Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

I just read this opinion piece here.

Tiger, Barack, and the Law of Transitivity

We are staring because we've been had. Betrayed. We see now that the image was all a fraud. The talent was real. But the things that made the public like Tiger personally -- the low-key demeanor, manners, and sweet smile of countless sports-page photos, magazine covers, political analogies, and most important, product endorsements, was an act. That would be betrayal enough. But it wasn't just Woods' act. The larger lesson here is about how much artifice -- sustained, deliberate deception -- goes into the construction of a public persona when there is profit to be made or power to be had.

So just thinking about this - people close to Tiger knew his character, and hid it from the public in order to make a buck - big companies, media companies, other golfers/caddies, and Tiger himself.

The big companies had very little risk versus large rewards. They got to use Tiger's name in their ads. Tiger has now fallen - he pays the price, and the companies (if they choose) silently back away. Something doesn't seem right about that - but Tiger profited from everything also - so why should I feel bad?

We also now have evidence that the media no longer "reports" the information. They will cover stories if it's in their best interests. They need to take a hit from this also.

If it was Adam "Pac-Man" Jones, or Allen Iverson - it would be no big deal. Why? Because they never tried to cover their character to this extent for profit. And also the majority of people would expect black men with the hood persona to act this way.

The truth has a way of eventually working itself out - and the cash cow is now on the chopping block.

If Tiger's character was out in the open - he would be similar to John Daly with better golfing ability. The endorsement money would not be there.

#1 - If in his shoes, would you take this path knowing that the truth would eventually work it's way out, or would you be truthful and earn 10 to 20 times less money??

#2 - How much are the other companies responsible for covering the truth that lead to this public meltdown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 12:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
No one is responsible except Woods. You would thnik after so many of these hearo types have gotten caught they would relaise its just a matter of time. But apparently the are like the criminals who thnik they will never get caught or if they do they can get away with it at trqil. Its called conning yourself that your different that others.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:03 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
First of all, we have had evidence for a very long time about the media. If people are not acquainted with Ben Bagdikian then they should work on it.

Secondly, why are we looking for a guilty party?

If there is anyone that should feel betrayed then it should be his wife. Period.

Why are the people a victim again?

Oh, because they have no life whatsoever and must live vicariously through someone else.

So, #1.........if someone is going to shred me then they wait like little vultures on the side lines. So, I take my money and walk either way. More now, less later or less now and less later.

#2...... these are corporations, when has a corporation ever been saintly? You either recognize that we are all human and everybody has their own stuff going on or you continue to be shocked that people have affairs. They are selling you a concept and one which people like to buy into. When you stop buying into it then the game does not work anymore. When you stop allowing corporations to define good and bad then they don't have anyone to sell it to.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM

31 posts, read 53,726 times
People must have very boring lives if they can get so concerned about other peoples' lives that they have to hear about where they're putting their junk on the 10 o'clock news. Who cares? Was it your junk? No, it was his junk. Maybe if the people who actually care one way or another about this had somewhere to put their junk they wouldn't be so excited over it anymore.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
First of all, we have had evidence for a very long time about the media. If people are not acquainted with Ben Bagdikian then they should work on it.

Secondly, why are we looking for a guilty party?

If there is anyone that should feel betrayed then it should be his wife. Period.

Why are the people a victim again?

Oh, because they have no life whatsoever and must live vicariously through someone else.

So, #1.........if someone is going to shred me then they wait like little vultures on the side lines. So, I take my money and walk either way. More now, less later or less now and less later.

#2...... these are corporations, when has a corporation ever been saintly? You either recognize that we are all human and everybody has their own stuff going on or you continue to be shocked that people have affairs. They are selling you a concept and one which people like to buy into. When you stop buying into it then the game does not work anymore. When you stop allowing corporations to define good and bad then they don't have anyone to sell it to.
I agree - true victim is wife and kids.

Tiger is definitely guilty - I am not taking any of that away from him - he earned his due. I would like to hope that someone in these corporations tried to talk some sense into him along the way - and were not just spectators watching his demise.

Re #1 - I would take less money and be truthful.

Re #2 - Corporations not really responsible - other than lack of human regard if they knew about the behavior.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 PM

744 posts, read 1,210,166 times
I think the answer to your 1st question would be I would take less $ now and live my life right. In the end the money will not be able to fill the void you will have from having the friends around you back away, and the 2nd question is the corporations are fulfilling a demand of their stock holders to turn a profit, we can not blame them for hiring a guy that sells product unless they know he is doing illegal acts (not immoral acts).

Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
But, what makes you think that your life is "good" enough?

Further, is there anyone that you are related to or friends with (current or past) that could not be used against you?

Old 12-09-2009, 06:16 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,824 times
Why does anyone give this story time of day? He's a man who hits a ball with a stick. Whoop-de-effin-do. Not exactly anyone of importance.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 AM

195 posts, read 293,876 times
I got sick and tired of watching professional golf coverage and seeing Tiger Woods 10 strokes back and hearing his name mentioned by the announcers 10 times an hour even if he was not in the hunt. It was almost like they had a rule that by law they had to mention Tigers name so many times an hour.

I have seen Tiger quite a few times in person. The fans call his name, try to get an autograph, wish him good luck and not so much as a smile. He acts like the people are not there. A certain amount of distance is required because he can not talk to everyone but I have seen other players do a better job with the fans. Tiger just seemed like a jerk.

Another thing I noticed about Tiger Woods was the incredible security presence he had following him every where he went on the golf course. Other great players, like Phil Mickelson, had no security but Tiger had 10 heavely armed police officers following him every where he went. I was told that there was an equal number of plain clothes security men following him also.

I always wondered if Tiger had a different name and was not biracial (which is very hip now), he would not have so much press.

I am sure once he gets back on tour he will need to zone out even further and redouble his security team because he will be getting cat calls not cries of praise.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 AM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Why does anyone give this story time of day? He's a man who hits a ball with a stick. Whoop-de-effin-do. Not exactly anyone of importance.
Exactly. I don't know the man. He does not personally affect me or my actions. His personal life is none of my concern. He makes a lot of money playing golf. That's nice. It beats digging ditches or sitting in a cubicle. But why should his domestic activities be of any interest to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates