Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times

Advertisements

I would like to start a discussion about Tiger Woods but not from the gossipy aspect. My question is about principals:
What does America want from Tiger Woods and other celebrities? Tiger Woods is a golfer, not the Pope. As long as he didn't brake the law, what's the issue?
1) Why do people care what he does in his private life?
2) What these women who stepped forward want? (Aside from money and 10 min fame. As far as I know nobody accesses him of rape).
3) A female reporter, broadcasting from a nearby place asked: "but where is everybody?" (meaning she didn't know where TW and his family members were). What kind of question is that? Why should she know where he was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 PM

105 posts, read 353,433 times
Tiger Woods has made nice money from endorsements that traded on his squeeky clean image. America feels betrayed by someone who didn't live up to his public persona.

Unfortunately, these private dramas are America's Shakespeare. We see a hero brought down by his fatal flaw. By crucifying him publicly, we deter adultery.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:38 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
Tiger Woods has made nice money from endorsements that traded on his squeeky clean image. America feels betrayed by someone who didn't live up to his public persona.

Unfortunately, these private dramas are America's Shakespeare. We see a hero brought down by his fatal flaw. By crucifying him publicly, we deter adultery.
Yes, I think the bolded is it. It's almost as if he cheated on everybody, not just his wife.

The same thing when a celeb dies. People didn't know this guy (or girl) yet they show up at their homes and leave candles and teddy bears that get soggy in the rain.

JFK, Jr. and Carolyn Bissett lived near where I worked when they died. Their whole street was covered with crap and written messages from people who never knew them. And then idiots like me went to gauk at the idiots who were doing the pseudo-mourning.

So Tiger pseudo-cheated on everyone. I guess.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:29 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
There are a lot of incomplete answers to the OP questions.

For some reason, we all tend to be a little voyeuristic, and have a little too much interest in the intimacies of other peoples' lives. We also tend to be a little idolatrous, putting celebrities on a pedestal and practically worshiping them. Then, since we have put celebrities on these pedestals, we want them to live up to our expectations. We also tend to be gossipy, and love to share the latest dish about celebrities. "Did you hear that there is a TWELFTH woman that now claims to have had an affair with Tiger? OMG!!!" And finally, we tend to be a little sadistic. We put people on pedestals, then derive some little bit of perverse pleasure when we find that they're no better than we are - in fact, maybe even a little worse.

We can blame the celebrities for their over-the-top lifestyles, but we're probably more to blame than they are.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:36 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Absolutely. This trend was bred and born in the US and only later spread all over the world. However, what sets us apart is our expectations. We crown a king and expect him/her to be righteous. With high morals. However, when the king is reveled to be naked, we respond hysterically. The king's name can be Mike Tyson, Michael Vick, Michael Jackson or Britney Spears. The problem is that these people never accepted or adopted the "righteous" part. They really don't understand that part.
Yes, the French or the Dutch also have celebrities, but their expectations from these celebrities are a little different from ours.
True while these in bold did not ask to be placed on a pedestal being famous makes them high profile and when crimes are committed while these crimes happen everyday due to their stat. it is obvious that they will be scrutinized.
Mike Tyson, along with fouls in the ring he also beat his wife and last I heard Domestic Violence is a crime.
Michael Vick, engaged in illegal dog fights and made a profit while doing so while many animals suffered.
Britt Spears, I feel bad at times at how her personal life has been torn to shreds however "Child endangerment" is a crime, ( Driving a car as her infant sat on her lap unrestrained)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I would like to start a discussion about Tiger Woods but not from the gossipy aspect. My question is about principals:
What does America want from Tiger Woods and other celebrities? Tiger Woods is a golfer, not the Pope. As long as he didn't brake the law, what's the issue?
1) Why do people care what he does in his private life?
2) What these women who stepped forward want? (Aside from money and 10 min fame. As far as I know nobody accesses him of rape).
3) A female reporter, broadcasting from a nearby place asked: "but where is everybody?" (meaning she didn't know where TW and his family members were). What kind of question is that? Why should she know where he was?
1. As you stated "Tiger Woods is a golfer NOT the Pope" TW portrayed a "All American Persona" But it is we who dubbed him as thus, we as a society tend to idolize those whom reach a certain status, it is "us" that place ordinary people whom at times do extraordinary things as role models. I am not condoning what he did but as you stated he has broken no laws.
2. All aspiring somebodies whom are jumping on the train.."smh"
3. To keep the story going.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:49 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,064 times
Quote:
True that. He has publicists and other firms projecting an all American image, while in reality he is a dirty, dirty b*stard. That is Hypocrisy and people tend to frown upon it.

Either:
a) Don't get married. Derek Jeter would be a good example.
b) If you get married.... marry someone that might understand certain "transgressions"

That kills me when endorsed celebrities want their privacy. Your face is plastered on half of the billboards in the land and all over every shopping aisle. This is not how one accomplishes privacy.

And as far as "everyone caring" as the OP posts... not sure everyone cares so much as this is just the latest media noise. It will fade. Tiger will be forever tarnished, but people will move on and he will be back kicking everyone's tail on the links soon enough.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 PM

191 posts, read 457,704 times
I do think there are many who over-obsess about celebrities (the JFK Jr. incident mentioned above is really ludicrous), however, many celebrities are more than happy to be the subject of obsession when it is sunny and positive. You can't ask the general public to watch your every move when you are doing something awesome and then be irritated when they watch you doing something ridiculous as well.

As someone who does not read People Magazine, I was still somewhat saddened by the Tiger incident. However, I like marriage and honesty and commitment. I think it is a beautiful thing. So the slight sadness I felt about Tiger, I would have felt about my neighbor or coworker. It is just an unfortunate, and awful place for a family to be.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:23 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Im tired of hearing about tiger. He messed up & is going to now lose alot of money & respect from people. He wont from me though cause i dont care for golf & he did nothing to me. The 12 women are bimbos & dumb as dirt. In time this will pass.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Is anybody remembering that Michael Jackson died 6 months ago?

Didn't think so.

This too shall pass...

Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
1. I didn't care before. I don't care what he endorsed or anyone else for that matter.

2. I don't care now. He could move to a tropical Island and take up cannibalism for all I care.

3. I find the people that get into these topics, post incessantly on them, watch TMZ and other gossip shows\websites\rags a little disturbing. ESPECIALLY when they are hounding someone that is going through tragedy not of their doing and separate from their fame. (Swayze's cancer, John Travolta's kid dying etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates