses. I'd imagine that Spinx and perhaps QT and the like will be handing them out with a purchase.

I wish I had kept a pair of them.. We had some fun with them sticking our faces on the Xerox machine with the glasses on afterwards.. But I likely wound up trashing them shortly after that.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,315,035 times
Greenville appears to be in the path of totality.. you don't need to drive anywhere to get the best it has to offer unless it's cloudy.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Greenville appears to be in the path of totality.. you don't need to drive anywhere to get the best it has to offer unless it's cloudy.
Greenville will be right on the fringe. For the best and longest show, just shifting west to Pickens and Anderson Counties would be a good idea.

Spartanburg and everything east will definately have to.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:49 AM

477 posts, read 842,487 times
It's a cool experience. I saw one growing up in Berlin, Germany in 1999. They had glasses in every newspaper. DO NOT LOOK AT IT WITHOUT GLASSES. It will mess up your eyes.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:46 PM

17,628 posts, read 15,332,280 times
I just ordered a box of glasses.. We're still 5 months out.. Here's hoping for good weather.

If you go on Amazon, you can order a box of 30 of the glasses for $28.50.. Eligible for Prime, so.. Can get them in 2 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area